cliff's H1 track attack!!!

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

cliff's H1 track attack!!!

Post by cdstirland81 »

firstly, a bit of history, had one of these:
had an off, and ended up with this:
before and after:

my stomach for a few days
femur
ImageImage
pelvis
ImageImage
wrist
ImageImage

that lot hurt, also dislodged most organs, tore femoral artery (was bleeding out in abdomen), concussion, ribs, etc...

so two years later, feeling a bit healthier, so i bought this for £300! ( sorry for crap pics phone camera & hand palsy...)

non runner, seized brakes, carbs, shock and fork seals shot, but allegedly done 16,000 miles!
anyway, took plugs out, turned it over by hand, rings seemed free so, new plugs, fresh fuel, a can of easy start and after 15-20mins of spinning over, vroom, 8000rpm on cold engine and 10 year old oil!
so, now it runs, did a service and cleaned carbs out, and i bought a load of spares (frame swingarm, two shockes, loom, subframe, clocks, etc) from a racer in buxton, and came to the conclusion to use theframe i bought as the original was too nice to wreck in a gravel trap, so, frame swap time...
broke out the black paint, locked myelf in my new shed and set to it...
ImageImageImage

started to build a chassis up, how it look now with back end in, harness on and pared down clocks and warning lights on, etc...
ImageImage

also stumbled on these cheap, bit tatty, but a stubby carbon micron, and a titanium akra for £20! can't moan!!!
also got the engine out and gave it a clean up...

forks getting sorted this week, so should start getting it together, got given some tatty race fairings to sort and fit, will be looking for a seat unit in the new year!

should be another update next weekend, all comments welcome!!!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
cdstirland81

Re: cliff's H1 track attack!!!

Post by cdstirland81 »

was imported 1997, last tax ran out june 1998, if i knew that, it wouldn't of been started on that oil, lol!
stood ten years+ give it some plugs and fuel, and they just run fine, lol!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Hi Cliff,

Great find for £300 :smt004

Of course it started fine after sitting for 10yrs - it's an H :smt003

Looking forward to the end result, don't be making anymore of those hospital pic's when you do though ! shocking

ATB,

MM!

PS. I made most of your pic's into clickable thumbnails - you can go into your photobucket account and switch on the filte for displaying the code. It makes the page load quicker and also large pic's are scaled to page instead of being half displayed :smt023
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

£300, thats a good buy!!

Narly pics, welcome to the forum! :smt001
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

cheers MM and redexrob, don't plan on anymore hospital trips, i have arthritis already and its only going to get worse, thats why i've gone for a 400, not the usual 600/1000 thing...

poking round the engine today, and it looks like the inlet rubbers and head match up perfectly, and the ports themselves look very smooth (have no idea what normal zxr400 ports look like), so i wonder if its been breathed on, lol!

keep them comments coming, much appreciated!
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

You end up in Calow by any chance?
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

yep, spent over four weeks in a hospital thats nearly opposite a bike shop... :smt018
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by bendog66 »

CMC? I work in chez mate. What ward were you on? some of the nurses on Robinson..... :smt007
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

robinson, murphy, CDU. there was two lovely nurses on murphy, a blonde and brunette, both as fit as, daily wash was extasy!
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by bendog66 »

great, isn't it? :smt003
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

yeah, it was a shame i couldn't walk, stand, not leak puss from the 8" scar/hole in the pubic area, couldn't even get to ateention, ahem...
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

sort of a mini update:

because of the plethora of slip on cans, i decided to chop the flange off a standard set of headers and fit the slip on akra, which happens to be the right size...

so, my man jimmy on the job...

during all this, the link pipe baffle "fell" out...

and i "blagged" these a 120/70 bt014 ( for the wobbly first time out in a while (got a rear) and when i'm back on it 2x 120/70 pirelli supercorsas (also have rears), part worns, but i'll take anything free and useful...

left the exhaust and cans with the man, should be ready in a few days with a tidy spring mounted akra on standard headers! lovely!
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

another wee update...

while jimmy-san rivets up the rebuilt akra, and sorts the pipes out, i got the engine in while i'm waiting for fork seals and oil.

piccies

all coming together, got it all plugged in, put the battery on, span over lovely, lol!

got the carbs on and cables linked up, next step, get the front end back in!
Carter
My Bike: Ducati 1098s, zxr 400 H1

Post by Carter »

Nice one cliff, did exactly the same last year. None runner....Stripped & rebuilt, brought her up to date a bit to. Renthal grips and sprockets (full set for every track day as gearing is a big issue) new chain, stomp grip, gixer k5 600 shock, gixer k6 front brake master cylinder and hell lines with EBC hh pads, carbon can co gixer end can (my link baffles fell out to lol) Harris gixer thou rear sets, crash bungs and some decent rubber with a sprint damper to help ou that little bit more. Got a spray painter mate of mine who filled all the holes from the lights etc then sprayed it up for me. Took all the crap off it to lighten it up (and there's loads) cut all the crap out the loom so it started on the button, new fluids/filters all around (coolant was a nasty rusty goo when i flushed it!) and god knows how many other things i can't think of done over the last year!
few problems though to look out for. first was the fuel pump, as it hadn't ran for a while it packed up on the second track day i did on it, though it was easy to just bypass it and carry on with a full tank for the rest of the day until i got a new one off evil bay.
Clutch was at the end of its adjustment by the end of the year to, thought is was the cable stretched after a low side (caused by the breaks binding and it being wet at Cadwell under the trees!) but it wasn't, new clutch plates sorted that.
oil leaks from around....well all of the bottom end to be honest. new gaskets and oils seals for the bottom end....think that was due to when i picked it up the first time there was fuel in the sump from it washing past the pistons and that did none of the seals any good while it had been sat there for soooooo long in a barn.
Latest one for me to contend with is I've totally cooked the calipers....Time for gsxr four pots i think. No point rebuilding them, they're 20 years old and not really up to the job so the list goes on!

so which tracks you planning to frequent? nice pics by the way! cover all that stuff in my line of work and that is a good effort lol

ooh and just found the thread from when i finished last year with pic's of my proud creation! viewtopic.php?f=87&t=8396
Life is like a grind stone; it'll grind you down or polish you up, depending on what you're made of.
cdstirland81

Post by cdstirland81 »

i plan to do all tracks within a few hours of home, so thats mallory, donington, cadwell, silverstone and oulton park! i am located perfectly for a variety of tracks, luckily!

progress has slowd at the moment, rebuilding forks and doing seals at the moment, which is so fun when one of the fork bottom bolts (the one that holds the damping rod in) is rounded off, so i am having to do that one the hard way, lol! making a tool to hold the spring down from the locking nut tomorrow, so i can get the fork top back on when i've done the seal! i'll get some pics up soon, when they are going back together. p.s. are the seals meant to be a giraffe to get into the slider? seems impossible to get them far enough in to get the circlip back on? ideas?