H1 Akira Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

H1 Akira Project

Post by R P Corse »

yup have officially named my little beaut Akira, just because of the proper retro look :)

gona be a little project cleaning her up and making her nice again!

starting with the chassis - a good scrub down and clean up, but the main thing to be sorted first are

Chassis work:

Forks - thanks to MoriMan giving me a lot of info about the 636 forks - i just want a speedo that will have the correct mileage if i ever come to sell! so still in 2 minds here!
Rear Suspension - Nitro/Maxton/Hagon (has anyone experienced these shocks?)
Steering damper ... trust me i need it! lol
Chain and Sprockets... it needs them now to be honest!

Bodywork:

has got crash damage .. quite bad too, even if i repair it, she still wont look right so im thinking of replacing all the heavily damaged parts - only appears to be the right side fairing, the nose cone doesn't seem to match and has got me thinking that its fit for the CBR400 lol either way, this is what i had in mind for a respray
and then i spoke to a friend of mine who done a very rough copy of the image in red black and white/grey... which i found quite tasty!

though i am open to suggestions on the body work ... i want it to look old school futuristic... watch the Akira Manga to get an idea of what i mean! but i will be keeping the red/black/grey/silver look as they are my colours anyways - fussy much .. YES :D lol

Engine:

engine will stay standard, its got plenty of grunt, its more than enough for the road, i will just keep on top of the servicing, although i would like to achieve the 65bhp mark, if i can push 70bhp without heavily modding the engine then i will attempt it although i would like to get a set of bigger carbs on her if its possible and im tempted to change the cams to Kent or SP if they are the right price and then eventually get round to getting a full set of race down pipes - the flange has been cut off (i dont even think there was one on there in the first place!) and got me thinking its a full BEET system on there already though :S either way, i'd really like to clean up the exhaust as it sounds lovely!

and thats pretty much it! hope to get started as soon as possible, just have a few things to sort out over the next few weeks before i can properly under go the work!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Re: H1 Akira Project

Post by R P Corse »

also forgot to add that i am looking at Kushitani leathers ... made to measure .. the only down side is... they are about £2k worth of kit, but i've looked at so many reviews about them and heard nothing but fantastic things about them!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

For a minute there i thought you were going to build Kanedas bike! Keep us posted with your work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

LOL no no! i wished! but mate thats a stunnin piece of work, its my fave manga EVER! infact i am watching it now lol
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I've watched it far too many times myself!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

great film though aint it :D lol

ordered me some short levers :) waiting for some cash to come through at the moment to get the basics done for now, the body work wont happen til around xmas time
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

BTW,

Akira helmets available here :smt004

Just sayin :smt002

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Akira helmets?! i've never heard of them! link me sir!!

ok update time!

parts check list!

head race bearings
chain and sprockets - o ring
brake pads
semi-syn guardian rock oil x3 liters
champion oil filter
NGK spark plugs x 4
clutch cable
short brake and clutch levers
new oil filter wrench (mine was toad and only worked for cars!)

so far i have received the chain and sprockets, oil filter wrench, clutch cable and brake/clutch levers.

to buy still/to do:

tyres - only want a pair that will last me til xmas before i take her off the road to clean up the bodywork, so i am only looking at part worns.
clear DB screen - if im going endurance look than black will look out of place!
valve clearances, starting to get a slight tapping sound between 2000 and 5000rpm
balance the carbs
fit everything on :) lol
and finally the body work.

got the levers this morning and i must say the quality of them - i bought them from Ebay, a shop in Hong Kong - i am well impressed with the quality of the product, they don't feel cheap at all, straight fit, no hassel ... well 1 only ever so slight flaw with them is that the bracket that holds the lever is about 1mm too tight so i will need to shave/file it (bracket that is) so that its a perfect fit, best £30 i have ever spent on a bit of bling lol even if it did take nearly 3 weeks to arrive!

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

BigB wrote:Akira helmets?! i've never heard of them! link me sir!!
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 1&slider=0

Also picked up a set of those CNC Chinese levers, adjustable length and flip up for about 18GBP , lets see if they last lonnger than a month :smt005

MM!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

top find Drew lmao would so love to grab one of them lids lol 9500Y? How much is that gona be in UK money? Lovin the look of em lol
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

BigB wrote:top find Drew lmao would so love to grab one of them lids lol 9500Y? How much is that gona be in UK money? Lovin the look of em lol
around 76 quid with no visor.

MM!
Neosophist
My Bike: VFR400R NC24

Post by Neosophist »

Mori Man wrote:
BigB wrote:top find Drew lmao would so love to grab one of them lids lol 9500Y? How much is that gona be in UK money? Lovin the look of em lol
around 76 quid with no visor.

MM!
Not legal in the UK though as there not marked 'E' stamp.

Although I do ride around in one of these...

:smt020
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

thought it was time for an update seeing as a lot of my parts have turned up ... can you guess whats in my box? lol

shes getting there slowly, the next things on my list are vinyl wrap, DB clear screen, body work and full fairing bolt kit too, looking at a new key/lock set all round as these keys and locks are a bit shagged now!

however - i've ordered the wrong front pads so they are up for sale - they are for the L model calipers, FA180 EBC, £22 delivered
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Be interested to hear how you find the EBC discs in the wet as everything I've heard so far suggests that they are absolutely dreadful and you're better off putting your feet down to try and stop shocking
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Made in England not for the wet :pmsl

Sounds about typical British thinking - you only use bikes in the sun FFS :smt005

Hope the Kevlars are better than the last set I used , that was over 15yrs ago so you never know - they might have changed confuddled