ZXR 400 H, J, L and M models

A spin off from a previous post by RobB, I have created a forum so we can identify which model ZXR400 you have and to show different variations of colour schemes. Please feel free to post pictures to help others identify their ZXR400's but please keep them to factory std releases.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

ZXR 400 H, J, L and M models

Post by RedexRobB »

Ok heres another thread from me which i hope will be of use to everyone to help recognise what models are what, more so to clarify the difference between the J and M models from the H and L.

Well the best place to start would be right at the beginning, so lets start with the H1 and H2 Model ZXR400.

H1/H2 (1989 1990)

No difference between the two models at all. As you can see they have a twin headlight arangement, very boxy bodywork and the frame is also different to the L model as you will soon see. You are typically able to see the remote reservior which on a standard model is only adjustable for the rebound damping and preload as are the front forks. Never officially sold in the UK so any that are here are all imports! A picture of a bog standard H1/H2 model shown below (except for the braided lines and race can of course! :smt002 ).

J1
Now, the J model is the SP version of the H1 model, it looks exactly the same as the H1 model but has a few subtle differences as i have highlighted in the picture below:

Difference number 1
The seat unit! One of the biggest give aways that it is an SP model! But dont be fooled as it could be an aftermarket piece of bodywork, heres how to tell viewtopic.php?t=3068

Difference number 2
The rear shock. The J1 model has a bright kawasaki green shock as in this picture if you look carefully. As far as im aware the spring is different to standard but the shock is not any more adjustable.

Difference number 3
There is also no more adjustment on the front forks but as with the rear shock it the internals could possibly be different.

difference number 4
*NEW* cant believe i forgot, the gearbox! It is closer ratio!

J2
The same as the H2 just called the J2 and is the SP model of the H2 model again with some subtle differences. Now this is where Kawasaki looks like they started getting serious with the SP models as highlighted below in both pictures of a J2.

Difference number 1
As with the J1 model it has a single seat unit and has 'sports production' on the number board.

Difference number 2
Fully adjustable rear shock, looks the same? Look again! Comparing the remote reservoir with the J1 there is an extra part of the reservoir, see it? Its just that bit longer! Here is where the adjustment for compression damping comes in makng the rear shock fully adjustable!

Difference number 3
Now im not 100% sure on this but i believe the J2 came with flatslide carburettors where as the J1 didnt, obviously these types of carbs are great for extra power if your racing! A very rare piece of kit and very very expensive if you can find them! There is also a possiblility that the cams were also adjustable with slotted ends so the timing could be altered, again im not 100% sure, if someone knows let me know :)

Difference number 4
Fully adjustable front forks, look closer again and you will see a small bit sticking out underneath the front caliper, this is where the compression adjuster is located and makes the forks fully adjustable. Compare that with the standard H model and you can see there isnt one.

Difference number 5
*NEW* The gearbox! It is closer ratio!

Ok, the ZXR400 comes into a new era with a fresh look! Kawasaki also officially started selling this model ZXR400 in the UK!

L1 to L9 (1990 - 2004)
the ZXR400 has had a major face lift, apart from the engine everything is new! The headlight has gone from twin lights to two lights combined in one whole unit. The bodywork is a completely different shape being alot lot curvier. the rear shock no longer comes with a remote reservoir so cannot be seen hanging off the underside. There were no major modification between the L1,L2,L3 upto the L9 apart from revisions to the colour schemes and a spoiler/ grab handle from 1995 onwards. A nice example shown below:

M1 upto M? (1990 - ???)
Ok the M model, just an SP version of the L model ZXR400. A lovely example here

Difference number 1
As with the J models they had single seat units but instead of 'sports production' they have '400R' on the number board.

Difference number 2
The rear shock is fully adjustable, as you can see the compression adjustment screw is at one end of the reservoir.

Difference number 3
Now i know for definate that the M model came with adjustable cams and flatslide carbs.

Difference number 4
Fully adjustable forks which can be identified by the compression adjustment screw below the front caliper.

Difference number 5
*NEW* The gearbox! It is closer ratio!

And that just about sums it all up. Ive got some pictures of the parts books for the M model which i will post up later on.

Oh, you didnt think that was the last of it did you? :lol: Theres one more we havent mentioned! - the ZXR400 Itoham replica! Now i dont know where or why this bike came about but it is definately a standard colour from Kawasaki as ive seen a picture of one in a kawasaki parts book! As far as im aware its a completely standard L model with just a special paint job! A lovely example here of one that belonged to a member here yamswheelyr1, he bought the bodywork seperate and fitted it to his bike after he smashed it up, but here are a few pictures of it:

So that really does sum it all up now! Thanks for reading and i hope it proves useful to everyone!

Update

The J2 model, obviously the SP version of the H model

The M model, again the SP version of the L model. Havent been able to find higher than M6.

The Itoham rep

Now while looking for these parts book pictures, there seems to be an L4A, possibly the Itoham rep bike??

Credits
This post as a collation of information that i have gathered over the years of being on this site and through some of my own investigation. So if you feel there are any discrepancies in what i have written or have anything new that should be added, then please PM me and i will amend this post as necessary.

A few thanks to the people who these pictures belong to, no i havent asked but you put pictures up on the internet what do you expect? :smt016 And thanks to Bikepics.com for the hosting!
Last edited by RedexRobB on Sat May 19, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

good effort rob
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

bloody quality robB i am adding a few more bits to the main site soon, so i will make this a big feature, do you have any of those books robB? i've got the l4A book, i'll dig it out bit the Itoham job was the team france racing wasn't it??
fantastic post mate well done!!

PS i thought there were differences between the H1 & H2 models?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Go for it mate, be good to have something comprehensive about models and years etc...

I dont have any of those books unfortunately, i got the pictures of them from yahoo auctions japan, theres toad loads of parts books just like that going on there.

http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/s ... 0jp&acc=jp

Some of the pictures have handily got the part number for the parts book printed on them so maybe you can order them new from kawasaki? But dunno how a dealer would see it if you bought them.

If theres differences between the H1 and H2 then share it here mate :)

Interstingly i found this on cyclechaos.com they list the part numbers for the parts catalogues, its the PC No, above OE No and Sm No.

For the H model
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_ZX400-H

For the L model
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki ... L_Model%29

And you will also notice that the L4A is listed as the Itoham Rep.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

the microfiche book i have covers L4, L4A & L5 and the itoham rep only came in the L4A models.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: ZXR 400 H, J, L and M models

Post by zimm »

two things ...

firstly, H1 -H2 diffs

H1, and H2 have different swingarms, the H1 swinger is braced, the H2 looks like an L model swinger but has slightly different dimensions..

H1's have a smaller diameter rear wheel spindle, and a different sprocket carrier/sprocket

cdi box numbers differ too, but are interchangeable :) providing the correct/matching rotor is fitted

there are also 3 or 4 different types of camchain tensioner fitted to these bikes, first one used a rubbish system with a collar and bb's to prevent it pushing back in, later ones use teeth (i strongly recommend fitting the later type, easier to fit, more reliable, totally interchangeable)

forks are different too, H1's identifiable by different fork tops with a bit of plastic on them and cruder internals than H2/L forks which i believe are the same internally but again have different fork tops to each other. H forks are also longer than L's, the extra length being in the fork bottoms, which prevents L discs/mudguards being fitted without some filing.

secondly, the H1 in the first picture of this thread is mine (although the pic is from 2 years ago before i owned it), and its got an J1 rear shock (note green spring) and full scorpion exhaust along with the braided lines (although the bodywork went onto gubbs' H2, and the H1 is being sprayed blue tomorrow)
Last edited by zimm on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i had a feeling there were differences between the H1 & H2 cheers for clarifying that.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Nice one mate, i never thought there were any, but thats what this thread is for! :smt001
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

no worries :)

now, does anyone know exactly which models came with the KBATL slipper clutch? because in my experience its random, despite the manuals showing the same clutch in every version. Same kinda thing with ignition rotors, there are at least two types, generally thought of as H and L, yet the H model manual shows both types without explaining which is which, and this despite the fact that when it was printed, the L hadn't even been made !

my ZX-4 doesn't have one :(
my H1 does have one :)
my H2 did have one :)
my L5 doesn't have one :(

My guess is they started out fitting them to everything (H1, H2, SP's .. ) then dropped it for the L's but kept them for the SP's. reasoning ? because they rattle like fook .. whilst normal clutches dont.. they do work though, although bumpstarts are tricky :)

however, both my H's have been bitsa's and neither had the original engine's fitted, god knows what they were, H/L, may even have been SP engines, cams were definitely not SP spec (adjustable), and i aint stripping the gearboxes to start counting teeth. thinking about it the two blown engines that came with them (which i presume were the originals) dont have slipper clutches either, so thats that theory screwed.. and i seem to recall some L models having KBATL stickers on .. hmmmm

maybe they all have them but the later ones look different .. there's definitely two types of clutch though, and my L5 locks up the backend when downshifting all too easily leading me to suspect that it isn't a slipper in there.

L3(?), (might be L4), onwards the cams have visibly less duration compared to the earlier ones too, biggest difference is in the exhaust cam. Early bikes all essentially having SP cams but without adjustable sprockets. Some cams are marked R1, some R2, doesn't seem to signify anything regarding lift/duration though. and yes, i know they are all specced the same as each other in the various H/L/L9 manuals, but they are VISIBLY different.

yet another difference, and this seems to be down to the original intended market and only on L4 (i think) onwards, is that some bikes have different pistons giving a slightly lower compression ratio..

lol, add all this together and the slowest zxr's are the newest >> softer cams, lower compression, smaller jets, more restrictive airbox*.....

later ones have WAY more midrange though, in that, well, there is some :)

*H model airbox flows better than L model (sounds better too), actually, the airbox off the original ZX-4 flows even better, being an H model box, but the top part is bigger as there's more room under the tank.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

bugger me, thats almost an essay !

i need to get out more ..
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Where did you get this information mate, is there something we have been missing all this time not to have found it? Could it be emmisions that there are cam differences? Mines an imported L3, does that make it a fast one? :smt003

As far as i knew all ZXR's had a slipper clutch, thats what i was led to believe anyway, cant say i ride aggresively enough to lock a rear wheel i have too much mechanical sympathy! You say slipper clutches are noisy but all ZXR clutches are, some i have heard are worse than others, could the noiser ones be the slipper clutched ones?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

im getting this info from parts i have in my garage :)

over the last 8 years ive had 2 ZX-4's, an H1, an H2 an L5, and the L1/zx6r hybrid..

the first ZX-4 blew the bottom end so its engine was replaced with one from an H1,
the two H's ive had/got came with replacement engines fitted along with the two dismantled original engines and about half a dozen boxes of spares..
the L5 i bought was stock, but has been dynojetted fitted with a KnN downgeared and wears a full micron system, alongside a uk spec CDI..

in the last 4 months ive rebuilt the engine in my other half's ZX-4, the H1, the H2*, my L5 and (am in the midst of doing the zx6r lump, although thats not relevant here) so i have been in the fortunate position to be able to compare multiple different spec engines alongside each other.

*ported the head, assembled without base gasket to hike compression, went well, bit of a whole in the midrange but topend was great even on a stock exhaust, no figures as i didnt get to dyno it

I can assure you there are two different tpes of clutch, the whole basket is different (takes the same plates though) and it lacks the kbatl cam plate which is free to rotate about 10 degrees behind the basket, this is why the kbatl clutches have that death rattle when the steel plates are worn (who out there religiously changes steels?) assembles with the thicker steels the rattle almost dissapears (but then it wont slip as much), the other type doesnt suffer this fate, although there is often a faint rattle from the bearing that supports the whole basket.

i'll try and get some pics tomorrow ..

dont know when the cams changed exactly, my guess is the change was to give more midrange (more liner power curve) as it coincided with the speccing of different needles in the carbs. but there is a visible difference in the duration on both inlet and exhaust.

as for the airbox, i tried them all on Emma's ZX-4 out of curiosity and made a mental note of how it ran etc .. when jetted right for the stock zx-4 box it ran progressively richer with H, then L boxes fitted, and leaner when going the other way and jetted for the L box.

ho hum, like i said before, i need to get out more :)
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

pic of non-slipper clutch from a zxr400 engine

mandie82
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by mandie82 »

I have a L9 and i was told mine is a slipper clutch! very noisey indeed... can hear it over my beowulf can!

Also the L models are slower than the H.. mine was dyno'd 70 times before they got it running smooth and it only still manages 62 BHP.. which when you look at the spec it is supposed to be around the 69 mark I think!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

62bhp at the wheel is respectable for a zxr in stock trim .. tis true that later models had milder camshafts, early ones have a more pronounced power band from 10k +