What I've been doing over winter

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: What I've been doing over winter

Post by hciR »

Well I think i've got the hard bit out the way, Just finished re-building the forks. I'd recommend to anyone attempting it to find out how much the compression tool is lol.
Due to lack of said tool, I came up with this

Lots of fiddling about but got there in the end. Oh and a word of advise if you're doing it how the manual says, before you put the oil in make sure you put the bolt in the bottom :oops:

Next I will get the bearings in their relevent places so I can start putting the frame together.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Those forks look great! :smt007
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

they look fantastic mate.
why do you need to compress the forks? i just put mine back together, the only problem i had was tightening the bolt on the bottom as it kept spinning....or is this why you compress them!!?
i used a rattle gun in the end, that sorted em
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

I think it depends how you do it, but I screwed the bottom bolt in first with the top plug off so the bolt went in pretty easy. Then I had to campress the spring to get the top plug back on.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

FInished exams now so hopefully shouldn't be too long until it's all back together.
simmo
My Bike: zxr400L/vfr400nc30/er5

Post by simmo »

this is looking awsome!

gonna look MINT when its done!!!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

I think this bike will always be a work in progress lol. Unfortunately the fairings that will be put on are far from perfect, and probably won't get sorted until next winter. It will at least look fresh and hopefully be a nicer ride this summer.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

believe you me mate, bikes that you spend time and money on like this, you will always want to keep looking good and will always be a work in progress, mine is exactly that. Paint is always an issue cos of how much it costs, but a harsh winter has taken it toll on mine. Soon as im in ahouse with a garage the things coming apart for some serious work!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Yea I know what you mean. It's strange how, when it's on the road you just want to take it apart and 'do stuff', but when it's apart you just wanna ride the thing.I can't imagine a time when I'll stand back and say "ok I'm done", Because I'll just think of something new to add/change. I wouldn't mind a decent garage too, but at least I have somewhere dry (dump of a shed) to work on it I s'pose.

Today was a bit one step forward two steps back :smt017 . After first realising I hadden't put the chain on before fitting the swingarm, I decided refitting the swingarm with chain was easier than breaking and re-riveting the chain. Fitted the shock which actually went well. I then got the wheels balanced (was gonna do it myself but was feeling lazy and their's a tyre fitters literally opposite my house).
Spent some time re-tapping the threads for the brake discs and chain adjuster bolts which I hadden't masked, fitted discs and rear sproket then got the rear wheel mounted, Nothing really pic worthy from today.
The bad news is: part of the engine broke when my dad was doing it all up. Anyone know if these bits are replaceable? apparently the bit on the left could be repaired, but the bit on the right needs replacing.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I think they are the cam caps arent they? In wich case they need to be the right ones as they are matched to the engine, mismatched = bad for cams. Something ringing in my head tells me they are colour coded or something along them lines, and you need to order the same colour.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

yeah they are machined to the head so the oilways line up.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Spoke to Cradley earlier and apparently you can't get replacement caps, so it will have to be repaired. Luckily you can get the bit that joins the caps.
So I now have a rolling chassis :smt003 if worse comes to worse I will attach some pedals to it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smt007
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

Now that is gorgeous mate!

Cant wait to see it finished :D
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

very nice just don't go and wreck the finished article by skimping on the bodywork :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.