Stick Coil Mod - a how too , I hope !

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Stick Coil Mod - a how too , I hope !

Post by banner001 »

Unkepttoenails wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:55 am
Would anyone be able to post the length of the CBR 600 sticks along with the dismeter I can't tell if they will fit my 250 but if they would I'd imagine it'd run much much better . I would be a bit concerned if they will spark fast enough but it's worth a shot . Thanks guys

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
Thought i recognised that username :D

Ive sold my stick coils that i had on my 400, but ill go and do a quick "by eye" reckoning for you tomorrow and see on my zxr250 if i think they would have fit (from memory of what they looked like)...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Unkepttoenails
My Bike: Zxr 400 H1

Post by Unkepttoenails »

banner001 wrote:
Unkepttoenails wrote:
Would anyone be able to post the length of the CBR 600 sticks along with the dismeter I can't tell if they will fit my 250 but if they would I'd imagine it'd run much much better . I would be a bit concerned if they will spark fast enough but it's worth a shot . Thanks guys

Ive sold my stick coils that i had on my 400, but ill go and do a quick "by eye" reckoning for you tomorrow and see on my zxr250 if i think they would have fit (from memory of what they looked like)...
Yours truly has returned Image
That'd be great id appreciate that it would help free up some space in my zxr hopefully get to to run

PetrolHeed
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by PetrolHeed »

Unkepttoenails wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 pm
banner001 wrote:
Unkepttoenails wrote:

Can I tell me what Stick Coils will fit a ZXR 400 L9?

Yours truly has returned Image
That'd be great id appreciate that it would help free up some space in my zxr hopefully get to to run

PetrolHeed
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by PetrolHeed »

Can anyone tell me what Stick Coils I'd need for my ZXR400 L9. And where to source them. Cheers
royboy
My Bike: zxr400

Post by royboy »

could i have pics of wiring diagram, please
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

royboy wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:05 pm
could i have pics of wiring diagram, please
It's in the very first post...
royboy

Post by royboy »

hi, will this mod ,be ok for 400L,as i have used your mod ,but have no spark at the plugs,is it possible ,all the plugs are no good?,
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Yes it's for the H and l models, maybe your coils are dead, or plugs, or you have wired them in wrong?

What testing have you done?
royboy

Post by royboy »

i have,12volts at all 4 sticks,top and bottom,but no spark at plug tip?have tried the the ignitor from my other zxr400 track bike,but no luck,no spark,the crank sensor,i have tried from the other 400,but again no luck,i have total loss ignition,from your diagram,i have power at the clocks-oil light-n/light-fan-rad sensor-and starter motor,but no spark,i hope this helps ?
royboy

Post by royboy »

i have,12volts at all 4 sticks,top and bottom,but no spark at plug tip?have tried the the ignitor from my other zxr400 track bike,but no luck,no spark,the crank sensor,i have tried from the other 400,but again no luck,i have total loss ignition,from your diagram,i have power at the clocks-oil light-n/light-fan-rad sensor-and starter motor,but no spark,i hope this helps ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

If you have 12V at the coils/sticks, and you have connected your pickup coil then your CDi is dead or you have a break in your wiring, or someother issue, I. E. No resistor on grey wire, or dead plugs

If its a full total loss loom there is very little to it, and if its not giving a spark with the original coils then it's likely a CDi or loom wiring issue.

Has this loom ever worked since you created it?
royboy

Post by royboy »

royboy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:30 pm
hi, banner,zxr400 L no spark,found the problem made my own new loom,had got my ic wires crossed,runs nice ,my thanks for your help.
Raishin_27
My Bike: ZXR400 L7

Post by Raishin_27 »

I just reply to this to say thank you guys! I often had ignition problems on my bike and as soon as I discovered this possibility I looked for those honda parts and saturday I did the mod, today I had the opportunity to test it a bit and now runs way way better!
Seems to have forgotten starting problems all of a sudden!
And without oem coils everything looks tidier!
Thank you guys!
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Hello folks,

Looking to refit my cbr stick coils back on my 400 after some dyno runs. Long story short but one minute I’d get 30 bhp then the next run jump up to 59/62 bhp.

I could hear it dropping a cylinder (Only after it got warm) and after changing the plugs still had the same problem so I’m guessing the coil packs.

Has anyone noticed any resistance issues with using the CBR or any make for that matter in their stick coil mods?

Just wondering if the sticks had a much different resistance would the loom over heat etc?

Thanks
Schumo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Schumo »

Hi,

I just came across this mod and thought about doing it to my L3 which im rebuilding right now.

Are these the correct plugs?
aliexpress.com/item/1005002422920931.html