The wife's ZXR 400L

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

dan
My Bike: tomos moped

The wife's ZXR 400L

Post by dan »

Been on here a long time, in fact was a member of an old zxr400 Group on yahoo groups!

Sold my ZXR 400 a long time ago (it's the Red Bull one in the gallery) but the wife kept her's.

It kept breaking down after we had gone hardly any distance on it. So I undressed it (after freeing a sheared fairing bolt)

And tracked fown the fault a faulty rectifier:

I replaced this, hard-wired the new rectifier to the 6 wires leading into it as the inside of the 6-pin connector block was f*cked, and Kawasaki don't sell the connector - just the loom!

Checked the charge and everything seemed peachy.

The bke then began cutting out again, and in desperation I trailered it down to Pete the bike and electronic genius. Whilst it was there, it began smoking profusely when we switched the ignition on. It turned out that all 6 wires back to the loom had meleted together, so began the replacement of these with larger core wires.

Bike on the ramp:

Me scratching my head:

Pete diagnosing and fixing:

Bike was fixed some time ago, find attached a couple of piccies of it basking in the glorious sunshine today in Windsor:

Click for bigger pic.

Click for bigger pic.
Last edited by CaNsA on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resized pics.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: The wife's ZXR 400L

Post by CaNsA »

The silver, black and red looks awesome.

Top notch.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

That is nice aint it! Welcome to the forum!
dan

Post by dan »

CaNsA wrote:The silver, black and red looks awesome.

Top notch.
Thanks, and for resizing the photos.

To the next comment, I have been here a while! :smt002
petchickens
My Bike: 1994 zx4r

Post by petchickens »

nice bike ninja dan been lurking around the forum waiting for a time to pop

ohh and thats a nice can :smt007
"good" is a matter of opinion...its a 90's bike...styling is purely up to you, but its a nice bike, dont make it look like some wannabe-toad-looking-need-for-speed-ricer-pile-of-crap...
dan

Post by dan »

Have replaced wheel bearing (twice) discovering an incorrect spacer was causing bearing to collapse, steering head bearings were done last week along with braided hoses, and some different discs.

It now feels tight on the front end, with no annoying clunks when going over speedbumps. And given the braided hoses over the original 21 year old rubber hoses, it now actually stops!

I prefer riding it around town compared to my RSVR which is too much, and hydraulic clutch which is heavy in traffic.