Just want to clear this up

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

Just want to clear this up

Post by ChowderV4 »

When removing the rotor and windings to run total loss, can you keep the starter motor, and do you have to modify anything or just literally remove the rotor and winding and its all done.

Havent managed to find a clear answer, also photos would be great too.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Just want to clear this up

Post by CaNsA »

How are you planning on starting the bike?

If you have a rear wheel spinner thingy they pull the starter motor.
If you dont, then keep it.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Yes you can keep the starter motor if you want, if not you will have to remove it and find a way to block up the hole im guessing, and the windings and rotor can just be removed, though ive heard of people using the zxr250 rotor as it still reduces weight but is enough power for a track bike
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

ok so when people say they are running TOTAL LOSS what do they exactly mean? i thought it was to remove all the charging system ie, windings rotor and the charging part of the loom.
As all the racers i know that are running total loss still have a starter motor.

i want to keep the stater motor as its too much hassle without.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

then just leave it in? it runs off a different circuit, main live off battery through starter motor and too ground. i thought i read somewhere all bikes must be able to start themselves? dont hold me to it. total loss is rip the charging system out (windings and rotor) i was just giving you another option with the zxr250 rotor. aaaaaand thread hijack! how do racers bypass the fuel pump? i know it is somehow linked with the ignition system so how do you bypass it to allow the bike to start? making my own test ignition loom just to get a spark as my fuel pump relay seems to be dead. thanks
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Total loss remove the generator and fly wheel off end of crank then just leave on the starter gear.
why would ya bypass the fuel pump?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Not the fuel pump, the relay controlling it as it seems that my bike isn't sparking as the relay is dead and the black wire that controls the coil seems to pass through it
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

ok ideal so it is just that simple , it wont unbalance the crank etc removing the rotor?

Its just i thought i read somewhere that you couldnt remove the rotor without the starter gear coming out too. but if thats not the case then i'll crack on removing it
biggrin
wes
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by wes »

You can cut out the fuel pump relay and just wire the pump to the live/ground so it switches via the on/off switch.
stevi5
My Bike: many

Post by stevi5 »

Hi mate you need to remove the windings, which are simply bolted to the engine cover then remove the rotor and starter clutch from the end of the crank using a puller. You then need to remove the 3 M8 bolts and drill out the rivets that join the rotor to the starter clutch assembly. Chuck the rotor in the bin and re assemble the unit and use a bit of locktite on the M8 bolts. I can do it for you if you are close to Newbury berkshire :smt002
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

[quote="stevi5"]Hi mate you need to remove the windings, which are simply bolted to the engine cover then remove the rotor and starter clutch from the end of the crank using a puller. You then need to remove the 3 M8 bolts and drill out the rivets that join the rotor to the starter clutch assembly. Chuck the rotor in the bin and re assemble the unit and use a bit of locktite on the M8 bolts. I can do it for you if you are close to Newbury berkshire :smt002[/quote

ok so drill out the rivets on the inside there.

then i'll be left with this and this?
then just bolt the other part back on with loctite?

Just got a bit confused when everyone said its just remove the rotor ad its done , but when i did the starter gears had nothing to hold them in, this makes sense now.
stevi5
My Bike: many

Post by stevi5 »

You got it any probs let me know.

regards steve
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

That's exactly how I've done all 3 of mine, bike seems to rev up quicker without the flywheel. I can get pics of mine if you want to see an assembled one?
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

alanh wrote:That's exactly how I've done all 3 of mine, bike seems to rev up quicker without the flywheel. I can get pics of mine if you want to see an assembled one?
Cheers for the offer but i think ive got it now its all bolted back in and seems all right