ZXR 400L Restoration

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

gfosdike
My Bike: ZXR 400 L2

ZXR 400L Restoration

Post by gfosdike »

The_Start.JPG
Hello all,

I though I'd share my project with you. I've not had a bike for a couple of years now and decided to rebuild something to get back on the road again!

I manage to get an old 400 L in bits, that's where the fun started. Hopefully I will be able to show you my progress as I go along. I've been working on it for around two months now, so I'll start with getting the pics uploaded to where I've go to so far.

Cheers for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gfosdike

Re: ZXR 400L Restoration

Post by gfosdike »

My first step was to source a replacement engine as the one that was with the bike had seen better days. The replacement had only done 12k and was running before I picked it up, I decided to do a partial strip down to just double check things (gearbox teeth etc). I replaced serveral gaskets and orings to ensure I had no suprise leaks once it was up and running again.

I then completely stripped the carbs down and rebuilt them checking for wear on the components and replacing the bowl seals.

The attached pics show some of work done to get the engine ready to use again, I also had a few parts powerded coated as well!!
engine1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gfosdike

Post by gfosdike »

Part 2 of the engine build
gfosdike

Post by gfosdike »

Part 3 of the Engine Build
gfosdike

Post by gfosdike »

The Carbs
gfosdike

Post by gfosdike »

The Engine ready to go!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Looking really nice!

I notice the motor has a load of oil down the front, have you replaced the spark plug well seals? These are what leak oil into the plug well and through the drain holes and onto the front of the motor. Would be a shame to get that engine dirty!
gfosdike

Post by gfosdike »

Thanks, I've spent a fair amount of time cleaning it up! Yes, the seals are all sorted.
gmaneire
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by gmaneire »

Great job, can I ask what did u clean the engine with? its spotless...
tink
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by tink »

great job there and looking forward to the winter so i can start the restore on m ZXR