S100 first Practice

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonesyiom
My Bike: tomos moped

S100 first Practice

Post by jonesyiom »

Previously…………….. the ZXR was re-dynoed, CV carbs fitted ect ect and all was good to go…….

9 July – S100 1st Practice
Final prep required so the new battery was fitted, seat unit fitted, numbers applied (54), spit and shine the bodywork, fuel her up for practice and ding dang were ready to rock.
The bike flew through scruiteneering and was duly parked up in the corner of the paddock, Job done. Now was just the countdown until my 1st practice on the re-fettled rascal.

However with the element of time now on my side the only issue I had niggling away in the back of my mind was that as I don’t have a starter motor so I needed a paddock starter, which interestingly I also don’t have. However a chap I know was bringing his down, so happy days.
As the minutes ticked on and practice got closer and closer, and the starter had not appeared I was beginning to feel a tad anxious.

So of I popped to see this chap’s friend – “hey up, is your man on his way down?” “He’s in Manchester” was the reply, and it was not the reply I needed.
After a rather large selection of the finest Manx expletives (to myself) I tired to hunt another one down. Could I find one? Not a feckin chance, I would have had more chance finding Noah’s Ark or Glen Miller.

Practice was now due, the bike had not gone through its heat cycles and I was going to have to bump it down the road to the holding area. Not ideal but it was my only choice.
Well, let me tell you that bumping a 21 year old bike that has a cold engine was like trying to bump start a Diesel Tractor up a small hill.
Even though I was paddling away whilst being pushed, I had sweat pouring outa me like Pig in a fleece in a Sauna. The swine would not fire!

A chap eventually located me a starter, one of the roll onto types, not the type that you push against the back wheel.
To cut a long one short, I got the bike started but could not keep it running due to needing to put it back on it’s paddock stand and me stalling it. I’ll have you know that the majority of these issues are created by me. Are they embarrassing? Yes, frustrating? Yes, will I learn? Yes and probably a small touch of No.

So, last night consisted of zero practice on the 400 and just 2 laps on the 600.
I’m hoping for better things tonight as I now have a paddock starter snugley and securely located in the back of my car so I’m optimistic that the old girl will spark into life.
The best time in qualifying last night in the 400 class was a 91.3mph lap; my best last year was a 93mph.

Fingers crossed that I get a good run tonight as I need to qualify for Wednesday night’s race and the two on Thursday and I want to do justice to all the hours of effort that has been put in by Roger by basically making it and by Slick for sorting the carburetion crisis.

Lastly, I now have a further and even shinier set of Flatslides that I need fitting.
I did slide into a conversation with Slick about fitting these bad boys, but he politely told me to 4 and 3 until I had at least ran the CV’s! Fair enough fella.

Over and out
Jonesy
jonesyiom

Re: S100 first Practice

Post by jonesyiom »

2nd practice session
The shorter than short version.
Could not start the bike off the paddock starter and then the clutch seemed not to disengage.
I dropped the clutch out to see if anything untoward was visible, this was after adjusting both the top and bottom adjusters but still nothing obvious was found.
So.....I decided to retire her to the van as I dont want to stick my meddling fingers into areas that I dont understand and will more than likely make things worse.
I'm sure that countless Dyno runs have not helped but the reason why it didn't start up was due to the fuel being turned off...embarrassed is only the start of how I feel.
Tomorrow the bike will be dropped off for fettling in advance of the Manx Grand Prix.

Yours in shame
Jonesy
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Set off for practise lap one evening and the bike stopped and coasted to a halt at Selborne Drive.......................the marshal said "turn the fuel on did we ? "

I nearly told him it had gone bang to hide my shame....................fuel on and continued on my way.........................

Apparently they all stop there LOL
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Sure learnin a lot from your Trials and Tribulations, JonesyIOM

Would hate Cargo coming up to me and asking a hot angry Yvo - 'turned the fuel on have u?'

:pmsl