ZX6r rear wheel

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

ZX6r rear wheel

Post by AFM327 »

Had one fit up for the race bike. Tried it out this weekend and loved it. I ran a Pirelli DOT in an SC1 180/55. No more chicken strips from pinching the 160 on the 4.5 in wheel. More choices in tires or tyres. :) I have to pull it off and weigh it but when I first picked it up it felt lighter than the 160 with the stock ZXR400 wheel/rotor. The diameter difference was pretty small, about 8mm. I didn't' even take a full turn of the ride height adjustment on the shock. Bike felt great with the soft rear. Still looked good after two practice sessions and three races. I'm using an H2 link, tried running a soft a couple years ago with the L link and tore the tire horribly in one practice session. I've got an NWS link I'm going to try at the next track day as well.

I'll try to get photos this week to post up.
Last edited by AFM327 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick41zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400sp

Re: ZX6r rear wheel

Post by mick41zxr »

AFM,
Have been doing the same, but running the Metzler racetecs in K2 compound on the rear, getting two to three race meets out of them. You can do the same with the front for a bit of a weight saving.
Regards,
MB
lucky77
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by lucky77 »

AFM, would be well interested to see the pics of this, I want to do the same. what year zx6r wheels did you get and is it just the H2 link you are using on an L model bike....is everything else ok or are there more bits to swap??
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Both front and rear wheels are from an 05 ZX6r, I have the forks/brakes/wheel from the ZX6r in the stock triples. I did get my new gullwing top triple this weekend too that matches up with the longer forks, photos to come soon. The rear wheel required new spacers on either side and spacers on the rotor as the 600 rotor sits farther inside the wheel.
Mick, is the K2 the soft or the K0? Pirelli's are Sc1, soft, SC2 med, SC3 hard. I've always run the SC2 front and rear in the past, now I'll probably be running the soft rear except for one track that is really abrasive.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Here's a few pics taken in the trailer this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Post by Max4music »

Looks really sweet. You've done a cracking job there mate. Ive toyed many times with the idea of running a 180 rear and was going to fit an older model zx6r wheel but this looks much better and lighter. I take it you have just lifted both wheels and front forks/brakes from the 05 model and dropped the in? I can see the rear brake etc need some tinkering but do the 05 forks simply drop into stock L model yokes?
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

I believe that the forks/brakes/wheel from 03- to the current models will slide right into the stock triples. You can swap bearings on the 600 triples and play with their different offset too, they have more trail. The stock triple offset still works best for me. 03/04 use a smaller rotor 280mm I think, 05 to current are all the same diameter. The rear was pretty straight forward, making new spacers and spacing out the rotor. We also put a little bend in the brake torque arm to make sure there was plenty of clearance.
marti
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by marti »

Will this wheel fit the H model?
Thanks
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

I don't know as I have an L model. If you measure the distance inside of the swingarm and figure out how much room you have between the tire and the center of the swingarm we can probably figure it out.
lucky77
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by lucky77 »

hi mate, was it slower tipping in with the 180 section did you notice?

Also, whats the difference between the H and L link do you know?? If the L link rips the 180's apart and the H doesnt there must be quite a big change between them?
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

It was a bit slower tipping in at first, but only a bit, I took a half a turn of ride height out of the shock and it was back to normal. I put the H2 link on last year. It immediately felt better on bumpy tracks, there isn't a huge difference but it's enough to make a difference. The link is more linear, not as progressive, so I was getting more movement in the rear as the 450lb spring was always slightly heavier than I needed. When I tried the soft rear before it was a 160 with the L link. But it tore badly immediately and we couldn't adjust for it. The SC2 didn't have that problem, especially with the H2 link. The 180 and 160 had similar compounds so don't think that the 180 will tear less easily just because it is larger.
Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

AFM327 wrote:I believe that the forks/brakes/wheel from 03- to the current models will slide right into the stock triples. You can swap bearings on the 600 triples and play with their different offset too, they have more trail. The stock triple offset still works best for me. 03/04 use a smaller rotor 280mm I think, 05 to current are all the same diameter. The rear was pretty straight forward, making new spacers and spacing out the rotor. We also put a little bend in the brake torque arm to make sure there was plenty of clearance.
So if I wanted '05 zx6r wheels on the zx4r, just gotta tinker with the spacers?
wes
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by wes »

I have the same ZX6 wheel ready to fit, do you know the dimension of the spacers?

I was going to keep the smaller (original) rear with wets, so hope it can be readily changed from ZX6 to ZXR wheel by only changing the disk side spacer.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

I don't know the dimensions, next time I swap tires I'll measure them. I've got a race in two weeks. It shouldn't be a problem swapping back to the stock wheel for wets. My only thought would be that you would have to make ride height changes for the different tires. The difference in diameter between the Pirelli 160/60 and the 180/55 isn't that big. Other brands of tires may have considerable differences. It works well for me as I also have an R6 I use for teaching at track days. Since the bikes use the same tire I can swap them or use race take offs for teaching.
Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

So '05 wheels and discs and '03 forks with some spacer modding?