Rebuild and respray of zxr 400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: Rebuild and respray of zxr 400

Post by rene »

nice engine!

take it you've replaced the exhurst studs? never seen some rust free before :smt003
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
mongo

Post by mongo »

well i now have a rolling chassis, decided to drop the engine into the frame and put the wheels on, it should hopefully only be a few weeks before i get my repsrayed fairings back (i left that to a professional, i`ll have a go at my own fairings with another set i have since i now have a compressor). Im also considering the 444 re-bore, but not just quite yet, i`ll get it up and running first. Heres the pics:

Unfortunately my harris paddock stand and the prongs scraped the swingarm (harris bobbins as well) which im non too chuffed about, but oh well.

rene, only gave them a going over with degreaser on a cloth on the exhaust studs, ive still to run a die through them to clean the studs up a bit....
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

looking grand mate, nice to see a different colour engine!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

looks nice indeed, personally I wouldn't have bothered with the engine but its not my build.
Andy
mongo

Post by mongo »

I wasn't going to, but to be honest i left it in degreaser that long and also the wonder wheels acid on the bare alloy should hopefully mean the VHT sticks. If not no worries.... the bike is only going to be used for the odd trackday/country burns and i hope to only use it in dry weather so im hoping it will stay in top condition which is why i esprayed the engine.

I have enough parts left over to build a second zxr as well, so im contemplating doing another but i`ll do the engine black, along with the black frame. Decisions decisions :smt003
mongo

Post by mongo »

Got the radiator and oil cooler all degreased:

a little coat of high temp paint:

Got the sump and the wiring on, few little pieces need connected up, but the routing is sorted:

Will hook up the oil cooler, then get the exhaust system on, once i make up a nice exhaust bracket (or purchase one).
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

the bikes looking lovely nout better than spotless bike!

loving the rear shock as well, bet that set you back a few pennys!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
mongo

Post by mongo »

rene wrote:the bikes looking lovely nout better than spotless bike!

loving the rear shock as well, bet that set you back a few pennys!
I do like it nice n shiney, its going to be my good weather bike to take out to embarass the bigger boys :smt003 the zx10r is my everyday bike and it does a good job at it too, the ohlins rear shock was £460, which isn't too bad.

I got round to fitting the exhaust and oil cooler/radiator today, the exhaust isn't finished (i may try an alternative can as well, if i can get one to fit the micron pipes):

CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Looks awesome. I'd love to do a complete rebuild of my bike but that would mean no bike on the road :smt010 . If I do get a bigger bike I'd do it as I'm always impressed with what you peeps do to the bikes.

You looking at a special paint scheme for the fairing panels or just gonna go standard......after all the effort it's gotta be a one off!!!!
mongo

Post by mongo »

CarneyUK wrote:Looks awesome. I'd love to do a complete rebuild of my bike but that would mean no bike on the road :smt010 . If I do get a bigger bike I'd do it as I'm always impressed with what you peeps do to the bikes.

You looking at a special paint scheme for the fairing panels or just gonna go standard......after all the effort it's gotta be a one off!!!!
its going to be all black (not the zxr 400 black that has metallic silver flakes in it), considering silver decals. I love black bikes, i was at one point considering silver as well... i`ll stick with the black though :smt003
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

you cant do it black the frame and swinger are silver! you'll HAVE to get them powercoated black if your going to do it!
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

rene wrote:you cant do it black the frame and swinger are silver! you'll HAVE to get them powercoated black if your going to do it!
I do like the black fairing with the black frame but I think the silver frame is just as good, and after all that work on the frame to have to do it again..... :smt010
mongo

Post by mongo »

rene wrote:you cant do it black the frame and swinger are silver! you'll HAVE to get them powercoated black if your going to do it!
powdercoating is not as durable as painting. At least if paint chips, it only chips that area, as soon as powdercoating chips it starts to flake away in BIG chunks.

I have a black frame and swingarm also. Im unsure if im going to build up another zxr 400 or not (i ahve enough parts to do so) and ive also another set of fairings. Im hoping with the silver frame it`ll look good, i also have a spare set of polished wheels with black centres, if the gold wheels don't go with it. Decisions decisions :smt003 but i do think the black fairings, with gold wheels and other bits and pieces and the nice shiney silver frame and swingarm will set it off and make it look sweet.

The good news is my fairings are now ready, i just need to get the time to sort everything out, i was going to try out the coil sticks as used on new bikes instead of the old fashioned two coils and the HT leads coming off from there, due to the voltage that the coil leads can supply and the healthy spark that it will produce.
turbinator

Post by turbinator »

did you use the 600 yokes or the zxr yokes ??
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

they look like the ZXR yokes to me from this pic

636 ones look like this

i 'think' there BH1 yokes
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-