Exhaust cam

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Exhaust cam

Post by Robbie »

Is there any advantage of having the sp exhaust cam?As Im having my engine refreshed just now and my mate has noticed that it has a reprofiled adjustable inlet but what looks like a standard exhaust cam.Is it worth me looking for one?cheers.Robbie
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Exhaust cam

Post by Mori Man »

Hi Rob,

Do you use the bike on the track ?

Are you likely to "dial" in your cam's differently from one month to th next ?

Do you want to eek out every last drop of torque and power in the motor on a Dyno so can take advantage of having adjustable cams ?

If yes then it has to be worth while.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

It is my race bike.So every hp helps but dialing cams in every month no.why would I need to? :smt017 I dont have much of a clue about the tunning side.Just wondered if it would be worth the expense getting the 2nd cam?Engine is totally std bottom end,ported/skimmed head,Adj inlet cam and ram air.need every hp I can get obviously.But on very tight budget.
cheers
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Idea of slotted cams is dialling them in for different tracks to get best performance for that course.

Otherwise your best to get a static set like the BEET ST-R that are race oriented and the grind is optimal. Then mess about with gearing for the course.

ZX4-F3 static cams are also meant to be a good track cam to use.

I'm sure my SP / F3 notes say to set the slotted cam's at 6' for best performance - but will need to check this. This is also using them with a F3 CDI so don't know how that goes with just the road version. The F3 set of cams I have look to be already set at that and when I fit will run as is.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly