Just Bought ZX400 1988 track race bike

A spin off from a previous post by RobB, I have created a forum so we can identify which model ZXR400 you have and to show different variations of colour schemes. Please feel free to post pictures to help others identify their ZXR400's but please keep them to factory std releases.

Moderator: Moderators

ghostrider
My Bike: zx400 1988

Just Bought ZX400 1988 track race bike

Post by ghostrider »

first of all a big hi to all the guys on the forum from scotland just registerd with this great forum and also Just Bought a ZX400 1988 track race bike and will try to get a picture up soon. at the the moment the head gasket is being changed due to over heating problems and getting a full new service and dino update kn filters n stuff but was wondering to buy a a new front end for it maybe a custom one but have no ideas where to buy them from have seen a few standard ones about and was wondering will a newr zxr ferings and panels fit on my zx 88 model sorry guys it maybe a dumb question but am just a beginner :smt001 all your feedback will be well appreated thanx in advance
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Just Bought ZX400 1988 track race bike

Post by RedexRobB »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Anything is possible with fitting stuff from other bikes. I dont veleieve the panels will be a straight swap but with a bit of fiddling its possible to fit anything id say.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Howdy :smt006

Mind and get your your rad' vapour blasted out - 24yrs of sludge in there probably aint helping too ! You can count about 20yrs of its life tap water was used to top it up :smt009

Get a new gasket, remove water pump cover and inspect the impeller - you'll be suprised at how many collapse at that age so another cause for overheating.

Keep it an H , they are getting thin on the ground and are the original " hoover " :smt004

MM! :smt003
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
ghostrider
My Bike: zx400 1988

Post by ghostrider »

Hi guys thanx for replaying and sorry for late replay just been busy with work, after the bike has warmed up the coolant starts to boil and when u rev the bike it bubbles very bad from the overflow, so we stripped the head and the gasket looks plain crispy silver looks like has passed his expiry date dont know if this normal?
and also trying to figgure out what engine model i have got in my bike as in simillar to any other zxr's thanx guys for your help
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Just realised your bike is a '88 making it a ZX-4 (Looks like a GPz1000RX)

Engine doesn't have an oil cooler like the ZXR400H & L but apart from that pretty much the same. Also uses a different pulsar rotor & CDI , these are meant to be non speed restricted as the legislation didn't come in util late 88 start of 89 - got one here to try out but as yet no time to do.

My BEET 440 came off a ZX-4 motor with the ZX-4 F3 cams in it.

Boiling up sounds like the thermostat isn't opening up so check out it's condition, mine had come off it's pin holder and was never going to open ever again !
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly