ZXR 400 H, J, L and M models

A spin off from a previous post by RobB, I have created a forum so we can identify which model ZXR400 you have and to show different variations of colour schemes. Please feel free to post pictures to help others identify their ZXR400's but please keep them to factory std releases.

Moderator: Moderators

wee des

Re: ZXR 400 H, J, L and M models

Post by wee des »

Hi ive just joined the site and looking for help trying to identify my bike looking at it its an L1 but its on an F reg and the frame number starts zx400H suggesting its an H model but has the frame, swingarm, bodywork of the L1 any help would be great.. sorry no pictures.. :smt017
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

wee des wrote:Hi ive just joined the site and looking for help trying to identify my bike looking at it its an L1 but its on an F reg and the frame number starts zx400H suggesting its an H model but has the frame, swingarm, bodywork of the L1 any help would be great.. sorry no pictures.. :smt017

This is a bit complicated to explain but, if you go here:

http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/for_user ... earch.html

and enter your frame details under the 2nd arrow then click the furthest right button on that bar then you'll see what model you have.

Anybody using the Japanese kawasaki on-line micro fiche and wanting to save the images/info you'll need to use "Opera" as your web engine :smt004 :smt003

Noticed that my bike is a '89 H but the barcode say's it's a H2 :smt017

Going to type in the frame number and see what muther kwak reckon lol
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Just done it and it is a 1990 H2 "1990 ZX400-H2 LIME GREEN / BLUE 24 / PEARL ALPINE WHITE (DZ) "

So one year newer than the seller thought lol
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

lol, was just about to post that yours is an H2,

H1's have a braced swingarm, smaller diameter rear wheel spindle, smaller radiator (same as ZX4) and different fork tops.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

zimm wrote:lol, was just about to post that yours is an H2,

H1's have a braced swingarm, smaller diameter rear wheel spindle, smaller radiator (same as ZX4) and different fork tops.

Damn, that's why that pipe didn't fit :smt010

Bigger wheel Diam' = Marchesinis :smt003
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

Drew San wrote: Damn, that's why that pipe didn't fit :smt010
nope that'll probably be because ZX-4's dont have an oil cooler :) .. and a shallower sump.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

zimm wrote:
Drew San wrote: Damn, that's why that pipe didn't fit :smt010
nope that'll probably be because ZX-4's dont have an oil cooler :) .. and a shallower sump.

Good point - well made !

LOL :smt005
hardballs
My Bike: zxr400l race bike x2

Post by hardballs »

hi there, am new to this site, and think it is a very well set up sight with alot of useful info,
but i cant seem to find what im looking for, i'm trying to find out how to tell the year of a zxr engine, by the engine numbers. i know there is a table of frame numbers on the back of the manual, but cant seem to find a simular table for the engine numbers, any info on this would be very helpful,
thanks Andy.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

Its one of them fast Palmer lads, quick point him in the direction of zxr250 engine numbers :smt006
Im not sure if there is such a list? would be good tho
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Hi andy

see here http://zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=236

this is the only info i know by engine numbers and its a load of crap , its all the same, actuall, i do have some info in the microfiche books. pm me your engine number.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
hardballs
My Bike: zxr400l race bike x2

Post by hardballs »

thanks for the replys guys, i thoudht this info would be easy to get hold of vsad . o well

as for a 250 engine, i really like the sound of that, i hear they rev through the roof. haha
warmington333

Post by warmington333 »

Hi, just checked my bike for the differences. It is a g reg. bike & it has the green spring but not the fully adjustable suspension front or rear and it has two seats rather than the sp rear end, which model would you think this is then?
Cheers Alan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

warmington333 wrote:Hi, just checked my bike for the differences. It is a g reg. bike & it has the green spring but not the fully adjustable suspension front or rear and it has two seats rather than the sp rear end, which model would you think this is then?
Cheers Alan
The problem with H models these days and older L models, as we found out with Lewis' bike, is they tend to be a mash up of parts from different bikes of the same age. Lewis' bike in particular was registerd as an H2 but had the H1 swinger, turned out the frame was H2 and the rest of it H1.

So although it has the green spring, it doesnt necessarily mean its an SP (as was the case with lewis', the shock itself is of course from an SP). The best way to find out is to get the rocker cover off and check the cam ends for slotted ends or bolts on the sprocket side.
Rolo
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Rolo »

Thank you so much for this brilliant info.

I assumed that mine was an H1 as it is G reg but the log book says first registered 1990 (back to the good old days where the reg went from august to august).

I am going to examine the bike carefully now and try to make a definite identification which will help as I need a few bits to bring it up to scratch.
hadra

Post by hadra »

Hey guys, just bought zx4, its a salvage bike but i want to rebuild it. Im not sure what model is that. thought maybe u can help me out here. this is a link to the pics of my model:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... 3%2088.htm

Also i need few parts and finding problem getting it. i need both sides rear pannels (around seat) but cant find anything to my model. However i found some from newer moder ZXR400 1996, but the whole thing is a bit different (smaller seat, divided in two). Would that fit my bike? or its too much work to get it fited?

many thanks guys