ZXR 400 H1 std Rear Shock Length

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cwhite99
My Bike: Triumph 675

ZXR 400 H1 std Rear Shock Length

Post by cwhite99 »

Hi
Can anyone tell me the length (top mounting point centre-line to bottom mounting point centre-line) of the standard rear shock for a ZXR 400 H1 please, as the last owner has fitted a GSXR 1000 shock to this bike and it seems to have a low seat height at present?
If anyone has a standard one lying about the garage I would appreciate a measurement.
Thanks in advance
C
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Re: ZXR 400 H1 std Rear Shock Length

Post by mark400 »

Hi, we fitted a GSXR K7 600cc shock to one of our race bikes and it is actually one inch lower than the other race bike, even though we have used up the maximum amount of thread with spacers to get enough rear ride height. My guess is that the Suzuki shock is about 1 1/4 inch shorter.
I reckon the solution is to grind out the threaded part of the standard shock mount and weld back in a slightly longer threaded section - Either that or a custom made mount. We have the shock resprung and revalved by Maxton and the performance of the shock is really good with lovely even tyre wear, so it has been a far cheaper alternative to the quality stuff, such as WP or Ohlins. We have a genuine ZXR400 WP in the other bike and it doesn't seem better than the Gixxer shock. On the other hand, I'm not Rossi !
The lower rear ride height does need correcting, as the bike is slow to turn in for chicanes, but on the other hand really stable in fast corners like Folly at Castle Combe or Gerards :smt007
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS
fatboy
My Bike: zxr 400 x 3

Post by fatboy »

H1 shock 315 mm from centre of mounting holes. suzuki 1000 K5 shock 330mm . i have two fitted to my H1 bikes and one spare . hope this helps
cwhite99
My Bike: Triumph 675

Post by cwhite99 »

Hi
Thanks for the responses; I have adjusted the top mounting to get the height as near standard as possible and it doesn't seem too bad, might drop the forks 5mm to try and balance it so it turns in at a reasonable speed. Will find out tomorrow at Mallory!
C