MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Re: MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Post by MillaMeter »

vanman wrote:Good work fella
The pic of the wheels and wavey discs looks very cool , What make are they?
Hi,

The wavy rear disc is made by a racing company called Kagizume, if you do decide to get a set, don't be fooled by the name or where they come from. I've used a rear Kagizume on my zxr before I put this spanking new 1 on and had no problems what so ever. I still have the old 1 (done about 500 miles) up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Finally got the front discs today and bolted all up with shiny stainless disc bolts. I found some new bearings for the spension pivot arm, £40 delivered for 5 bearings only problem is now is that the collers that go into the bearings are shagged. 1 of them has bearing marks where the bearings seized up and just put dents in it. Looks like another phone call to Kawasaki in the morning.

Regards

Rich
Last edited by MillaMeter on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

MillaMeter wrote:..... Looks like another phone call to Kawasaki in the morning.
Or, take them to a local machine shop and have stainless ones made :smt001

Still dubious about Chinese steel products ! The name means throwing star ( I wonder why :smt005 ) but they have nothing to do with Japan.

Please name all Chinese racing companies - pretty much all of them as it gives them some pedigree :smt011

Also the domestic Chinese market is upto 125cc , big bikes are illegal and only government and foreigners can apply for special licence to have one. I know a few owners and they are an elite group and indeed ask me to supply parts to them.

Parts are copies with no R&D or understanding why it's made that way , great for your pocket bike not so hot for your 140MPH pocket rocket !

IMHO
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Small update, top of forks have been polished, stanchions cleaned up, axle pinch bolts polished and the front axle nut polished. I know it's not much but i was violently ill last week. MM I also bought some 303 grade stainless rod at 20mm OD to cut down and drill. My dad has a metal lathe so they can be made up with ease. I finally found a swingarm which I picked up last last weekend and just picked it up from the powdercoaters today which I must say looks awesome.

There are some before and after shots.

Before Clean

After Clean

Both before and after in the same shot, right 1 is polished.

Swingarm looking gravy!

Next on the list is to paint the bottom of the fork legs silver, replace the swingarm bearings ( powdercoaters shot blasted them :smt009 ) polish some more bits and bobs, get hold of a new rear shock and get a rolling frame at least.

Regards

Rich
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

You've got a bit of a "bling" fetish going on there - haven't you ? :smt002

Good news on the swinger - never trust powder coaters to mask off anything :smt009

I used to fill all the bolt holes with acrylic sealant. When the item goes into the oven the sealer shrinks a bit and cleans the thread, also very easy to cut the plug out.

Rolling chassis pic's are going to look good :smt001
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Those pinch bolts and axle are going to go rusty very quickly if they get wet, rich. If you want them to last i would change the pinch bolts for stainless if you havent already, and the axle get the end chromed or maybe galvanised.

Otherwise looking good so far matey :smt001
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

RedexRobB wrote:Those pinch bolts and axle are going to go rusty very quickly if they get wet, rich. If you want them to last i would change the pinch bolts for stainless if you havent already, and the axle get the end chromed or maybe galvanised.

Otherwise looking good so far matey :smt001
Hi,

Already there mate :tease Pinch bolts were changed ages ago, just thought I'd buff them up to give them bit of bling and attention to detail (sad I know) The front axle nut I polished to a chrome look then sprayed it with clear lacquer so I don't have to keep on top of it :smt003

Tip: Never lacquer polished aluminium, trust me you'd regret doing it... I did. For some reason when you spray polished aluminim it goes all cloudy and horrible, well.... it did with me anyway.

Regards

Rich
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

that'll be because clear laquer isnt as clear as you think :smt003
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

try clear warnish, honestly...
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
keeton.
My Bike: 2002 zxr 400

Post by keeton. »

looking really good and loving the wheels and disc's. can i ask your process for polishing stuff like your yokes.
2002 zxr400
Broken.
Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

Them wheels are lush! This project is excellent! cant wait to see the finished project!
Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

Them wheels are lush! This project is excellent! cant wait to see the finished project!
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,
keeton. wrote:looking really good and loving the wheels and disc's. can i ask your process for polishing stuff like your yokes.
Simple, bought myself a bench grinder, 3 way polishing mops and a pigtail adaptor and away you go. Use the rough mop first to beat all them nasty pit marks out, then used the stitched mop to iron out the creases, scratches etc.... then used the loose leaf mop to give it that bling look. :smt003
Zxr-Ali wrote:Them wheels are lush! This project is excellent! cant wait to see the finished project!
Ha!... you're not the only 1 .

Here's some more progress on the rear end. Swingarm has been lacquered and looking rather gravy, brand new chain runner, lots of polished bolts blah blah blah, new swingarm bearings, shock stripped and cleaned up very very well. Getting the spring powdercoated white or blue haven't decided yet but which either way it's gona look nice. Sorry to say but these picture just don't do it justice. My camera phone is shite so I do apologise for the poor images.

Bling! :smt004

Regards

Rich
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

talk about a bloke with taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did ya see the guiness :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

looking great mate!!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

masterofinsanity wrote:talk about a bloke with taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did ya see the guiness :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

looking great mate!!
Hi,

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww yes I love me Guinness good for you aswell kids :smt002 full of iron.

My Fiance even took me to the Guinness storehouse last year in Dublin... best weekend ever!! Well worth the money. Even bought some Guinness boxers as a souvenir :smt003

Regards

Rich
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

That bikes going to have more sparkle that Liberace's wardrobe :smt005
liberace_fur.jpg

:smt002

Looking good :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.