ZXR 400 Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

ZXR 400 Project

Post by Guest »

Hi there and welcome to my build thread.
I bought the bike off another member from zxrworld who put the bike on ebay. When to get the bike yesterday all the way to aberdeen and i live in cleckheaton so there and back turned out to be 766 miles. Yes this was along way to drive just to get a bike but then i saw her who actually turned out to be a him called Jester in fact but anyways :smt007 love is in the air.
Now just to put the bike in the van and away we go i actually got bored in the front of the van so ended up sleeping with the bike.
Got home and i obviously just had to go on a ride wow the power i love it i'm only use to a 125cc so the zxr400 was a rocket especially after 6k rpm.
So anyways my plan:
Fix brakes.
Clean everything.
Restore bits and pieces.
Repair cam where i think is making the loud noise.
Get a standard back end instead of the single seat race conversion.
Need to get hold of some them things that go on either side of the front fender.
Get a stainless steel bolt kit.
Remove all yellow paint.
Polish all the frame, swing arm and everywhere it was yellow before except wheels.
Get wheels and fairings done blue.
Get a DB screen.
Make a custom front sprocket guard and chain guard.

Not a massive list but still abit to do and i want it done before the end of summer. Plus i also have a full time job and need to save some money for when i go on holiday in july.

Had a full day on the bike today.
The brakes were really poor i know the disc are rusty so need wearing in but i thought i know i'll just bleed the brakes and straight away 10 times better the front left caliper had some air in them.

Taken all the fairings off the bike except the nose.
To my supprise i think the bike has a full performance system on it.
Taken airbox off and checked filter. Taken the carbs off going to be cleaning them all out at work with the compressor air line.
Checked almost all the wiring for bad connections found two connector that were all there way out and another one i'm suprised it hadn't already caused a problem.
I've noticed that alot of the wiring and all the top of the engine is covered with this waxy substance so havent to degrease most things to get them to shine up.
I dont know much about the noise in the engine i just got told that if your engine is noisey then it is most likely to be the valves or the cam so my dad is going to be helping me check all the cam out tomorrow. Hopefully it will just be the shims that need replacing to make it better.
Taken the sub frame off the bike aswell so i can all the yellow off it and get it powder coated black just for now until i get a standard subframe and rear seat.
All the fairings at the moment are now in my room good job there is a women who lives in our house just bikers :smt003

Please can sometime tell me how to put images on i dont know how to do it i tried to find where i think i've read about it before but no luck.

Thank You Dean and jester
Random
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Random »

oooooooooooops i wasnt sign in when i wrote that so now its down as Guest
ZXR 400 the bike of my dreams!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Hello mate, to put up a picture you need to make sure its already hosted somewhere on the internet. All you do then is right click on the image> properties, then highlight the URL of the picture, copy and paste that link into to the window where you type. So you should have:

http://www.mypicturehostedatthiswebsite.com/jpg

or something along those lines

Then all you do is hight light that address you copied into where you type and press the 'Img' tab on the tool bar above where you type. you should get

[img]http://www.mypicturehostedatthiswebsite.com/jpg[/img]

preview the post before you submit it to make sure its worked :)

good luck

:smt001
Random

Post by Random »

This is what the bike looked like when i started still very nice looking and if you go on to the sales section quite often you may recognise it.
i have now got the bike is loads of bits all around my garage and i have decided that i want the frame to be all polished up to i set out to do that hear is my progress so far
i tryed to get the powercoat paint off with some paint remover but it just didnt do anything to it so had to wet and dry it all down 4 layers of paint.
i have also got abit further today with the frame will get some more pictures asap.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

You managed the piccies then :smt003

Looking good mate :smt003
greengoblin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 96 ZX7R, 01 ZX6R

Post by greengoblin »

You must have passed within 100 yards of my house to go and pick up that bike :smt003

If I'd known you were coming all the way up here I would at least have offered you a coffee stop and a bullshit.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you tried nitromors on the paint?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I think the only way to get powder coating off is to dip it into a bath of acid.
wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZX6R P7F

Post by wonderpupp »

Yeah, dip it in acid, or a really good soak in cloths doused in acid.

If it's aluminium, oyu can get this stuff called Alishine, but that's an industrial thing.

I thought the yellow fram was gorgeous. :)
Random

Post by Random »

yeah the yellow frame was very pretty but i want the bike to look more rough. i dunno must be a man thing.
I looked at getting nitromous but they only had it for wood when i went to bandq so i get some other stuff my dad used the same on his cyclebike.
Well its either toad stuff i bought or you need stuff acid like you all say.
I think i'll be getting the swingarm sandblastered now that should get the bloody powercoat off.
ratbag56
My Bike: zxr400 / 636

Post by ratbag56 »

it shud look good when u r done mate :smt003
Random

Post by Random »

update on frame now it looks like this
SHINY :D the bottom oend of the frame is turning out to be a bitch bloody casting
Random

Post by Random »

I'm going to have to start resizing my pics before i put them on here
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Random wrote:I'm going to have to start resizing my pics before i put them on here
Nothing like a good view!!

Working hard over the weekend then? :D Yeah that bit of frame will be a proper whore, personally i would have left it yellow.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

for the rough casting of the frame use an abrasive kit to smooth it out before polishing.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.