RAM AIR FILTER?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kirky Boy
My Bike: L4 ZXR400 RACER

RAM AIR FILTER?

Post by Kirky Boy »

Just wondering is there any filters any where in a ram air box. Does the air flow freely through to the carbs and into the engine? Has there ever been a case where flying debris has got where it shouldn't have? :smt012
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: RAM AIR FILTER?

Post by cargo »

just in from work..............

Yes
Yes
Yes
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

Thereis no need for an air filter but if you were worried you could put a course mesh at the air entry to the box. I did that for the box when I had the air intake just above the radiator on the basis that there is loads of crud flying about there but for an air intake at the front of the fairing that probably isnt needed.
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Up now and ready to go out again

I've never seen a ram air box that has the facility to include an airfilter in the normal sense of the word as davw says all I've seen is a wire mesh that keeps out the big lumps and thats what is on my bikes.

After a road race there is always a collection of dust grit flies wasps bees and other junk in the airbox. I once found a duzs fastener in my airbox ! ! ! ! No doubt some of that detritus has found it's way into the engine and out the exhaust

Never actually had something cause a problem in there myself but I know of folks who have.
Alan P
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Post by Alan P »

I use a coarse wire gauze at the entrance to the airbox itself and then I put a smear of grease over the upper lid of the airbox to catch dust. I always clean the airbox out after each meeting (or after the first days racing if it's been raining) and you'd be surprised how much that smear of grease catches....
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

Alan P wrote:I use a coarse wire gauze at the entrance to the airbox itself and then I put a smear of grease over the upper lid of the airbox to catch dust. I always clean the airbox out after each meeting (or after the first days racing if it's been raining) and you'd be surprised how much that smear of grease catches....
great idea - thanks for that
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
Kirky Boy
My Bike: L4 ZXR400 RACER

Post by Kirky Boy »

Great ideas guys, thanks for your help. :smt001
Willz
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Willz »

Hi, was just wandering what size gauze is best so as not to restrict air flow?

cheers