Finally - ER650 motor going in a ZXR400

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

neil_cb125t

Finally - ER650 motor going in a ZXR400

Post by neil_cb125t »

Heres the progress thus far - This side is the side that had that least amount of frame removed, the right side has alot more removed maybe 20mm more vetically up the main weld. Note the new longer eng mounts at the back, we have strengthened in between these.

Engine work is still being done so these are just bare cases, the head fits pretty much exactly where the old 400 head used to be.
No other mods to the frame were required. We are running the H frame as i had heaps of them and have got a great set of H forks (running alot o ohlins goodies in em)

Rear shock is custom ohlins shock, running the L model Swing arm. I have Dymag Carbon rimmed magnesium hubbed rims for it which should help :-0

The frame was painted so we can see any stress points on the frame, paint starts flexing or crackin, we can strengthen it there..... reckon well be fine thou.

Aim is to take on heavily modded Svs and sxv550 bikes running tigcraft and Rs125 frames.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Finally - ER650 motor going in a ZXR400

Post by cargo »

Interesting stuff................I really wanted to do this but rules for the Manx GP will change from 2013 and the standard frame will have to be used for the twins race so i kind of gave up on it.

I know one guy who made a bolt on cradle for the ER engine to fit it in a Honda 400 frame................he could swap back to his Honda engine with realitive ease.

Please do keep this thread going with your progress.
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

cargo wrote:Interesting stuff................I really wanted to do this but rules for the Manx GP will change from 2013 and the standard frame will have to be used for the twins race so i kind of gave up on it.
Cargo - is that true for the Supertwins also
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

To the best of my knowledge Dave the 650 twins race at MGP 2013 must run with stock frames

Mind you given all the other news regarding the MGP it wont matter cos you and I won't get an entry......................paid professionals only if the Manx government get their way................hope you've signed the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/isle-of ... age_mobile
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

cargo wrote:To the best of my knowledge Dave the 650 twins race at MGP 2013 must run with stock frames

Mind you given all the other news regarding the MGP it wont matter cos you and I won't get an entry......................paid professionals only if the Manx government get their way................hope you've signed the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/isle-of ... age_mobile
yep signed - and so has all family and friends. Unbelievable that the Manx Authorities think that the MGP will appeal to paid professionals when the TT does that and arguably has the "brand" for that. The MGP works entirely because it has a broader appeal. We may have to investigate the meaning of the word "professional". I will pay you if you pay me :smt003 - sorted
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
neil_cb125t

Post by neil_cb125t »

Well here she is.... :excited

pics and some you tube goodness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-1TtE5OqE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBBjQ-GAtE

We are yet to weight it, but it seems pretty light, we have dropped 8kg off the front axle and 5 off the rear of teh bike since it was a ZXR444, according to the bathroom scales. The rims were the largest improvement with a shoria batt and new smaller subframes helping

Engine has had pretty much the works done, we are retaining the std Airbox and filter as per our rules here in NZ, but we still managed over 87HP at the back wheel :smt003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Very vry nice. Love it. Any build pictures anywhere?
Shane Wogan
My Bike: hayabusa turbo

Post by Shane Wogan »

hi yz doing guys, i thought you might want to see this. I entered it ito the manx in 2012 with wayne kirwan riding it. it was the fastist er through the speed traps in practice at 148.5 mph. wayne should of won or at least came 2nd onlt the lithium ion battery we had in it decided to give up working. it had a stage 1 wogan performance tunned engine in it producing 91 hp at the time of the manx. ive done a couple of circuts on the bike and its brilliant fun.
Shane Wogan

Post by Shane Wogan »

forgot to add, i am selling the bike to any sensible offers, i also have fitting kits to to fit the engine in any zxr 400 chassis with out weld or cutting. ive made up 8mm aluminium plates for the the rear of frame and supply the spacers, bolts and fuel pump and all the bits and pieces to get yours running. ive spent alot of time in getting the engine positioned in the propper place in the chassis so as the weight is properly distributed and that the oil pick up still works as was in the er chassis and to leave it easy to return to a zxr 400 engine if you want. its very easy to to do converversion.
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

@Shane. What would be the point of putting the 650 engine into a 400 frame? What classes would it be able to compete in?
Shane Wogan

Post by Shane Wogan »

well i built it for the manx grand prix last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also i can run it in the junior support class on the irish roads and im allowed to ride it in the isb super twins class.... it does make sence to be honist. the homiligated er650 is a hunk of hog iron that doesnt handle, as slow as a wet day and weighs more than a super bike with less than half the power.. plus to build an homoligated supertwin is just stupid money. its a great little bike and heck its fast and handles great.
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

the homiligated er650 is a hunk of hog iron that doesnt handle
they handle well with a decent shock and front end.
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Shane Wogan wrote:well i built it for the manx grand prix last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also i can run it in the junior support class on the irish roads and im allowed to ride it in the isb super twins class..
But for this class....
Frame and swing arm must remain as originally produced by the manufacturer for the homologated machine.

@ Shane - I know the issues here and wish you every success and good luck

:smt002
neil_cb125t

Post by neil_cb125t »

Fantastic looking machine!! We are limited to run the Std Airbox and filter... VERY GAY so loose out on some top end power. Thus far its proven very successful, club leveled events we are hammering the competition, and are sitting about 1.0 sec/1.5 off Nation level top fellas on our first outings.

Im going to PM you of course feel free to ask us how it is we have done ours.

Side note we are sitting at 160kg wet, the ER motor is quite heavy compared to the ZXR400 motor.... so now we need to chop some weight out