Rear Disc

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Flatowtornowt
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Rear Disc

Post by Flatowtornowt »

if this does happen then i'll take two
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

im gonna install (as a staff member of a university) a 3-year copy of autocad 2014 tonight, will take some dimensions of my current disk and get some ideas mocked up using the picture on the previous page.

anyone have one of these disks and can tell me the thickness of the steel. - 3mm (found it on earlier page)

as for road use i would hazard a guess that they are NOT road legal, the disk is designed to work with a modified caliper (usually from a scooter) and its likely to be fairly thin...it only has to pass the regulations, you wont use it on track much/ever (as far as i am aware)...

if i get time this weekend, and if i can actually make something in CAD ill upload pics, ill be able to design a lightweight version of the current "round" disk...its making the wavy one that seems interesting/harder...and i am 100% toad with computer things like this, i can always ask my mate at the waterjet place for a hand with the design if necessary, or i can send it to my sister, she uses revit instead of autocad, but should be able to produce something that is usable :D

edit, disk thickness sorted, ill work out the rough angles tonight, now to roughly see what diameter the "holes" are in the disk...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

on my home computer ive got a program called solidworks. a more friendly child of catia which is used in most companys, ill see if i can mock up one aswell, though i dont have the ability to cut them i can give you some ideas banner...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ross46 wrote:on my home computer ive got a program called solidworks. a more friendly child of catia which is used in most companys, ill see if i can mock up one aswell, though i dont have the ability to cut them i can give you some ideas banner...
cheers ross, that would be a big help, and im sure solidworks will be fine.

if anyone else wants to chip in with a design too we should be able to work with that, and you will of course get your disk at cost price (should be low as we will cut loads at a time), sheet steel is pretty cheap.

i will see if i can get some cut from different materials (different carbon content/metal content), if anyone has any ideas let me know and i will pass them onto will.

if any racer wants a prototype to test out let me know, and ill get you one to test - i can test one out on my bike, but thats hardly gonna be a fair test :D

lets see how these designs turn out first...
Last edited by banner001 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Does that make me and you the design team banner? :pmsl
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

indeed it does, as long as the files are 2D images in .dxf or .dwg he can easily cut them.

ive got the basics, i can draw lines, circles and add tangents between circles (to make loops), so ive got everything i need to do a half decent design...in theory :D

however, computers do infuriate me, and i know 0 shortcuts...but i will learn :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

making progress, need to learn how to delete the bits of the drawing i dont want...i think i will have a CAD copy of leon's disk by the weekend...
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Solidworks is 3D, I can do 2D easily, will just have to check the outside & inside diameter, hole distances and friction material size
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

well...ive managed to create this...

if anyone knows of a suitable steel for these rotors, let me know...my mate can make me a mockup, but i dont know if he can get the correct steel for the finished rotors...
Last edited by banner001 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

im on fitting a scooter caliper to my spare bike, i'll happily chuck a disc on and try it although next time im on track will be march. i do use the rear brake a bit mid corner sometimes (those oh s*it moments when i run in too hot mainly) and to settle the rear during heavy braking, reckon they'd be up to that? if so i'll be after one for each bike dependant on price of course
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

alanh wrote:im on fitting a scooter caliper to my spare bike, i'll happily chuck a disc on and try it although next time im on track will be march. i do use the rear brake a bit mid corner sometimes (those oh s*it moments when i run in too hot mainly) and to settle the rear during heavy braking, reckon they'd be up to that? if so i'll be after one for each bike dependant on price of course
i would need a "guinea pig" to try out the rotors to make sure that:-
1. they stop the bike on track (i can test them on my paddock stand with my race bike)
2. they dont warp under normal usage
3. they dont break/fail etc...

as with the ones leon originally made i would be offering 0 guarantees for anything, until its been trialed.

material seems to be either stainless steel or ductile iron. ductile iron would seem the best, but i cant find it in thin 3mm sheets.

stainless steel comes in many varieties, so if anyone has any insights into what to use (for heat dissapation etc...) and its available in sheets, let me know.
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

you can use frey bentos pie lids for mine as i dont use the rear brake :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

i was talking to the guy at the yamaha dealership down the road from me (nice guys...well some of them) anyway they said that you dont necessarily want stainless discs, you can use steel but you sort of want it to rust ever so slightly as apparently if it does the metal is going to have a decent friction co-efficient. i was on the phone to sandy bike spares on thursday, i can call them and ask what material they use and for some insight? Also do you want me to try any different designs? see what i can come up with?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Flatowtornowt wrote:you can use frey bentos pie lids for mine as i dont use the rear brake :smt003
ill get my mate to cut some in stainless steel, gotta be better than mild steel.

if you spin the rear wheel (i.e. on a paddock stand) the rear brake disk will work...will it work on track with everything hot...probably, but it might warp.

im not planning to use my rear that much either. ok, txt message has been sent to my mate for an initial batch of 5 (five) in stainless steel..
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

Don't know where I am on the list but let me know as and when you require any payment