MGP first Practice

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonesyiom
My Bike: tomos moped

MGP first Practice

Post by jonesyiom »

Well I fianally rode my ZXR last night :excited - the weather was poor as the was mist hanging it's butt over the mountain so our lap would be flagged off at Parliment Square Ramsey for the travelling marshals to escourt us back to the Grandstand. That set up suited me down to the ground as I needed to run my engine in.

After a smigin of starting issues in the paddock (the kill switch was still on) my team got the bugger started - she was wramed up for a couple of heat cycles - and then I swung me pin over the old girl to see how she'd react - compliant...must have been the Rohypnol I slipped her a little earlier.

Bray hill here we come. As I said I was running in the engine seeing as it had new bores, so no more than 12.5k /13k on the old rev-o-meter. Steady away and thinking of the long game away I went.
Down the hill...hard on the brake for Quarter bridge, swing het right then a short rip up the srtaight and settle her up for Braddan Bridge. Aim for the Red bale or was it White bale then tip it in...aiming, aiming, aiming and Red bale -tip. The Tip was quickly followed my a large scuff as my left shoulder was brushing the signage in the inside corner of the bridge. Next time I might try the Wihite bale :pmsl

After a few of the straights it gfelt that I could do with losing a tooth off the back as I was only going as high as 13k but it felt like it had a tooth too many.
The bike was going great guns, handled well, braked well, the new RMKD fairing was superb, the motor sounded sweet and all was well.

My smiling chops continued as I passing fellow riders and bnow I was on the approach to Ballaugh (pronounced - Bal-aff) Bridge. Passed two bikes down teh right
hand side which would set me nicley up for the Bridge. Balluagh is approached in Top.
Passing Passing, Braking, Braking and change down................Whooooooooooooooooooooo there! We teh feck has me clutch gone? Gone was the answer, simple as that.
No travel and my instant though was snapped cable.
Hang on a sec though...how do I get this bugger stopped with no clutch??
I continued to pull the non-existent clutch lever for a few more wasted moments and then just decided to bring it to a stalling halt. I stalled it to a halt, parked it up, got a cuppa, rolled a ciggie and then had a gander.
Snapped clutch arm was the culprit. Luckily enough I have a spare one so it should just be a case of off with the old and in with the new (well, 16 years old new).
I called the boys and as soon as the road opened they were with me, they consolled me, made me feel better and generaly took the p*ss.

I'll get the arm thingo swapped today and hopefully get two laps on her tonight. I'll probably keep the revs down as I dont want to kill her but all in all things are looking promising.

All the breast
Jonesy #66 lightweight
jonesyiom

MGP lightweight - final

Post by jonesyiom »

It's now been a week since the end of the MGP and it would be rude not to finnish off with a final post on 2012.
To say I've had my fill of bikes this year would be an understatement but I still gotta admit, the 400 is way more of a hoot to hoon around the track on than the 600 :smt001

Monday practice - snapped clutch arm
Tuesday practice - dropped valve
Wedneday - no bike
Thursday morning - borrowed Dave Clarke's ZXR 400
Thursday evening - 1 sighting lap & 1 lap at quicker pace
Friday - 1 wet lap
Wednesday (Race day) Dry tyres, slightly dap track in places
Lap 1: 7th
Lap 2: 2nd
Lap 3: 4th
Lap 4 : 3rd

Great result considdering all that happened and looking forward to next year.
Going to keep the bike that Roger put together as it's deffo the bike to be on when she's on song (Link to pic - http://www.northlinephotography.com/mon ... -08-120105)

Thanks to all who assisted me this year
Roger Middleton - RMKD
Peter Courser
Dave, MJ and Johhny O in the pits
Slick Bass
Cargo - Sprirt on the Manx award winner and reigning Hot pot champion

Cheers
Jonesy
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: MGP first Practice

Post by cargo »

All that on a bike that Clacker said doesn't handle and that hes been complaining about for years.

Well done mate proud of you.....I'd swap that Spirit award for a trip to the podium anyday