just wanted to introduce myself

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

clarkiefez
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

just wanted to introduce myself

Post by clarkiefez »

Hi im johnathan im from nottingham. i just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and my bike to you all on here as im new to this forum and new to the bike world. Ive been looking for a bike now for a while ive looked at afew zxr400s and finally decided to buy one, so ive just bought myself a 1993 kawasaki zxr400 as a project 26,000 miles from new and its been stood for 3years. since ive purchased her ive put a new battery on shes had an oil and filter change and spark plugs. While fitting these ive noticed my bike is fitted with dyno coil coil packs on her, not too sure if its a modification or not but from what i can see there not standard. She also has a micron (i think) exhaust downpipes with a pipeworx silencer. Ive had bikes previously but they have all been field bikes and this is my first road bike and i love it
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: just wanted to introduce myself

Post by masterofinsanity »

welcome to the forum, good start with a new battery and plugs! lets have some pics!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Treat it to a new fuel filter & air filter too , good idea to check your swing arm and suspension bearings if stood for 3yrs - the grease might have dried out on them, wheels are sealed units though.

At 26K it would have been due a major service - you've covered some of it but all fluids should be changed just with sitting so coolant & brake fluid too.

Valve clearances should be checked and carb's balanced.

Giving the callipers a good clean - remove pads and pump pistons out slightly and scrub would be beneficial too

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
clarkiefez

Post by clarkiefez »

clarkiefez

Post by clarkiefez »

clarkiefez

Post by clarkiefez »

Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Re: just wanted to introduce myselfoo

Post by Smousley1995 »

Cooorrhhhhh that looks nice! I love the paint and stickers on that!

If it's been sitting that long the fuel in the carbs may have gone gummy. I'd clean the carbs and change the fuel filter and also empty the old fuel out your tank and put clean fresh fuel in.
Unless you've already started it and it runs fine then it's probably not needed :smt001
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

I'll post up a photo of a jar full of 2yr old fuel I removed from the M1

The bike ran on it but the smell was making me ill - glad I syphoned it out as you wont believe how it looks never mind smells shocking Worst of all I have about 6 litres of the toad ! :smt010 Was keeping it to clean stuff with but after opening up the container and smelling it again that aint going to happen :smt009 It's only good for a bonfire now winks

When I put in a fresh tank it was far happier and way better hooning it :smt003
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
clarkiefez

Post by clarkiefez »

Hi thanks for the comments on my bike the carbs have been cleaned and old fuel emptied and fresh fuel in and abit of fuel treatment im slowly going through the bike and have found some dodgy wiring so i have just bought myself an unmolested wiring loom which im checking over and re tapeing before fitting and i have a slight problem of it losing its spark which i am going to put down as cdi unit coil pick up or the wiring so should be ok hopefully after that
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Mori Man wrote:I'll post up a photo of a jar full of 2yr old fuel I removed from the M1

The bike ran on it but the smell was making me ill - glad I syphoned it out as you wont believe how it looks never mind smells shocking Worst of all I have about 6 litres of the toad ! :smt010 Was keeping it to clean stuff with but after opening up the container and smelling it again that aint going to happen :smt009 It's only good for a bonfire now winks

When I put in a fresh tank it was far happier and way better hooning it :smt003
How about this, tank was full of fuel resin, heard a crack when removing the fuel tap, was this crap breaking loose.
petrol resin 2r.JPG
I assume someone had maybe added a fuel stabiliser shocking rather than drain the fuel system, took days to remove it.
When anyone suggests not draining the fuel for storage, and adding a stabiliser, find a large stick and chase them down the street with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Smousley1995

Post by Smousley1995 »

Wow :pmsl
Smousley1995

Post by Smousley1995 »

I'm afraid that's all I could say after seeing that!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

clarkiefez wrote:Image
now why did i click on that pic? intrigued by the triumph but even more intrigued by the MERC! sweeeet!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
clarkiefez

Post by clarkiefez »

masterofinsanity wrote:
clarkiefez wrote:Image
now why did i click on that pic? intrigued by the triumph but even more intrigued by the MERC! sweeeet!

Thanks the triumph is my brothers new project was you on about the black merc or the red one the black 1 was my most recent one