GEARING FOR KNOCKHILL & EAST FORTUNE

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

shaggy69
My Bike: ZXR 400 Racebike

Re: GEARING FOR KNOCKHILL & EAST FORTUNE

Post by shaggy69 »

If your running standard suspension then dropping forks so that 8mm of gold is showing past top yoke and then winding the ride height adjuster on top of rear shock right up ( pull out split pin and wind top nut till it's level with top of threaded part, then wind nut underneath up to lock) makes a big difference in handling :)
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Im sure the lap record for knockhill is a high 54 on a formula bike and that was on a very trick honda rvf400 with Craig Mccleland. think it was a 57 on a proddy.
East fortune is a 103 something on a formula 400.
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Yeah 57 was record in 2005 for formula then they widened hairpin n Clark's and it got 1 second faster a circuit for all classes. Craig McClelland and Alex fault were on matching NC35s and went very quick, low 55s maybe quicker. The 1.03 at EF with Liam Lyon was apparently a mistake (if you ask commentators etc) as he never matched it or anything like it lol. Maybe he missed out Hannah's :)
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Interestingly though, in 2000 2001 when 400 class started, Andy Gow, Dougie Knox and Bob Grant (fresh from BSB 600s) were all dicing for championship. Fastest lap was a 61.2 :) in winter between 2005-2006 TTS sold in region of 12 440 kits to Scottish racers, times tumbled that year lol. I chucked it that year, was doing 57s on my FZR at knockhill and 105s at EF. As a newcomer tho lap times shouldn't bother you too much, a lot of them mean nothing as u ain't comparing apples with apples, bike spec plays a big part
Deswilkie
My Bike: ZXR400L, Trumpet 675

Post by Deswilkie »

shaggy69 wrote:bike spec plays a big part
As does rider ability. Chaz, in your first year you'll just be enjoying it for what it is. Your first year of racing. Don't worry about anyone else, just enjoy and work on your laptimes, getting smoother, getting to know the bike, the procedure before you go out, getting the bike through scrutineering etc etc.

Melville club's a friendly one so there'll be plenty of folk to ask in the paddock if you're not sure of something. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'll be at the practice day (along with 150 other riders) on the 23rd so stop by if you're there. Triumph 675 and ZXR 400 both #38; and Robbie I have washed and polished both. One can of polish has lasted me four years and still going strong. :)
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Shaggy. Colin Murray Done a mid 103 at east fortune when me him and John were battling for the championship in 2010 does that mean he has the unofficial lap record then lol! We were mostly doing 104's
55.8 is the fastest I have managed in a race at Knockhill mostly 56's. And I know for certain that Me Colin and John Raeside were on 400cc bikes. There was a certain fzr hybrid out there tho :smt013
Tyres have come on a lot aswell tho.
Chaz as Derek says just enjoy it take it steady and build on it have fun!
Gosh all this talk off racing :smt017
Deswilkie
My Bike: ZXR400L, Trumpet 675

Post by Deswilkie »

Robbie wrote:Gosh all this talk off racing :smt017
Yassss!!!! Get yer licence ordered! Cookstown's coming up. Bush is on for this year!! Just think of Armoy :excited
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Lol guess it does Robbie, need to ask them to change the programme :) but on the subject title of gearing for EF I would say 14/50 is ideal for newcomer. Big john rab 14/50 in the dry sometimes, although usually 14/49 n he was no slouch :) I'm scanning the memory now to think who ran fast FZRs lol....only ones I can think of were DM, TR and the other boy who hurt himself pretty bad. All were full BDK or NM Tuning bikes (same as BDK really) James at BDK was getting 90bhp outta FZR back in 2005, allegedly :) only lasted a meeting between rebuilds tho. You could always tell the 440 bikes, into hairpin right on their pipe then they disappear up the hill, amazing how one '400' could have so much more torque than another lol. Gonna be enticed back out ? Thought you were building a bike tail end of last year...
LiamGrant33
My Bike: 600

Post by LiamGrant33 »

Fastest I did on production was a 57.4
Me and Paul Christie,Murray strathdee were legit… passed the lap record around the whole race.
I had multiple other riders like Colin passing me up the straight when he weighed 3x what I weighed and I was doing 57s 😂😂😂
LiamGrant33

Post by LiamGrant33 »

shaggy69 wrote:
Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am
Lol guess it does Robbie, need to ask them to change the programme :) but on the subject title of gearing for EF I would say 14/50 is ideal for newcomer. Big john rab 14/50 in the dry sometimes, although usually 14/49 n he was no slouch :) I'm scanning the memory now to think who ran fast FZRs lol....only ones I can think of were DM, TR and the other boy who hurt himself pretty bad. All were full BDK or NM Tuning bikes (same as BDK really) James at BDK was getting 90bhp outta FZR back in 2005, allegedly :) only lasted a meeting between rebuilds tho. You could always tell the 440 bikes, into hairpin right on their pipe then they disappear up the hill, amazing how one '400' could have so much more torque than another lol. Gonna be enticed back out ? Thought you were building a bike tail end of last year...
90 ain’t that much, an RRSP Box and balance pipes will see you 87
LiamGrant33

Post by LiamGrant33 »

shaggy69 wrote:
Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 am
Interestingly though, in 2000 2001 when 400 class started, Andy Gow, Dougie Knox and Bob Grant (fresh from BSB 600s) were all dicing for championship. Fastest lap was a 61.2 :) in winter between 2005-2006 TTS sold in region of 12 440 kits to Scottish racers, times tumbled that year lol. I chucked it that year, was doing 57s on my FZR at knockhill and 105s at EF. As a newcomer tho lap times shouldn't bother you too much, a lot of them mean nothing as u ain't comparing apples with apples, bike spec plays a big part
Way off I came back from BSB and was doing 57s easy (production class) 61s are waaaay of, 1:01 and your not even top 10 on a hot day. Even bob who was in the tuned class (400s) may I add was a few seconds faster than that. Even when deej had a shot he was slower on bobs bike than his own MM bike lol