debaffling exhaust

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

ZXRSHAUN
My Bike: ZX4R L3

debaffling exhaust

Post by ZXRSHAUN »

Ive been reading that the link pip before the end can is quite restrictive and by removing the baffles helps it to perform better, how is this done and is it worth doing, if so what gains would i benefit from if any. or if im im talking rubbish please let me know. thanks.
ZX4R L3
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: debaffling exhaust

Post by masterofinsanity »

i'm assuming you mean the baffles in the end can, as far as i know there isn't any in the link pipe.unless you have a kwak race exhaust like mori mans?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
ZXRSHAUN

Post by ZXRSHAUN »

yes i mean the link pipe in the standard exhaust as i have looked and even pulled some wadding out but havnt removed the perforated metal inside the pipe.
ZX4R L3
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Didnt know the link pipes were baffled on standard pipes. Sure its standard?

I know micron pipes are baffled.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

standard and micron systems have baffles in the link pipe .. it does make a bit of a difference .. but not much .. I de-baffled one once just because it had started to disintegrate and the rattle annoyed me. At the same time i hammered a steel rod through the stock exhaust untill it was just a shell..

It sounded better .. did it improve performance ? i dont think so.

oh, yeh .. to get it all out its a case of cutting the link pipe off the collecter, emptying it out then welding it all up .. ( I cheated, I cut through it, ripped out the internals then wrapped beer cans round the join and clamped it with some jubilee clips) Its not really worth the hassle.

what you can do .. is cut the link pipe off, and replace it with a new one made from 50mm tubing .. this wil give "some" performance gain .. but really, unless you can do it all yourself, with stuff you already own .. i doubt getting this done will be any cheaper than buying a second hand stainless system.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Agree with zimm on this one, if it had been a Micron system then worth doing but on a stock system the headers strangle the bike and are the main power killers.

BTW, MOI the race pipe doesn't have baffling in the link pipe - it's straight through :smt003

I've got another "project" 4-1 system in the cupboard :smt103 After seeing the Dyno graph for it I couldn't resist :smt098
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

zimm wrote:oh, yeh .. to get it all out its a case of cutting the link pipe off the collecter, emptying it out then welding it all up .. ( I cheated, I cut through it, ripped out the internals then wrapped beer cans round the join and clamped it with some jubilee clips) Its not really worth the hassle.

Zimm - great - not only is this my kind of "Can-do engineering" (scuse the pun) but it combines a bit of beer drinking as an integral part of the job. Baz - can I nominate for a Zxrworld "biker build off" type award!!!!! : biggrin
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
ZXRSHAUN

Post by ZXRSHAUN »

thanks alot for the help just curious more than anything as was a bit baffled ba dum cha when io saw them in the pipe, what do peaople recomend for a set of stainless header pipes then?
ZX4R L3
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

ZXRSHAUN wrote: what do peaople recomend for a set of stainless header pipes then?
buy ones that fit a zxr400 :pmsl
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
ZXRSHAUN

Post by ZXRSHAUN »

yep, what make then which are the best for performance gains i know alot of people use the beet system for racing and micron on the road but which would be the best just for a sunday blast but with some trackdays.
ZX4R L3
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

personally i'd go for a micron system.