MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

This is now the moment everyone has been waiting for.... I think. I have offically started stripping my baby down this morning and already ran into some trouble.... typical bolt snapping inside the fork leg at the front fender, what a giraffe!

Anyway I know it's not much to look at but I've only got a few hours daylight before I goto bed so please forgive me for the slow build but trust me your jaws will hit the floor at the end of it :)

I'm hoping I'll have enough funds to get the: crack balanced and lightened, lighter pistons, stainless valves, polished and ported, head skimmed, new head gasket, new cam chain, valve clearences done, KBATL Slipper clutch installed and many many more the list is endless.

And that's how she sits now....

Right.... does anyone know any good cheap powdercoaters or chrome dippers in the hertfordshire area as I'm gonna need some prices ready so I can save the funds for it.

Hopefully I'll get some more done tomorrow on the rear.

Stay tuned.

Regards

Rich
Last edited by MillaMeter on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Re: MillaMeter's Mk2 Rebuild

Post by jackdim »

Nice build, where did you get the Tank cover from?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

whos doing all the engine work rich? will be loking to do a mk2 build on mine at some point in the future!
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

jackdim wrote:Nice build, where did you get the Tank cover from?
Hi,

It's made by Bagster over in France. New cost £90, got it from a website like 2 years ago when I fell into a big pot of money from my TAX rebate.

Rob: I'm gonna be doing some of the engine work myself, well the bits I CAN do myself, things like the crank and head will be sent off. HG, cam chain and pistons i'll do myself no sweat.

Regards

Rich
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

yeah i thought you might. Dunno where is local to Herts, but Hodson engineering can do most if not all of what your asking there. Simon Lowes (slowerracing) used them i think to tune his race bike.

http://www.hodsonengineering.co.uk/ click on motorcycle engines :) be interesting to see what sort of price it is to do your motor.
Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

jackdim wrote:Nice build, where did you get the Tank cover from?
I got one if intrested, not sure on condition, could just do with a nice clean up
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

RedexRobB wrote:yeah i thought you might. Dunno where is local to Herts, but Hodson engineering can do most if not all of what your asking there. Simon Lowes (slowerracing) used them i think to tune his race bike.

http://www.hodsonengineering.co.uk/ click on motorcycle engines :) be interesting to see what sort of price it is to do your motor.
Hi,

just dropped him a line so hoping to get a reply tomoz. Rob, where did you get your powdercoating done from? I have a dude round my area but he doesn't do shotblasting only powdercoating. He quoted me 70 notes for the whole bike to be powdercoated including lil bits and bobs.

Anyone have any good reasonable shot blasters in thier areas?

Regards

Rich
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

i used a company called custom wyteline http://www.custom-powder.co.uk/ near my mums in Medway. theres more than likely somewhere closer to you than them, tho. Id also say that the quality wasnt superb either, it did the job of course but could have been better, so id definately go for somwhere closer.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Looks like I'll have to keep looking then :(

Not much more this time, panels taken off with ease and the half the subframe off. Started her today for the last time before she gets dismantled. I few rough spots here and there that I noticed. Gonna get a new oil cooler form Aaron Radiators and the Rad recored for good measure as half the fins are badly bent over. I hate looking at the bike at the moment, just makes me wanna cry :smt010

Anyway...sniffels over now back to the action. The engine is surprizingly clean concidering I never clean it lol.

Regards

Rich
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

might make you cry, but once you get the rough bits ironed out and back together, that feeling far outweighs the bad one!!
Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

millameter, there is a place in ware(hertfordshire) i have emailed about sandblasting and powder coating frame as they do it, not got back to me yet so going to give them a call i think and try and get a quote, link : http://rfiscreening.co.uk/default.aspx
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Zxr-Ali wrote:millameter, there is a place in ware(hertfordshire) i have emailed about sandblasting and powder coating frame as they do it, not got back to me yet so going to give them a call i think and try and get a quote, link : http://rfiscreening.co.uk/default.aspx
Hi,

Thank you very much Ali, much appreciated. Let me know what they say :)

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Much more done this morning, all this done in 2 hours. I do apologise for the very slow build, trust me it'll get more exciting when the frame comes back from the powdercoaters and bits and bobs get over hauled.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Back again with alot more done this time, at this moment of time the bike is completely dismantled, unfortunatly I haven't got any photos as I was loosing light quite quickly, I did take some photos of what light I had all I need to do now is start stripping some paint and send it off to the powdercoaters!

Cant wait!!

Regards

Rich
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Post by mark400 »

Hi Millameter,

I have used this guy for the last few sets of wheels I have had done - It's very inexpensive, he shot / sand blasts them beforehand, and the quality is excellent.

H & S Enamelling Ltd Powder Coating. Tel: 01895 233251| Unit 7, Cowley Mill Trading Estate, Longbridge Way, Cowley, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 2YG ...

Kind regards,

Mark
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS