1993 ZXR400 L3, slow project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

1993 ZXR400 L3, slow project

Post by MrLuke »

Here's my ZXR400 that I've had for almost 4 months now. Just showing you a few pictures for now. I'll update the thread when I change things to it as I plan on improving it over time, specially over winter to make it nice for the summer. So far all it has:
Scorpian can (first thing everyone says about it is how nice it sounds!)
R&G crash bobbins
Paddock stand bobbins
Smaller Indicators
Carbon wrapped the front mudguard
Running 33bhp

Plans over the winter are:
Take panels off and give it a good clean
Service engine (oil +filter, air filter, new rocker cover gasket, maybe valve clearances)
Clean carbs out as not running 100% at the moments
Upgrade brakes - GSXR K1-3 Tokica calipers, braided lines, radial master cylinder, new rear caliper
And a few cosmetic things like new screen, tank pad, paint screen brace etc...

So here are a few pics!

My current bike and dream bike hehe -S1000RR

Playing about with light :)

Think that's enough for now :P
stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Re: 1993 ZXR400 L3, slow project

Post by stonemonkey »

Looks great. Liking the long exposure shots too. Will be doing some with mine when its rebuilt.
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Well I've been busy over the last 4 months tinkering away with my bike. What I've done to it:

Brakes
Suzuki SV1000 Calipers
Goodridge Braided Lines
Brembo Master Cylinder (off of a KTM RC8/some kind of Ducati)
EBC Pads (originals weren't giving me very good stopping power)

Engine
New Oil + Filter
New Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned + Balanced
CBR600 Coil Sticks
Delkevic SS Downpipes

Other
Tank Derusted
New Bridgestone Rear Tyre
Airblade Screen
New mirrors
Renntec rear grab bar

So I stripped it down a bit and it looked like this:

Carb and tank off to reveal these:
Another 14 months till they come out!

Cleaning the carbs. They were full of rust sediment when I took the float bowls off! Air corrector screws were off slightly so returned them to stock settings. Did seem to run a bit better after doing this.

I'll do a tank cleaning guide but here's a before and after:

Messy wiring. Tidied it all up and the new coil sticks helped alot. Forgot to take a pic of what it looks like now but will do next time I have tank and air box off.

Replaced the rocker cover gasket because it was leaking oil.

Took a while to clean all the old sealant off

Cleaned up all the oil/grease that seemed to be on everything.

New vs old filter! Ripped when taking it out. (Yes I realised I forgot to put the plastic cage on after I'd taken the pic)

Changing the oil:

I filled it up to here before I started it

And after starting; how much it takes to fill the filter

Onto the brakes! Old ones were absolutely shocking. Master cyliner was shagged the lever was all juttery, calipers were horrible and pistons weren't moving very freely, dunno how old the lines were but wouldn't be surprised if they were the originals! Read through the forum and got all sorts of ideas, eventually decided on the setup and sourced everything for a good price I think. Anyway some pics.

How the M/C looked befored I hooked it all up

SV1000 calipers. I'd taken it out for a short ride but the roads were still salty, that's why it looks a bit dirty. About to change the pads too which is why the bottom bolt is loose.

New pads

Old vs New

Stops a hell of a lot better now!

Here is how I've wired the stick coils, runs fine, think it does run slightly crisper for them but then again could well be a placebo effect!

And the just the other day I changed the downpipes. Old ones were terrible! Much worse than I thought. Although I'm not so sure if the new downpipes have made it run slightly worse. The tone is deeper but it feels slower to get up through the revs and sounds a bit weird on the over run and part throttle. Might get it on a dyno soon to see what the AFR readings are like. The Delkevic ones are basically a copy of the originals but in stainless steel and without the balancer pipes so I didn't think it would need any changes to the fueling. Anyway here are some pics.

Side by side:

All the holes!

And just to see how bad they were I took a small hammer and wacked them a few times, here's the result! Fooked!

And that's about it for now. Haven't got any pictures of how it looks right now. I'll get some when the weather decides what it's doing. Thanks for looking :smt003
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Found a pic on my phone of the rocker cover, thought I'd taken it on the Nikon. So a before and after:

Much tidier I think!

And a couple of pictures from a little ride out I had yesterday: