2001 ZX6R POWERED ZXR400 L5

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

iain knight

2001 ZX6R POWERED ZXR400 L5

Post by iain knight »

Hi to very one, this my revamped ZXR400 L5 with a 2001 ZX6R engine, 2004 dig dash and a few other things
Image Image Image Image
i shall be doing a full run down of build with the problems i had.
If you have any question about the bike or any part i've used please post and i'll answer as best i can.
Many thanks for looking
iain knight
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

look forward to it, thanks for coming over, i'm interested in how you got the single sided swinger to fit, i was gonna attempt it on mine but offered the swinger up and decided against it, too much engineering for my capabilities.

and when you've finished i'll do a proper feature for the site if thats ok with you?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Welcome Iain good to see ya here at last! :smt001

Damn i cant believe what youve done with that bike its stunning!
iain knight

single sided swing arm into ZXR frame

Post by iain knight »

The out side of the frame is 310mm and the in side is 241mm. at this point you have two :-

Options 1. VFR400 swing arm due to it bolts to the frame not the engine which is 13mm. make up a 13mm spacer and arm will bolt in ( a few things to ponder over - single nut on wheel / limited wheel stile , smaller tyre option )

Option 2. use a VFR750/800 swing arm, space frame out to 288 inside of the frame which means cutting the frame and insetting spaces of 23.5mm each side, to do this you need a jig…? So before you cut the frame you make a fig first then cut the frame and with a large lever pry out and insert the spaces in and bolt up.
Image Image Image Image
The back engine mounts are made from aluminium about 10mm thick with a aluminium tube welded to the two engine mounts which in turn is welded to the upper frame/shock mount and to the lower link arm frame, so the engine / swing arm and frame is tide together to give a stiffer and less flex.
Kenneth P

Rebuilt of zxr400

Post by Kenneth P »

Hi Iain..

Really nice project.. I'm also thinking about putting a zx6r engine in my zxr.. does it fit rigth in?? Or is it a bit of work?? the swingarm on yours is it from a VFR750/800?? I'm really impressed :smt007

/ Kenneth
kenneth_p
My Bike: tomos moped

Rebuilt of zxr400

Post by kenneth_p »

What kind of stuff do I need to built it? Have you used a complete zx6r with all its parts and stuff??

/ Kenneth P
iain knight

single sided swing arm into ZXR frame

Post by iain knight »

Hi Kenneth
The rear swing arm is from a VFR800 fi, if you look at the frame it’s only aluminium box at the end of the day, and if you make jig to keep all other parts from moving i.e. keeping the two sides parallel and held in place when welding you can do anything…!

The parts I’ve used from the ZX6r(not a hole bike just parts) are, complete wiring loom, fuse box, cdi(ECU), engine…!, air box, carburettors, 2004 dig dash, 2004 temp sender.
The parts I’ve changed are frame the front engine mounts to take the 2001 ZX6r engine as the frame pick up points are behind to bore block unlike the ZXR400 which is at the front and top of the head, I’ve made new back engine mount then welded into the frame, a mix of ZXR400 and ZX6r throttle cables and a shorter chock cable, I’ve changed the wiring in the ZX6r wiring loom (using a very small screw diver to take out the pins and reconfigure it to the ZXR400) to take the ZXR400 control switches so if god forbid anything happened I can just plug new controls in. I’ve changed the wiring loom for the dash in the same way as the control switches as the 2001 ZX6r and the 2004 ZX6r uses the same plugs.
I hope this give you a better idea.

Iain

Post by Guest »

nice job.. did you manage to squeeze the stock zx6r airbox in ? im having issues with mine ..

anyway heres a few pics

http://socrates.is-a-geek.net/files/ins ... xr/zxr600/
iain knight

air box mods

Post by iain knight »

the ZX6R bike i used was a 2001 J1, the air box was the right shape just pop in with help of a hack saw....!

on the G+J's the air ram uses the frame to get the air in but the ZXR400 is a smaller frame, so i made up a new bottom part of the air box.
the space above the carbs intakes is were my ait filter goes. i have a bit more space up front as i'm useing coils on the end of my spark plugs so i don't two large coils to get in the way. good luck with your build if i can help in away just post here.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

now i just need to work out a way of affording a tig welder...
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits

150 mile of pure bliss

Post by Guest »

well sorry about the time out but things to do, places to be…!
Started my shake down miles, started my bike and let warm up, taking it slowly at first though local town then into open roads, running about 40mph in 3rd then opened up the throttle revving about 8/9000 then it sounded like the rear wheel was levelling the ground ….! No the clutch was slipping. Tried gain and it happened same place so I lightly touched the clutch lever and it started to slip !!! problem solved clutch cable.
Pull over into a serves station and got out the tool kit, undone the nuts at gearbox end and moved the cable down to take the pressure of the cable and done the nuts up and started out again and not a problem. But O’hell it’s better a hell better rev’s keep come and speed and what speed. Even in 6th it pulls from 30mph up, 60mph open the throttle next your look at 100mph. The gearing is spot on for the roads, you can down shift early and brake hard without and problem and O the after run from the twin cans down the small housing street, I could just run around the town in 2nd gear up to 8/9000 rpm then back off all day, a nice deep barbell with a few pop’s in for good measure. More later, back to finishing the building work, can’t wait for next weekend.

Re: 2001 ZX6R POWERED ZXR400 L5

Post by Guest »

WOW!!! you just did the impossible. just wondering where or how you got that exhaust. was wondering if it would work on a standard zxr400 engine.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

if you did abit of work then yes it would, just got to attach the the cans to underseat make a link pipe then join it onto the down pipes, easy!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

it'd be tricky to do with a standard swingarm. there's nowhere for the link pipe to go up through it.

the vfr one is obv designed to leave space.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

deviant wrote:it'd be tricky to do with a standard swingarm. there's nowhere for the link pipe to go up through it.
Looks like someone forgot to tell this guy! :smt005

Although it doesnt go up through the swingarm the guy has still managed an underseat exhaust!