cliff's H1 track attack!!!

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: cliff's H1 track attack!!!

Post by zimm »

i'd fit the modified system and see how it runs, cant imagine it being far off.
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

right, update...

logbook is finally here, so i can tax the bugger...

bad news is i have an electrical snag. since taking it to MOT, it has stood with the battery off, except when sorting/washing it (i.e. running it to dry it out), and it has become increasing hard to start, particularly cold, so, fuel pump works, all jets etc clear, fuel getting to plug, and sometimes poppping in pipe (which is fookin loud in a steel shed!). there's compression, loads of it, thats tested when i first got bike. so on to spark. there is one, but its toad. pokey yellow flash. ok, measure volts at battery. 11.9v. in its defence, the spark is okay, when the battery is freshly charged, so balls, anyway, with a boost, i get it running, and at idle warm, 14.2v no lights, ok... so wind the revs to 3-4k, lights on and... 16.8v! gulp, nothing seems to of blown, so take battery off, so off to charge with that, meanwhile checked for shorts while battery is off, none there, so i tested every connector, relay, junction box, etc, and thats when i did the test on the reg/rec, where you check continuity thru various pins and thes no connectivity when it should be "half-scale", and a couple of pin combo's that are conducting when resistance should be infinity. and my spare reg/rec is the same! Grrrrr!

its like the reg/rec is drawing power on cranking over to start, then fookin' up the charge once the bugger actually fires!

been doing this test, i don't have three batteries to do the others, (rectifier section on right)

reg/rec 1:

1,2 are infinity
3 100-200 ohms value
4-9 are infinity
10-12 are infinity

reg/rec 2:

1- 12 all infinity

which means they are both goosed, doesn't it? just wanting to check it, before i shell out on a new one! or have i missed something? all help appreciated!

ta in advance,

cliff
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

yep your right i think the regulator is nakered time for a new one 16v is way to high and your resistance checks as you say also showing an internal fault inside the regulator rectifier.
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

cheers mate, was getting it wrapped round my bonce, wasn't sure, lol ta mate!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

I've got a good few of them in a box.

I can check on my bike that it is good before sending as my meter tells me the voltages ticking over , running and lights on.

Let me know and I'll get one plugged up - mind you I should probably just start hooking them on for a day anyway and know that they are OK :smt001

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
missinNZ1
My Bike: zxr400 L2 uk mod

Post by missinNZ1 »

double check your starter solenoid also as the bat,reg/rec and this work in sync to start and regulate power. i had reg/rec go and found out on long ride by the smell of sulphur had to replace all three.
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

thanks for the info mate, starter solonoid tested and was ok, appreciate the help!

cliff
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

right, while waiting for my reg/rec to arrive (thanks Mori Man!), i fitted the modified system and akrapovic can and gave her a wipe with a rag and took some piccies!

camera makes the sidepanels look better than they are, but she's game for an old lass...

oh yeah, i had a "shark fin" ish toe guard knocking around, so i fitted that.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Hey C,

You going to run it with out a rear hugger ? Any time your out in the wet the electrics are going to get an absolute soaking with out it !

Certainly got the "Jap" style, with can going all the way to the end of seat unit but hate that link pipe :smt009

Still good stuff BTW :smt023
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

i'm getting there, there will be a hugger at some point, I got to drill out the snapped off mount bolts first! All connectors have had the vaseline treatment, and I don't do rain, as I rust and seize up...
The link pipe still has remnants of vht paint, but it will be cleaned and polished up a bit, that's this weeks task!
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

well, Mori-Man sorted my out a reg/rec, and battery on, key in, fuel/ignition on, hit the button, and VROOOOM! and a big sigh of relief!

she's charging perfect, all good, so took her on a test ride round the block and it runs loads better, pulls well from 3k ish, can sounds mint, i'll do a few hundred miles on her and get her on a dyno, see whats she's making, and check the fuelling... i'm not too fussed about how much she's making exactly, she's 21 now, so anything over 55BHP and good air/fuel through the revs and i'll be happy...

cheers Mori-Man!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Good to hear C and your most welcome :smt001

You getting a 15+v reading at tickover? (lights off)

BTW, Vaseline is petroleum jelly based - Silicone grease is what your looking for or as I seen on my courier hack fill the back ends of the block connectors with silicone sealant.

Anyhoo, result with the reg'

:excited
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

she'll be alright, the bike gets doted on so any connectors that need sorting will be done. might have a source for aero style round/oval alloy waterproof connectors, Mig 21 style, so the loom will get a sorting out with those if it happens...

until i get the other swingarm, drill out the rounded/snapped bolts to get hugger off, get it painted grey, etc, there's not a lot happening for a bit, bar riding, unless i stumble across something cheap!

long term bits i'm gonna look for late summer/next winter, finances allowing:

CBR1000RR radial master cylinder (they are quite short, so won't hit clocks)
some other front calipers when these die...
SP forks/cams/cdi/pulsar if cheap enough...
Full exhaust system (calm down, MM!)
Nitron/ohlins/other rear shock
2nd engine for a rebuild/refresh/tuning, maybe go 440cc?
footrests/rearsets that can go down for road comfort, up for the track (see page one of this diary for why...)
Re-painted plastics?

but for the meantime, i'm just gonna RIDE!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Errrr, I know a man with several H2 arms now :smt002

Easiest solution for your rearsets is have a machine shop fab' you some riser plates for the OEM ones.

Specify what you want, but 50 back and 25 up should be OK for track use and an easy install / remove .

Callipers - there's the need a fettle range or bolt n go , GPz900 A10 should slip right on and I think ZZR1100 are the same 62mm pitch too. Any ZRX400 1998 onwards callipers are also a direct bolt on.

Radial, was going to fit my 19mm Nissin , now your making me wonder - looks like it will be the Brembo :smt005

J2 forks are like gold nuggets in rocking horse poo now as GPz 9 owners snatch them up (well at least here)

I have several engines too !

But best you get out there and use it, just clocked over 1,000 miles since my re-build :excited
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

hence i'm not looking for go-faster bits until end of the season, she might be sold on then, who knows?
i've always been a honda man, up until now, and i keep having thoughts about a CBR600RR3... dirty, dirty...