what air filter?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

what air filter?

Post by jake »

what air filter should i use for my racebike?
do most people run k and n's?? my bro's zxr runs with no filter, just a thin mesh...is this ok to do?
ta
jake
richard_ha

Post by richard_ha »

I use a KnN, cant say I noticed any diffrence!
ImageImageImage
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

aye, i just did a search and it seems to be the stock item is as good, if not better?

does anybody know if you can run with no air filter in the f400? or any airbox mod whatsover come to think of it
richard_ha

Post by richard_ha »

Wouldnt recomend no air filter. They are there for a reason.

If you are after true power you'll need a ram air setup which will probably require reace fairings.
ImageImageImage
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

jake,

KnN should be fitted with the snorkel removed from the airbox as it only draws air from the sides not the end.. as such the snorkel obstructs the airflow and the bike will run richer than stock.

with the snorkel removed its better than stock..

remove the snorkel with a stock filter and its all over the place though.

As richard said though, if racing, fit ram-air and get it set up on a dyno, http://www.hcracetech.co.uk/ do a good ramairbox for sensible money, and their bodywork is not only affordable but surprisingly crash proof too.
matilda54
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 L1

Re: what air filter?

Post by matilda54 »

how to remove the snorkel into the air box,please?
i have to cut something?
i just finish to istal with snorkel ,the filter goes little forced,could be coused pèroblems?
txs
Alan P
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Post by Alan P »

Don't bother with a filter, just a coarse mesh over the entrance to the airbox is fine or at the inlet to your ram air trumpet.

A filter is necessary on a road bike as it's used daily in all weathers for lots of miles with rebuilds few and far between.
Deswilkie
My Bike: ZXR400L, Trumpet 675

Post by Deswilkie »

Alan P wrote:Don't bother with a filter, just a coarse mesh over the entrance to the airbox is fine or at the inlet to your ram air trumpet.

A filter is necessary on a road bike as it's used daily in all weathers for lots of miles with rebuilds few and far between.
That's what I've gone with for the past four years and not had an issue. You want fuel and air in to and out of your engine as quick as possible.