zxr400 H2 600 conversion

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

murphy the destroyer
My Bike: zxr h2

zxr400 H2 600 conversion

Post by murphy the destroyer »

Hi all, you may have seen on another thread that i've been experimenting to see if i can fit a zzr600 engine to a H2, i've seen it done to L model bikes before but never to a H. Now i've established its "do-able", here's the project thread!

The story goes, the bike was bought about a year ago and apart from tired and worn suspension it seemed pretty good, so a gsxr600 k6 rear shock was fitted and the forks were re-valved by perry leask at hm racing and after perry had set it up it handled like nothing i'd ever riden before! things were going great for a while untill a just before christmas on a ride out it started running on 3. I pulled over and while i was trying to figure out what was up the engine stopped dead and a peice of aluminium shot out from the fairing just missing my head!
After it got trailored home it was stripped down and we could see the end of a broken rod trying to make an exit underneath the carbs

While i was deciding what to do a zzr600 came along nice and cheap, it'd been laid up for a few years but it was all there. Proper nasty paint job though!

So both bikes were stripped down and the 600 lump was offered in the the chassis to see if it could be done. It was instantly obvious that 3 out of the 4 engine mount "lugs" would have to be cut from the frame and new ones welded in, but it looked possible so we cracked on!
The engine was blocked up in position and everything seemed to line up ok, the chain line was 6mm out but this could be corrected by either having a special offset front sprocket or machining 6mm from the face of the cush drive. The exhaust headers from the 600 fit but would need minor modification to meet the silencer. The only real problem seemed to be the radiator, the 600 engine was longer and sat further forward so between the exhaust headers and the front wheel was barely enough room for the rad.
After much experimentation it was decided to use the 600 rad (albeit with the fan removed), which strangely was smaller than the 400.
The 400 engine has a boss either side on the back of the head which is bolted to a steel plate in turn bolted to the frame, the 600 had a boss with a rubber mount inside it on the front of the barrels much lower down. It was decided that we'd make a steel bracket that attached to the engine using the outside 4 head bolts which would bolt to the original holes on the front of the frame. The washers under the head bolts were 2mm thick, we removed those and made the bracket from 3mm thick steel sheet- so only 1mm of fixing was lost.
At this point we decided that the whole swap was possible.

So new 3 new engine mounts were made from 10mm aluminium plate and a pair of head steady mounts made from 3mm thick steel sheet with hollow box section arms to mount the rad too. The original zzr oil cooler bracket was modified to fit and all was looking good.
I do all the sleel fabrication myself but for alloy welding i got to alph welding in croyden, so with everything in place it was down to Alec.

Then it was fitted back together for hopefully the last time, engine in, rad and oil cooler mounted, throttle cable and clutch cable fitted straight on! The gear linkage didn't fit but by cutting the bracket and moving it over 1/2 inch it went straight on

Because the rear engine mounts had moved, the access holes in the frame didn't line up and it was impossible to get the bolt in. I didn't want to drill another hole in the frame so i decided to remove the webbing in between the mounts on the engine and use 2 bolts to secure it instead

That's it so far, so next is to connect coolant hoses, wiring loom, i think the base of the tank will have to be modified to fit over the bigger air box, exhaust, modify fairing to fit around the re-positioned generator cover

I'll keep you posted, :smt001
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Re: zxr400 H2 600 conversion

Post by jackdim »

Very nice :D, I love seeing something a bit different. Should be an awesome sleeper bike.

What was involved in getting the K6 shock to fit? Do you know if the rear suspension mounts are the same for the H and L?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

nice !

welding on your frame makes mine look very "blue peter" :(

cant zzr6 engines be taken out to 750 or something ? could be fun
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

cool work, mate! giving me an idea... want to do conversion kits, lol!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
murphy the destroyer

jackdim wrote:Very nice :D, I love seeing something a bit different. Should be an awesome sleeper bike.

What was involved in getting the K6 shock to fit? Do you know if the rear suspension mounts are the same for the H and L?
Cheers!, i think it'll be a great bike once its done- should be about 100bhp and only about 10 kilo's heavier than the 400- i might even see if i can shave some weight from elsewhere to minimise the gain. The zzr isn't as peaky as the 400 its got much more midrange and torque low down so should be quite different.
The best thing is because im breaking the rest of the zzr for parts the whole conversion should cost nothing :smt002

The K6 shock was fairly easy to fit,
if i remember correctly- the bottom mount in the shock needs to be drilled out from 10mm to 12mm and the rubber bush in the top needs to be swapped with the one from the old zxr shock then trim the battery tray a little to clear the reservoir.
murphy the destroyer

zimm wrote:nice !

welding on your frame makes mine look very "blue peter" :(

cant zzr6 engines be taken out to 750 or something ? could be fun

Thanks, the alloy mounts were cut from a 10mm plate with a hacksaw and filed to shape by me and welded in by alpha welding, alec is a fantastic tig welder as you can see and £70 for the 3 hours work to weld it all up was well reasonable. It took so long because it was done 1 weld at a time and allowed to cool for 15mins in between so as not to get too much heat into the frame

Are your rear mounts in a similar position to mine (being that its a slighly different engine and yours is an L model frame)
I'd be interested to see some pics?
murphy the destroyer

cdstirland81 wrote:cool work, mate! giving me an idea... want to do conversion kits, lol!
I could reproduce the brackets i've made but it would only work for that version of the 600 engine in a H frame, and there's still a lot of work to do from then onwards! Im sure the tank will have to have a pocket made in the base of it to clear the airbox, welding up a petrol tank is not something im looking forward too (fire extinguishers at the ready!)
murphy the destroyer

Small update!
I've fitted all the electronics and wiring which needed some modification to allow me to mount the different boxes exactly where i wanted. I've rewired the zzr loom to work with the zxr ignition switch and clocks and fitted longer HT leads to the coils so i can mount them on the original fixings. I've plumbed in all the coolant hoses (although im not happy with the position of the thermostat housing yet) and welded up a tempory exhaust for testing. I'll get a cambell custom exhaust as one of the final stages.
So it was filled with oil and coolant and plugged into a tempory fuel tank and the engine was started for the first time in its new home!

Next up is to modify the rad, i want to put a filler cap directly on the rad and change the position of the top hose outlet. Then im going to make an "in-line" thermostat housing to splice into the bottom hose- pics to follow.
:smt001
twotakt
My Bike: L3

Post by twotakt »

murphy the destroyer wrote: So it was filled with oil and coolant and plugged into a tempory fuel tank and the engine was started for the first time in its new home!
Nice work dude :smt003

murphy the destroyer

A bit more progress today, i set about modifying the tank so it fits over the zzr air box.
First off i wanted to be absolutely sure that there was no trace of petrol or vapour in the tank before i started grinding and welding, so i flushed it out with water a few times and then used a hair dryer to make sure any vapour was gone!

I didn't want to loose any more fuel capacity than neccessary so i started off marking out the areas that needed to be modified.

I removed more and more as neccesary and by the time the tank fitted it looked like this

the top corners of the airbox were touching the sides of the tank so i warmed the area up and using a ball pain hammer made a dished reccess.

Now the tank fitted it was a case of making new panels to weld back in. I used 1mm sheet to match the thickness of the tank. Once all the new peices were tacked in place

Then fully seam welded

I think i've lost about 2-3 litres of fuel capacity but i might be able to get a bit back by modifying the front of the base of the tank, i'll think about it!
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

nice bit of welding there, good job
murphy the destroyer

Cheers. it wasn't easy, my mig welder doesn't really go down low enough!
twotakt

Post by twotakt »

Looks awesome mate, very tidy
murphy the destroyer

Sorry about the lack of updates, i have been busy i promise!

The rad has been modified and it works great, i've made an inline thermostat housing without a filler cap from 2 zzr ones, the cushdrive has been machined to correct the chain line and the fuel tank is finished.

Today however,was full of ups and downs. :excited .......... :smt010

Having put some bodywork back on and fitting a chain and spending a couple of hours making sure nothing had been left loose etc i fired the bike up and went for a gentle first ride.
Riding off down the road it felt just the same as before, light and nimble like a 400 should be so the weight gain must be minimal but the engine has more torque and doesn't mind high ammounts of load at low revs, it didn't bog down like a 400.
I stopped after about 2 miles to make sure there were no leaks and everything seemed fine, so i filled up with fuel (£12 so can't have lost that much capacity!) and got on to the A21, as i peeled on to the slip road i rolled the throttle on in 2nd and the bike started kangarooing and banging like f***! at first i thought the clutch was playing up but it doesn't do it in any other gear. So it seems the reason the zzr donor bike was laid up all those years ago was because 2nd gear was wrecked :smt013

However, Continuing my ride (without opening it up in 2nd) the bike feels great, its not a crazy 4th gear power wheelying tankslapping monster, its a nice handling 400, but one that's happy in any gear at any revs and pulls like a 600 when you open it up. The gearing is way to tall at the moment, 80mph in top is just over 3500rpm, so im going to shorten the gearing a fair bit which will probably make it much more lively. Then its going to cambell exhausts for a new system and hm racing for a dynojet. Hopefully we'll end up with about 100bhp. But all that has to wait untill the gearbox is sorted out. Anyone know how hard it is to fix this?!
twotakt

Post by twotakt »

Easy to fix mate, what you've done with getting the engine in is a lot more difficult.