zxr400 H2 600 conversion

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

murphy the destroyer
My Bike: zxr h2

Re: zxr400 H2 600 conversion

Post by murphy the destroyer »

I've been looking into it and it seems its a common problem, the selector drum wears causing the dogs on 6th gear not to engage with the holes in 2nd gear properly, it wears the edges down and then starts to jump out of 2nd under hard accelleration. Its such a common problem with these that someone's done a "how to" with pics
http://www.crawlinvette.com/zx6e/gearfix/

Its not the end of the world but still really annoying having to take the engine back out after the first ride!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

interesting my cousin has a zx6 with this problem.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
murphy the destroyer
My Bike: zxr h2

Post by murphy the destroyer »

Hi all, finally got round to stripping the gearbox down a few days ago- i found wear on the selector drum, one of the selector forks and the dogs on the side of 6th gear (where they locate into 2nd).
I also found a small crack in the lower crankcase which was weeping a bit of oil.

I've managed to obtain second hand (in good condition) crankcase and gear sets but im stuck trying to find the selector drum and forks- does anyone know if they are the same as a later zx6 etc? or maybe someone on here might have the parts i need?
Any help much appreciated! :smt001