My L2 Race bike rebuild...

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

simon_ed
My Bike: 2 x ZXR400 Race Bikes

My L2 Race bike rebuild...

Post by simon_ed »

This was how my bike looked when i got it in September 2011. It was making 73 bhp and when i took it to Thruxton with NG it developed a misfire, so after the race the complete rebuild would begin.......

Once everything was stripped the frame and swing arm was sent away to be lightened and once they were away i set about refreshing the forks, and as the rear shock was working fine at Thruxton so i decided just to clean it up...

After that the main focus was the engine, we decided to check the tolerances and when we checked the base gasket was still in and the cam timing was quite a way out....

so finally the frame and swing arm came back, along with other lightweight goodies...

So now i had everything back it didn't take too long to get everything back on and together...

I'd managed to acquire some flat slide carbs during the build as well as some SP cams for my spare motor....

and with the coils proving the main headache last time out i decided to try the coil conversion.

and then it was time to give it a quick go on the dyno to see if she would go or not and it turns out she definitely has a bit of poke!!!

The bike is still not complete, we need to tidy everything up, get the flatslides setup properly, get the freshly painted bodywork on & sticker'd up as well as my newly painted wheels....

as soon as i get more info and pics i'll be sure to post them up here...

Si #3
Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Re: My L2 Race bike rebuild...

Post by Danman109 »

wow this looks sweet as! is that the roose motorsport hoses too?

What engine mods do you have to get that power? smiler
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

It's got samco hoses on it. As for power here's roughly what's been done ;

Head skimmed/ported
Base gasket removed
+0.5 pistons
Cam timing adjusted
Full beet ti system
Kit air box
Flat slide carbs
Coil conversion (cbr 600 rr coil sticks) poss 1bhp gain

I think that's about it, I'll put a full spec up and pics when it's finished
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Cool :) cant wait to see it!

few things i have noticed:

you've left the oil cooler on and you still have a full weight battery?

for both my bikes im looking at losing the oil cooler and for the track bike i'm looking at getting a lightweight battery.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

The oil cooler is coming off and the battery is gonna be a smaller one too, we just literally threw it together to see if it was running ok. Not had chance to do much to it yet, but got a trackday at cadwell in a week or so, so need to get it finished for then
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

bike is pretty much finished and ive just done a trackday at Cadwell, only a few small bits to do now then ready for NG at Mallory at the end of the month :excited

and i never had a problem with the flatslides, got on with them well and they feel pretty well setup, can't wait to get back out on it now
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

VERRYY nice :-D i like it! mine is going to be very similar except white with flourescent wheels! i have no idea why i like flourescent wheels but i plan on having a seperate colour for wets (eventually)

what would you reccommend by way of downpipes? i prefer stainless but for the track bike i guess it doesnt matter.. iv used sandy's and they gave me a good hp boost but they are pricey :(
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

I have titanium on mine but have got a spare set of stainless front pipes, it's the balancing tubes that help make the power, if you can get the beet system copied that would be good
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

How much was your titanium system? I need two sets of downpipes for both bikes, not cheap! i may go stainless for the road bike and titanium for the track bike.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

was on the bike when i got it mate
edhall92
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr 400

Post by edhall92 »

What did you replace, what looks like gsxr 1000k1 6 pot calipers for?
simon_ed

Post by simon_ed »

No need for them, was a bit overkill, put h model calipers on and they're more than enough