ZXR400/600

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

ZXR400/600

Post by zimm »

ok, so my 400/600 is actually starting to go back together.. thought i'd share some pics as the rebuild progresses..

frame is away being powdercoated, swingarm, wheels and a few odd and ends on their way from falloffslowly(?), and the engine is still in the back of my camper van in pieces, but hey .. its not like im working at the moment so progress should be swift once all the bits are here ..

to start with here's some old pics..

as i bought it

shortly after
note tacky anodised footpegs, badly polished frame/swingarm/wheels and the joke that was(is) an airbox ..

same battered panels, but black, (used them for tracking my 400) also sporting black wheels !

then i sprayed the same panels green, fitted some re-valved forks, EBC prolite race discs, replaced all the calipers, new wheel bearings, replaced shock linkage, MOT'd it.. and promptly blew the engine up

so here we are .. started cleaning up the forks and yokes, sanded out the casting marks and a quick polish up with some autosol

torque arm came up quite nice

sadly this is what the rest of the bike looks like at present

tomorrow its exhaust polishing and brake rebuilding !

then i just need a zx6r rev counter, an airbox, and to get my new swingarm and subframe blasted and powdercoated to match the frame..
Last edited by zimm on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: the beast.. umm, yeh ...

Post by RedexRobB »

Mate i wish i was back doing mine up, it was so much fun! I really am considering matt blacking my zxr now....

But all looks good mate, im sure the finished article will be beautiful. :smt003
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you're gonna regret all that polishing mate, believe me, looks good tho'
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

masterofinsanity wrote:you're gonna regret all that polishing mate, believe me, looks good tho'

maybe, but that and the rearsets is it, frame/swingarm are being powdercoated.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

Ive got my frame and wheels n stuff back from the powdercoaters .. !!

and what a fucking nightmare it has been just get some silver stuff made black (or in some cases a black thing made black going via silver).. i feel like ive been gang raped by the industrial estate mafia ..

no .. really, it hasnt been fun.
pics tomorrow..

big things i havent got at all, in any shape or form, rear shock and an airbox and clocks....damn, thats gonna eat £££'s

small things i havent got

wheel bearings
head bearings
swingarm bearings
spark plugs
HT leads
clipons
levers
tyres
correct (42th) rear sprocket

things i probably ought to spend ££ on or i'll regret it every time i look at it,

stainless fasteners
some carbon
some titanium

maxton shock
636 radial forks
6 pot/radial calipers
digital dash
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: ZXR400/600

Post by rene »

if you go for the 636 forks then you'll be using radial calipers ;) id stick with the 636 wheel as well better disks and there lighter!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

know what width the 636 rim would be there rene ? still take a 120/60/17 tyre ? hope so, or i'll have to squeeze a fatter rear in there and i cant be fooked with that. besides, ive just bought a mint set of wheels and had them stripped and powdercoated, so would quite like to umm, use them... although a lighter front wheel would be nice ..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

oh, yeh, pic's belatedly ..

sorry bout the quality ..

wheels (gloss) look ace :)

frame/swinger/subframe are matt (satin) black
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

copycat :smt019
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

didnt polish me rims though :smt019
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

let you off then. :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Looking really nice Zimm! Again, this thread is reminding me when i was dong mine! Strip, powdercoat, put together with some extra nice bits!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

an auspicious day indeed !

actually started sorting through the pile of parts in the garage that were once a bike..

dropped the swingarm off to have the bearings installed (i aint risking scratching it, and i know a guy with the correct pullers)

installed the new head bearings into the frame

bolted in the yokes and forks ..

my shopping list is growing too ..

clipons
disc bolts
brake/clutch levers

once it gets to the rolling chassis stage i may even consider putting the cylinder head back on the engine !
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

sounds like its all coming togeather nicely!

Big fav but couldnt take some pics of the frame changes could you? Still planning on starting mine this winter, or summer if the weather continues likes this..
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

no prob's .. although my camera is utterly shite at closeup stuff, its liable to be a lot blurry.

having thought about it a bit (and having two of em in the garage to look at) I reckon it'd be a far easier job starting with an H frame as the top mounts just bolt to lugs on the frame spars anyway, so you could just make big brackets up, then the only fabrication is the two rear mounts... maybe the cross brace would get in the way ? dunno ..

its weird actually, when i went to pick my frame up from powdercoat there were a few others that had been done, and its not much smaller than the bigger bikes... so it's odd how it builds into something so much smaller.