H1 Akira Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: H1 Akira Project

Post by R P Corse »

lol i've tried them on the aprilia RS125 i use to have and didnt have any problems with them in the wet and i only ever really use the front, never touch the rear, well hardly anyways ... but then that was a lighter bike

i just need them gone as they are next to useless for me lol
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Mori Man wrote:Sounds about typical British thinking - you only use bikes in the sun FFS :smt005
FFS Mori, we'd never get to use them at all if that were true :smt002
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

:smt005 s'all good, i dont mind a bit of no braking ... makes riding that little bit more scarier lol
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Over due an update!

Long story short, blew the head gasket back in march, bike spat me off into a hedge, she landed on me, we're both ok, took me 3 weeks to get the engine sorted and back on the road lol

ANYWAY!

So shortly after this happened, I decided I want to turn her into a track bike, the amount of mileage I do is just unfair on such a good bike, so have got my scooter back on the road and started to strip down the ZXR, so far I've inherited a spare engine - valve dropped into C4 and damaged the piston, it's also been left for 7months outside in a plastic bag, luckily only the cams got some rust!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346439393.075484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346439441.158740.jpg
I got the engine free so I'm not so fussed about the damage lol touch really! Stripped down a bit more and I discovered what I believe to be a slipper clutch?! It looks completely different compared to the H clutch?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346439687.219340.jpg
How can I confirm it's a slipper/KBTL?

Also bought an exhaust system from MoriMan - he really is a legend, especially for putting up with me hounding him about this particular system! It's a DIC Aluminium system and only weighs 3.4kg! Sounds the mutts nuts! Can only add 3 pics per post on tapa talk, so will add them into another post! My original exhaust completely fell apart, lost my end can an it got run over by a lorry, then a few weeks later the link pipe dropped off lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440135.623784.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440157.204537.jpg
Firstly the cams... The cam chain is brand spanking new! So that's going into my engine lol how would I know if they aren't standard ones - Kent/SP/BEET etc... Is there any identifying parts that aren't standard?

Oh and forgot to mention I bought some new rubber, £80 delivered for a set of Supercorsa's that have only been round a few laps
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440433.713528.jpg
Ridiculous amount of life left! Around 4-5mm all round I'd say!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Next, the exhaust, bike looked pretty sweet with just the link pipe, looked like a GP bike
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440828.695761.jpg
Then this happened...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440857.765161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346440980.229794.jpg
Oops! So managed to sort out a decent system...errrr no I sorted out a fucking wicked system!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441199.295959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441213.113621.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441226.498926.jpg
Too bloody shiny! Love it though, sounds amazing, the baffle had rotted away inside so had to get the can chopped and welded, so it's literally a straight through system but the can sounds amazing!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441566.489543.jpg
Here she is mounted on and ready to run! Had to take the rear pegs off as they were knocking against the can, have to get a hanger made up to secure it though, standard is too long, and the one on my old can got destroyed with the can lol
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Having troubles with Tapatalk, has let me upload cam pics... So I'll try again... But in honesty, I'm pretty baked at the moment lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441800.002580.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346441809.709343.jpg
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

More to come! Watch this space!
petchickens
My Bike: 1994 zx4r

Post by petchickens »

coming on well nice mate
"good" is a matter of opinion...its a 90's bike...styling is purely up to you, but its a nice bike, dont make it look like some wannabe-toad-looking-need-for-speed-ricer-pile-of-crap...
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

I've got some vids up on YouTube

Ermmmm search DIC Kawasaki ZXR 400, should come up, my username is Neroazzuri
petchickens
My Bike: 1994 zx4r

Post by petchickens »

BigB wrote:I've got some vids up on YouTube

Ermmmm search DIC Kawasaki ZXR 400, should come up, my username is Neroazzuri
iv searched DIC Kawasaki ZXR 400 but cant find note neroazzuri.....fluck it ill try ''neroazzuri
"good" is a matter of opinion...its a 90's bike...styling is purely up to you, but its a nice bike, dont make it look like some wannabe-toad-looking-need-for-speed-ricer-pile-of-crap...
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJangOthAc&feature=plcp - Snapped BEET system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiiCS8IZ1M&feature=plcp - DIC with a few revs - this was the first time i fired her up after fitting, still a few tweaks needed after this vid which i did sort out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tazFDxE4Bqg&feature=plcp - and the ride, phone in my pocket, got a good run around the 1:50mark
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Update!

Have been a little busy so only recently in the last week been able to sort things out!

Started stripping off the bits I won't be using, clocks gone, lights gone, left switch gear gone and shifted the clutch lever down a bit so now acts like I have a wider bar (plan on doing this to the right side as well but need to make a custom on off switch and kill switch or get something from an R1 - i want a quick action throttle too) the left feels a bit nicer and more natural for me now the lever is out a bit more!

Have had to keep the dash lights on as the derestricter connects to them - need to make up a custom loom for it (magic box is like the TRE for the GSXR 1000s)

You can prob see the box I'm talking about - Kawasaki called it the magic box lol it earths onto the the lights and goes into the one connector.

Also went to halfords and bought nitromors, gold paint and lacquer... Going to rebuild and respray my calipers :)

I will just say that now I've taken all the lights out and the other bits and pieces that I don't need, I certainly have noticed the weight loss pushing the bike around as well as riding! It's not a HUGE difference but certainly a noticeable one, easier to throw about.

all the lights have now gone, tidied up the rear end of the loom and took out the tool holder (little box that held the factory tools) looks much neater now, have had to tape up the connections with electrical tape so they don't get wet - I would chop the off but some go into the main loom which I'm not ready to hack at yet!

looks neater than that now!

Do have 1 slight issue which is the choke cable - being that I've taken off the left switch gear, I have no where to put the choke cable and utilise it, is there a way I can make a clip to go on to this part of the carb and out just under the tank?

Also with the clutch switch, need to find a way of bridging the connection for that.

Ready for a steering damper!

And had a bit of fun with the duck tape lol my uncles old race number

She's coming on nicely, need to get a new fuel line as the old one is perishing heavily, gona clean out the tank and get a fuel tap repair kit - old seals etc... Make up the exhaust hanger - sourced out some metal plate, just the case of measuring up and bending, Still need to change the tyres but other than that the only major work needed doing is the cam chain and calipers and she's ready for the track!

Total weight loss so far is around the 13kg mark I'd imagine, if I do go as far as replacing the rims with lighter ones then I think it would be on its limit for where I want it to be.

Talking of which, my weight is hovering around the 16.8stone mark, im aiming for 14stone :)