Project: zxr 400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Project: zxr 400

Post by Guest »

Well this is my project that i'm doing over winter and spring no doubt. Since I've got a car now, the bike isn't being used so thought it a good oppertunity to take it apart, add stuff, make stuff, paint stuff etc.

How I bought it around septeber time last year:

Then took off the fairings, tank, rear sub-frame and exhaust (you'll see why eventually) until it looked like this:

To start off with I decided to take the brake calipers apart to re-paint and re-build them.

It took a lot of faffing about to get the pistons out, mainly due to my lack of planning ahead lol, I split the calipers before removing the pistons(thinking they would slide out easily - big mistake). But eventually I got them out after putting everything back together, bleeding the brakes, then pumping the pistons out.

So then I wire brushed them back to metal.

Then painted them satin black with the writing done in white.

So thats the calipers done, I'm going to re-use most of the pistons and buy a couple of new ones because some of them had seen better days. Not putting them back on the bike yet as there is still much to do.

Next up is the clocks. I've decided to change the arrangement a bit to allow more room for the front fairing i'll be putting on.

Attempt 1

I made this from a thin aluminium sheet, which I think was too thin (about 1mm) and also too tall. To make it shorter I am modifying the temp gauge which is where I'm up to now.

I re-soldered those blue things (don't ask me what they are!) because they were positioned on the side of the body - making it bigger than it needed to be. Now I'm making a new plastic casing to hold it and a smaller face.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Whoops, forgot to log in he he
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Some of the parts I've bought so far. Full mercury exhaust system, zx10-r front fairing, hel braided brake lines.
ImageImage

Plenty more to come!
sampers

Post by sampers »

looks great, can't wait to see what 'll be next.
did you buy the headlights along with the ZX10R front fairing? or are you gonna fill the holes?

btw, I think the blue things on your temp. gauge is a Resistor.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

this i gotta see whaen its done. :smt026
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.

Post by Guest »

Them blue things do look like resistors but useually they have the colour bands on them to indicate their value, maybe they're just different ones :smt102

Yep got headlights and screen to go with fairing.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

They look like capacitors to me those blue things. Only reason a resistor would be that big is to dissapate some serious heat and i doubt its doing that.
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

What mods did you make to get the ZX10 front fairing to fit the ZXR400 fairing bracket? Did you use a 400 fairing bracket?! :smt017
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

I havent done it yet, but I will need to fabricate a new front subframe for the zx10 fairing as the 400 one is way off. Should have an update soon.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

I designed the face in photoshop then printed it onto glossy photo paper
Pretty much finished my clocks now.
I cut the shape from 3mm aluminium. It was tempting to leave it like that, but I think black will suite the bike better.

This is how it turned out. The clocks aren't supported at the back yet which is why they are wonky, but you get the idea.

The LED's are: indicator (orange), high beam (blue), oil (red), and neatral (green) tell tale lights. I will add stickers later on to show which light is which.

So now I need to get them mounted so I can move onto sorting the subframes.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

love that clock face!!! :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Got a lil further.
The rear subframe is almost done, although the welding is not qiuite finished. Just gotta get the welder to finish the joins now that it's bent in place, also got a couple of aluminium bars that will strengthen it, and some brackets to hold the seat in place.

I've decided to do the font subframe from mild steel, beause the one I made from aluminium had a bit too much flex in it. Also my brother will be able to weld it for me.

I painted the rad in vht matt black paint, and the fan in the same stuff I used for the calipers.

Parts I've bought so far are: clip ons, rear sets, chain and sprokets geared for more accel, and new brake discs. Also got half of the service items on wemoto's sites for when I take i apart.

Once i've got the sub frames completed I can concentrate on getting the fairings sorted.

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Looking good mate, whats that grey thing hanging off the front mudguard?
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Thats gonna be a mold for some new side bits. It's not finished yet, but once its the right shape I'm going to either fibreglass or carbon fibre it - hopefully the latter.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

excellent, what have you used for the mould?