ZXR400?

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Re: ZXR400?

Post by Max4music »

Ur sure doing a sweet job on that. Did the exhaust start out like that or have you worked some spectacular magic on it?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

The last Ti pipe I posted up was a hand bent Yoshimura so the colouring comes from them heating it up to make the curves :smt007

Had a busy week but managed to pick away at a bit more - frame nearly done now, the rough cast sections have been a sod to get a nice finish and I've had to call it quits where I am at, can always come back to them at a later date.

Another engine arrived 2 days ago - but that's another story :smt002

Not wanting any delays after getting it built up ( Deadline for getting it MOT'd) I'm going to use original engine and wiring knowing this to be in working condition then do the swap over to SP/Race loom with CDI and rotor, once that's in place and working then the engine transplant :smt001

Next is cleaning up the 3 sets of nut's n bolts and picking out the best for the re-build. all the small brackets / holders and panel stays have been picked out and about 80% of them are still in good original condition :smt001 Hoping to do the panel fixings in something a bit tastier than the standard pan heads though !

Should have some pic's by next weekend of the build progressing.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

What on earth do you do, Mori? You seem to always have about ten times as much fundage as me to throw at these beautiful things...
Vard.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

No kids , No mortgage , No rent (wife pays) , No household bills (wife pays) but if I have a good month go 50% , car needs feck all done to it so my only outlays are my hobbies :excited

It's a bad life but some one's got to do it - however the mod money is dependant on others wanting to mod their bikes.

Just spoke with my mate in Glasgow and he is relieving me of a fully adjustable with double remote adjusters Ohlins rear shock for his GPz900R :smt004 Was on the 400 and felt nice but now have a pukka one, well , maybe just :smt001

I'm pulling everything out of the store bedrooms just now and currently have three Ti zorst systems retiring on my couch :smt007 Might as well make them comfy :smt002

Behind me is a few end cans, ZXR4 tank, some TZR parts, UEDA racing box section swinger for XJ400 , assorted GAG tyres and a few of my toolbox's

Well seeing the wife is in Switzerland just now :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

your house sounds like my house before i was born. My dad kept whole bikes indoors cos he run out of room in the shed AND 2 garages! and they were pilled on top of one another too. He had over 100 bikes at one point. Like you he had no rent (his mum owned the house), mortgage or kids. Bills were minimal and he worked full time, so money was just spent on building old british bikes up and selling them on as well as any spares.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Think all my dwellings have been like that (not so many bikes though :smt012 )

Our house in Glenrothes had an upstairs living room , my fully working KL250 lived up there with the end can near the back window so i could piss the neighbours off anytime i liked :smt003 Council floorboards aren't made for a single thumper :smt005

Flat in Glasgow had my fully built CG125 in the hallway , even the forensic CID investigators said they could eat their dinner off it biggrin . They did however ask if there was petrol in the tank as the fire brigade would be a bit nuts about that - it was empty!

Next flat had the GPz600 in it several times :smt003

Carrying on a tradition :smt002 Japanese love traditions :smt001

Still can't build the ZXR in the flat though :smt017
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Bit of graft today

Post by Mori Man »

Started this afternoon with this:

and a couple of hours later was left with this:

Most of the time was actually taking photo's of nearly every part coming off so i can easily locate where it goes back.

I've also done a bit of this too:

Some carbon fibre inserts that will get clear coated once I've done the other bit's :

ImageImage

Finally got the old tank protector of and all the glue removed :excited Next job is assembling the rocker for the uni track and painting the tie rods.

Definitely going to drop frame onto engine , mount swinger and shock then lift the lot onto a "milk crate" and paddock stand - getting used to lugging the engine about as now have four in the flat :smt005 Picked up an OEM chain the other day so that will get fitted, endless :smt004

Apart from some "in your face parts" the rest will be left as is and once legal will tackle them over the winter months (or do a day job on them) and have it looking tip top come next Spring.

Look out for a mid-October road report shocking

MM!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I like the carbon fibre inserts, take its the real vynyl stuff and not the fake 'gray and black squares' stuff that i see people using on thier bikes.

Looking forward to seeing this run mate!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

RedexRobB wrote:I like the carbon fibre inserts, take its the real vynyl stuff and not the fake 'gray and black squares' stuff that i see people using on thier bikes.

Looking forward to seeing this run mate!
Cheers Rob , It's the real deal :smt003 No vinyl to be seen anywhere :smt018

I've two sheets of self-adhesive stuff and one you bond yourself (slightly thinner and easier to cut and bend) , all cost a freakin fortune though shocking but I do like that 3D look you get staring at carbon :smt007

Lot's of cleaning to do today , get the plastic siliconed along with all the rubber boots and hangers. Pick up some more 6mm stainless bolts and one thing I've forgotten is a new pair of grips but I do have a new set Works gave me some where but might go for something else :smt017

Forks, although not SP are going to be overhauled at some point as they are in great condition and if a buyer doesn't claim his Showa oil soon that will be getting used in them.

Later.......
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Paint it Black

Post by Mori Man »

Got the triple set done, frame and clip on's :smt001

Swinger should get it's colour coat and clearcoat tomorrow.

This is a Kawasaki Black with a blue mettalic flake :smt007

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Got new bars, grips and have put GPz900R throttle cables in and replaced the switchgear housing philip bolts with nice Stainless ones :smt004

Swinger will get new bearings and dust seals as I have them in stock and headrace shells are sitting waiting to be knocked back in again.

Overhauled the uni track linkage and put in fresh greese and new nipples, ohlins is in place and unit is ready to be hooked onto frame and swinger :smt003

List of stuff not being done now:

Clock cradle
Side stand
Torque arm
sub frame
rear peg hangers
assorted fixings and brackets

all these will be tackled once the bike is on the road.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Looks good man, will you be able to get the fork leg in ok having painted the inside of the clamp?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

RedexRobB wrote:Looks good man, will you be able to get the fork leg in ok having painted the inside of the clamp?
Believe it or not there's masking tape inside them - now removed and done a mock build on the spare set of legs :smt016

Carbon on the top bridge needs another spray with the two pack lacquer to get it looking good , swinger is nearly complete now and with having to buy a new can of the two pack (needs to be used within 24hrs once started) I've made a start on the torque rod and the ally chain guard, might do the side stand but want to see what the silver looks like on the bike before making it Black lol

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Frame is finished and is hanging up allowing the top coat to harden, hoping to commence building on Monday and have a rolling chassis by Tuesday.

Weekend tasks:
Finish Swing arm , torque rod and chain guard.
Remove old frame from engine then lift it onto workmate and secure it in. Dial cam's in and set up timing, give it a general quick clean.
Remove complete front end from ZRX and fit original.
Remove rear wheel,calliper and master cylinder from ZRX and fit original.
Remove rear sprocket from hub and fit a 520 pitch.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Liking the frame! It all looks smashing!!
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

That frame is sweeeeet! Looking good fella, it's gona be sick!!
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Had to do some scooting about today so didn't get as much as I wanted done but, swinger is complete and is hardening up. Chain guard and torque arm have their final colour coat done and will get the 2 pack tomorrow and I had enough base and colour coat left to tackle the frame to fairing stay - it's got a couple more colour coats to go on tomorrow but all three will be complete at the end of the day.

I;ve some pallets under the veranda so will be making a cradle for the engine to sit in and lifted enough off the ground to make assembly a bit easier - the idea being that once the front and back end is on I can but the paddock stand on and lift the bike clear and pull out the cradle then fit zorst.

Had to fit the triples up today though to see the look :smt007

ImageImageImage

Top bridge got an additional top coat and that's really brought out the carbon :smt016

Also pulled out the two complete bolt sets I bought and will pull out the best of them for the re-build

Tomorrow the frame will be on the engine and hopefully a front or rear end too :smt001