kevs zxr400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: kevs zxr400

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats looks really good kev, thats proper DIY! Be very interesting to see how those bits last.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i'm amazed! shocking
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kwackkev22
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by kwackkev22 »

RedexRobB wrote:Thats looks really good kev, thats proper DIY! Be very interesting to see how those bits last.
i know ive been thinking how are they gonner hold up ive keep checking them in the bags lol and they seem ok up to now lol been thinking of doing some kind of test with the same type of bolt one plated and one left in a bare with no plating and leaving them out in the elements :tease
kev :excited
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

well xmas is over that went quick 13th all ready.The bike been back on it only had 4 days back at work and it was my 7 off so been busy again not been to good with the before shots ive had a new sony a200 and dont really fancy taking a 270 quid camera into the shed lol so had to wait to get hold of my old one again

All the bits went to the powder coaters on monday 31 brackets alltogether and the the frame and swingarm iam having them gloss black laquered should look the nutts think iam gonner get this guy to do the wheels the same as well

well heres the pics iam running low on stuff to do so ive just been grabing anything out the boxes and sorting it out really

heres the carbs nothing to extreme with theses they are mostly sealed units all old gunk ect was blasted with carb cleaner and blow dried with the air compressor the float bowls where doused with carb cleaner and dried the same way
bit of a before shot just to show the gunk
heres the afters

done a bit of polishing the rear sets are a pain to do the alloy is really hard i think they may be cast alloy. note the gear shift arm this was zinc plated they look better than in the pic you;ll have to take my word for it tho lol

leaver stripped and polished did the front leaver too no pics tho sorry
lock catch cleaned and zinc plated
heres a few bits that where cleaned up no befores if they are in the box they get cleaned the wiring loom was wiped down with wd 40 but dont have any pics of this i dont think your ready for the loom lol
heres one of the undertray not looking the best but its cheap plastic anyway just wanted to remove evidence of burn outs lol not sure whos been doin them tho lol
and heres a few of the painting ive been doing
i wanted to change the locking rings for somoe fancy alloy ones but you just cant get them no one makes them

rear caliper done i really cant bleave how many times ive done the brakes on this bike they rust so easy extra lacquer this time tho
and the last one did the fan looks better
should have some pics of the powder coating in the next few days
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i hope you greased that caliper/torque arm seal b4 you sprayed it?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

just a quick question mate, wont all that polished alloy soon go dull if you dont polish it regularly? or are you going to laquer it?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

you will have to regularly polish bare alloy, you can laquer it but it will go dull and yellowy, other alternative is to get it clearcoated, bit like clear powdercoat.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

ahhhhhhhh i see, so alough it looks good its a pain in the butt to keep looking good lol,
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

lewisdale wrote:ahhhhhhhh i see, so alough it looks good its a pain in the butt to keep looking good lol,
yep, thats why my forks are going black :smt003
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

lol i was thinking about getting my frame and swingarm done but powdercoat i think now lol
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

theres not that much polishing been done really a quick rub with autosol should refresh any alloy thats been polished the wheels are getting powder coated to cover the exposed alloy because they are a pain to keep looking good ive only polished the stuff that came out the factory bare alloy to keep it looking standard its not like ive been striping paint of stuff to poilsh that would be nutts :tease
not sure if ive said so but iam going to be selling the zxr to fund a zx636 not sure if iam gonner have a brand new one yet tho but with the 0% finance i might be tempted :excited
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

kool mate, u gonna finish the zxr first though? would be a shame to give up half way through
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

masterofinsanity wrote:i hope you greased that caliper/torque arm seal b4 you sprayed it?
erm no i didnt ill see if i can slide it out and grease it up lol :tease
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

lewisdale wrote:kool mate, u gonna finish the zxr first though? would be a shame to give up half way through

oh yeah for sure its goin to get finished first :tease
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

bit more progress been to pick the frame ect from the powder coaters this morning and iam well chuffed with the results ive taken a few pictures for you and left the rest wraped up in cling film so they dont get coverd in dust ect ive still got a bit of grubby work to do.. yet

Heres one of half the sub frame ive spray painted this as the metal has pitted and this is not good when it coomes to powder coating the pits cause air bubbles
heres the rest
note the frame id riveted back on :thumb:

swing arm still wrapped up allmost

shock looks loads better

heres a few other bits just so you get the idea they are all mint

well thats it for now back to work on friday for the 7 12hr shift stint
been and orderd bearings and seals today should be making plans to rebuild soon :thumb:
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9