Alternative / Lighter wheels

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

noelb
My Bike: ZXR4H , H'Berg , BMW R12S

Re: Alternative / Lighter wheels

Post by noelb »

I know but I had them bought long before there were any published rules for the SS400s. The two championship winners (southern) before young Steven had obvious mods that were outside the rules. I'm not complaining at all - all the 400s are getting on a bit, mine is 23 years old and I'm not going to be winning any races any time soon either. As usual, our championship down south is all messed up, with the tuning I've done myself, my old 400 isn't even fully meeting the rules for pre-injection! I reckon the clubs will be glad of the entrys and I'd race without the points anyway, I enjoy the building and messing as much as the racing sometimes.

Theres loads from endurance bikes that make a clubmans race day easier - puzzles me why anyone would tolerate wheel spacers and chain adjuster blocks falling out repeatedly without at least trying to sort it? I mus put up a pic of my front stand when I get a chance, same time and labour saving principle

For the nordies - I'm not the fast Noel B - I'm the slow southern one :smt001 but I've met both of you at differnet times!

Noel B.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I've be constantly confused by which noelB is which

For a long number of years there were NO rules for SS400 here................no one bothered to write any.......................

Remember when young Ollie Linsdal won the NW200 400 race and someone stuck a protest in ......................the stewards suddenly realised they had no rules

Off they cuff and after the event they decided to use the 400 rules same as MGP.............................
The rules as they are now do not allow any rebores........................must be a 400........................lots and lots over overbored 400s out there.

I'm riding in pre inj this Saturday on my 400 theres 3 of us aon 400s should be fun

How did you fit the ledges...............looks easy enough to make
noelb

Post by noelb »

Chain side is an standard (ITEM manuf - Al profile system like industrial meccano) angle profile, 2 m5 CSKs on side and bottom. The brake side is screwed to the custom caliper mount. Captive spacer the sprocket side is a piece of p*ss, the other side is just a shoulder that the seal retains. Same up front and well worth doing.
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Ahh just having a bit of fun man. lol

Only into the 400's this year and they seem to be a black art compared to the simple twin, but I do like a challange...

The PIA bit is the difference between the H and L models and getting the right bits (mines a H)

Are the cush drives diff in the 2 models? I bought a supposedly H one from Fleabay and it was way too small compared to the one I'm using .... it was as close as a slipper is to a wellington boot!

@NoelB when are you racing again - I'd be interested in seeing the mods you've done.

I dont have that much of a prob changing the wheels except for the weight of them........ lol
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

you must be running a h1 back wheel, the h2 and L has the same cush. Sort yaself out a h2 swingarm, the are much lighter, and the rear wheel is a touch lighter. Ive got a H2 frame and swingarm you can have free.... if you collect it.
Im sure the acu book still states in formula rules not being able to change exhaust systems etc... its a load of bolox.
Im 'almost' certain all the 400's can have a +1mm piston increase within the rules at mgp, aswell as most of the clubs in England at least..
I still think they should allow the hondas the full +3mm piston increase to make them more competative on short circuits. I mean the rvf/vfr as there is a few quick cbrs.
noelb

Post by noelb »

It'll be the first masters round I'd say - give me a shout and I'll show you anything you want. The H1 carrier is much bigger alright - I have one going begging if you need it? I have 4 wheels (one is a ZZR6 front) as well if you have any interest? I'll probably be at the Mondello round on April 1st. I went through the H vs L parts thing too - PITA. They have better front calipers but smaller disks and are a good bit heavier I believe. Well thought of from a handling point of view. Seamus Greene started out on the roads on one and often sang its praises. Front fairings can be made to fit with few problems. I have a H seat unit but I can think who I got it off. John Donnan used to get them from someone in England. Mine is well past its prime now but the L model ones never look right IMHO.

You'll love the 400s - very friendly class, for the few rounds we'll get this year confuddled . Had you not an Aprillia before? If so you'll fit right in! LEss maintenance though.....
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

jake wrote:you must be running a h1 back wheel, the h2 and L has the same cush. Sort yaself out a h2 swingarm, the are much lighter, and the rear wheel is a touch lighter. Ive got a H2 frame and swingarm you can have free.... if you collect it.
Im sure the acu book still states in formula rules not being able to change exhaust systems etc... its a load of bolox.
Im 'almost' certain all the 400's can have a +1mm piston increase within the rules at mgp, aswell as most of the clubs in England at least..
I still think they should allow the hondas the full +3mm piston increase to make them more competative on short circuits. I mean the rvf/vfr as there is a few quick cbrs.

Rules for the MGP allow only the manufacturers max oversize in the case of ZXRs thats +0.5

Not sure about others think Yamaha is +3.0

Here in daft old Norn Iron they forgot to have rules then...................they adopted the MGP rules for 400s but now the latest rules say it must be a 400...................................
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

noelb wrote:It'll be the first masters round I'd say - give me a shout and I'll show you anything you want. The H1 carrier is much bigger alright - I have one going begging if you need it? I have 4 wheels (one is a ZZR6 front) as well if you have any interest? I'll probably be at the Mondello round on April 1st. I went through the H vs L parts thing too - PITA. They have better front calipers but smaller disks and are a good bit heavier I believe. Well thought of from a handling point of view. Seamus Greene started out on the roads on one and often sang its praises. Front fairings can be made to fit with few problems. I have a H seat unit but I can think who I got it off. John Donnan used to get them from someone in England. Mine is well past its prime now but the L model ones never look right IMHO.

You'll love the 400s - very friendly class, for the few rounds we'll get this year confuddled . Had you not an Aprillia before? If so you'll fit right in! LEss maintenance though.....
Cheers man, I have a yarn with you if ur up North for any of the Easter meetings. No Aprillia - I raced a black SV (the guy that helps me out had one tho)
I have a spare carrier just was looking for a set of rubbers but its no prob swopping them over.
zxr400l3

Post by zxr400l3 »

jake wrote:you must be running a h1 back wheel, the h2 and L has the same cush. Sort yaself out a h2 swingarm, the are much lighter, and the rear wheel is a touch lighter. Ive got a H2 frame and swingarm you can have free.... if you collect it.
is the H2 swingarm lighter than the L swingarm, can you weight it, i have L swingarms i will weight soon, and we can see the difference ...
hoddie
My Bike: In between bikes

Post by hoddie »

So, to fit '03 zx6r bst wheels, i need zx12 wavy discs for the front and need to adjust rear bearings and spacers?
Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

mick41zxr wrote:Didn't weigh them by they are significantly lighter more so with the rear, running a 180 on the rear now which feels to have a lot more edge grip. Running the 160 on the 4.5" pulled the tyre around the rim & reduces the contact patch. Also rear tyres last a fair bit longer. The 400 sprocket carrier is a straight fit, need to change wheel bearings over to 20mm axle & machine new centre spacer & a spacer to offset the disc as ZX6 runs inside the rim line. Fronts are the same however I converted my forks to a 25mm axle.
Regards,
MB
Could you possibly show me some pics?
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

simon_ed
My Bike: 2 x ZXR400 Race Bikes

Post by simon_ed »

ive got a 5 inch wide marchesini on my ZXR, think its off a TZ250 or RS250 not sure, it weighs 3.5kgs lighter than a standard wheel

Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

Decided to just put the '05 wheels in. What are the exact measurements of the centre spacers for the wheel s(my neighbour can machine them if I give him all the dimensions)? Also, to fit Wavy zx12 discs to the front, what are the spacer sizes for offsetting the discs? What size are the bearings-can I take them off another bike? For the rear, what disc can I use? Do I need to offset the disc at all?

Thanks guys!
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Big Hoddie wrote:Decided to just put the '05 wheels in. What are the exact measurements of the centre spacers for the wheel s(my neighbour can machine them if I give him all the dimensions)? Also, to fit Wavy zx12 discs to the front, what are the spacer sizes for offsetting the discs? What size are the bearings-can I take them off another bike? For the rear, what disc can I use? Do I need to offset the disc at all?

Thanks guys!
I think you need to do what the rest of us did. Figure it out yourself. It sounds like you have something different than everyone else, we can't tell you the exact sizes for spacers unless you have the exact same set up.