kevs zxr400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: kevs zxr400

Post by masterofinsanity »

nicely done, everyones going black frames lately?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

masterofinsanity wrote:nicely done, everyones going black frames lately?
the only way to go!

Looking good kev, very good! :smt003
kwackkev22
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by kwackkev22 »

masterofinsanity wrote:i hope you greased that caliper/torque arm seal b4 you sprayed it?
just sorted it mate thanks for the heads up on it i didnt know it was ment to pivot i had to push it out with 2 sockets and a g clamp it was rusted up and didnt move at all the dremel multi soon sorted the rust tho and greased up. this should help the rear end move up and down with the suspension :tease
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

chemicals in the paint will attack the rubber seals and when they are gone then the corrosion sets into the bearing, easiest way to mask bearings and seals is grease, let the paint harden then wipe it off.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

Whats it like cleaning them half polished wheels mate?

I've heard they're meant to be a bitch to keep clean.
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

saka_ZXR wrote:Whats it like cleaning them half polished wheels mate?

I've heard they're meant to be a bitch to keep clean.
yeah mate they are the alloy goes white and dull at the first sight of water and thats in summer god knows what they would be like on winter roads with added salt iam getting the whole rims powder coated not sure what colour yet tho iam thinking white

:tease :tease
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

what are you using to polish them? use alu belgommuch better than autosol and the finish lasts loads longer.
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

here you go :excited ive stared putting the bike back together now ive not taken too may pics the bike has got more done to it than in these pics all the brakets are back on the bike with brand new stainless bolts. And its about 70% wired back up with all the pumps coil packs ect back on as is all the pipe work rad and coolant hoses.its all so got new bearings in the swing arm and stearing tube i promise ill take loads more pics as bits go back on next time ive all so lost the only key for the bike so iam going to have to have a massive hunt for it
hope these pics are ok for now might be to big sorry

ive painted the bottom of the fork legs black used the gas fire to cure the paint off its a really good way of painting the paint is very hard
50/50

and both done crap lighting iam sorry

getting there i feel really proud all ready with this

more to come soon
kev
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

this all looks rather familiar to me, kev. :smt003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

Looking nice kev looking very nice.

Loving the black fork bottoms too :D
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Loving your work, you won't want to sell it when it's all back together!. A quick question for you and rob, what's the best way of re-assembly? building the frame then slotting the engine in, or building the framework around the the engine (as I can see rob has done)?
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

hciR wrote:Loving your work, you won't want to sell it when it's all back together!. A quick question for you and rob, what's the best way of re-assembly? building the frame then slotting the engine in, or building the framework around the the engine (as I can see rob has done)?

thanks for all your comments chaps it does look just like yours rob and ive got the same paddock stand and its the same colour as yours thats freaky lol.

as for hcir its up to you really and what you have to hand ive got a rear paddock stand (same as robs :excited ) and car axel stands and a good trolly jack and the bonus of a small trolly the engine was on i could move the engine very easly if you do it like robs you could have problems getting the forks in and it would take a few people to lift the bike up not a problem if you have a few mates to help. i really did think i needed a bottom yoke stand but went back to the bike a few hours later with a fresh line of thought and came up with

1) rear swing arm on the paddock stand
2)forks on tightend up
3)front wheel spindal through the fork legs and just nip it up not tight tho
4)trolly jack under front wheel spindal and jack front up high ish
5)engine into position
6)lower frame down onto engine front mounts near rocker cover bolts in and just nip these up not tight yet tho
7)get the top of the 2 engine blots ready in the hole but leave room for the engine to slide in
8)get some super powers from some where and lift the bottom of the engine up in to position it will pivot on the 2 front mount bolts
9)dont hang around slide the blot into the hole have to hold the engine one handed at this point :pmsl
10)sit back and let all the blood thats rushed to your head flow back :smt013
hope this helped ya kev
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

ok cheers for the tips, sounds like fun lol
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

ok big up date now its about 95% done now just got a few bits to do as you will see from the pics the front breaks needs bleeding up witch is an absolute pain in the a$$ to do i might have to give in on the break and let a pro do that and the carbs need balancing up as its running a bit lumpy ill soon be out on its first ride in months anyway heres the pics :thumb: oh and the powder coater had the wheels for 5 weeks he made a right hash of the first attempt and had to soak them in acid for weeks just get the old coating of :o

this pitting on the disc has been doing my head in so it was sanded back
to leave this
heres the discs just before a coat of zinc primer and bmw jet black and the 8 inch wire brush before the paint obviously lol
and the other
you will have to look at them on the bike to see how they turned out i didnt take any afters
and heres some of the zinc plating i did after a quick polish up with autoglym metal polish
all the wheel spacers
and heres the rear wheel built up ready to roll
close up :thumb:
and the front ready to roll
no close up of that tho :o
ok so heres the money shots hope you like its still not 100% tho
ok hope you like ill up date in a few weeks when its 100% done
kev
sorry for the mahoosive pics try here for better pics http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/superer__kev/
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

That looks immaculate mate :smt007 well done!