Enhancements / I know what I'm saving for!!!

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

hoddie
My Bike: In between bikes

Enhancements / I know what I'm saving for!!!

Post by hoddie »

I passed my test and bought a zx4r! :D But whilst I save up for the insurance, looking at mods. I notice that a lot of people say that lightweight wheels do as much to the performance of a bike as any other mod, but I cant find definitively the exact wheel dimensions of the zxr, so I can see if Dymag or BST do some wheels. Any help would be hot :D Thanks guys :)

Obviously they're 17 inches, but whats the width? And what other measurements do I need to know? And what mods are needed?

I know this topic's been done to death, but can't actually find anywhere a post stating the sizes of the wheels...
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Enhancements

Post by richr »

If i were you save your money for insurance as you will be restricted for two years anyway

:smt003
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

ZXR400 Dymags = ££££££££££££££££££££

Does it run ok? Serviced? Carb balance, valve clearances, check brakes are up to scratch etc... Make sure it's in good health before you start modding :smt002
Change of rear shock is a well documented upgrade, something I plan on doing soon
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Through a ZX6r -F1 shock in there.

Piss easy to do, shave 1mm off either side of the top mount on the shock and it will fit into the height adjuster like a well lubed thingamabob
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
hoddie

Post by hoddie »

I meant for after the insurance and also, I plan on doing the bike up to be the best. I don't plan on selling it for a few years. Do you know the wheel dimensions? :L
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Seems to me your question would be better directed at the companies that make wheels...heres a link to start you off

http://www.dymag.com/

Oh and cheapest dymags are £1050 plus VAT add the extras like sprocket carrier and discs or disc carrier...............and you'll be getting near the £2K mark

and that is a special offer price time limited.

now off you go and do some research for your self you dont need the wheel sizes................cos the guys that make em will know.
hoddie

I know what I'm saving for!!!

Post by hoddie »

http://www.dynopro-racing.co.uk/achievements.shtml

Kawasaki ZXR400

Modify cylinder head
Modify pistons
Supply fit ram air box
Supply bellmouth
Blueprint gearbox for better gear change
Replace all rings and shells
supply re profile Cams install adjustable gears
Modify Cylinder block / cases
Modify valve springs
Supply special angle one piece flat face valve
Modify Clutch basket
Modify carbs (cv or flat slides for flat slides plus 5% power in varying places)
Supply electronic ignition
Modify crank
Remove fit engine- run in and set up on dyno include all oils

Power is up from around 57bhp to 73bhp 82+ bhp can be achieved on oversize piston kits

+0.5mm and +1mm pistons now available very special design please call

Total cost £2635
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: I know what I'm saving for!!!

Post by cargo »

funny enough I've got 76hp and it cost me a LOT less than that.............but feel free to spend your money in the shop with big windows
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

I'll just leave this here....

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=13464
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

:pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl

have you actually bought a bike yet ? ? ?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Unless you are at the top of your game as a racer a set of Dymags are going to make absolutely zero difference whatsoever to the performance you can get out of your bike on the road. Plus you have to declare the mod to the insurance which means some insurers won't touch you - being newly qualified they are probably the cheap insurers for you too.

And if you hit a pothole with a set of Dymags on ............ well, budget for another set.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
hoddie

Re: Enhancements / I know what I'm saving for!!!

Post by hoddie »

:ffs
I swear you lot have it in for me......

And if the Dymags are that crap, why would they be allowed to be sold?

And you lot have the time and energy and a spare bike to be able to do all that to your bikes yourself, whereas I need it done professionally if I want it doing at all.....

:rant
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

hoddie wrote:And if the Dymags are that crap, why would they be allowed to be sold?
Because they are for track use.... and as Tirpitz said one pothole and they are fuxord.
How many tracks have potholes?

How are you going to pay for the astronomical insurance policy when you declare "Oh Hai! I haz teh Dymags wheelz innit, they make my bike teh fastest"
You will have to declare them. If you dont, one claim and you are screwed.
CaNsA wrote:My advice....
Learn how to ride the bike properly.
Spend the money on decent tyres, HG replacement, braided lines, oil, pads, fork seals and petrol.
I stand by this.
Braided lines & rear shock are the best upgrades you can do for the least price.

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

@hoddie, save you cash for internet "get-rich-quick" schemes and penis enlargement pills...

carbon fiber wheels are strong, but un-repairable, a damaged metal (non-magnesium) wheel can be repaired easily, once carbon cracks its in the bin.
if you are really wanting to go for lighter wheels get some forged ally wheels (if there are any manufacturers out there?).

but a few hundred quid chucked at a riding school will make you faster than any of the mods you have listed...remember, this is not "the fast and the furious".
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
hoddie

Post by hoddie »

I refer you to

Fast Bikes Magazine Ah, the old 'carbon fibre wheels are fragile and toad' argument.

It's a load of rubbish. As is the other commonly spouted shite about stock suspension being unable to cope with carbon wheels.

Carbon wheels are harder to damage than metal ones (in normal use), and even if you spend all your time wheelying your cock off, you're not going to kill a carbon wheel (we should know).

We have heard of old carbon wheels suffering with air leakage issues, but this will only be due to rim damage (no laughing at the back) caused by hamfisted tyre fitters. You will get some yellowing of the carbon/resin in old wheels but they won't just suddenly become porous or weak. We've done many thousands of miles on carbon wheels on all sorts of bikes, and never had a single issue. We're about to fit both BST and Dymag wheels to some of our longterm fleet bikes, so of you're really unsure, follow our progress this year, then decide. If you'd like to read more about the benefits, we'll happily send you PDFs of previous 'stock v carbon' tests.
Wednesday at 23:16 via Mobile · Like

Facebook comment. Couldn't get it across as a thread. If you have fb, just look at their wall.