Hello

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Re: Hello

Post by Vaughn »

Ok buddy will do.

I dropped the aprilia earlier, coming off a roundabout and was heading to the curb, couldn't get it to turn enough and clipped the curb bringing me upright and over the other side lol.
Lucky there was a paramedic behind me who seen everything and stopped, police turned up and I got breathalised.
I was only doing about 10mph when it happened so was lucky,
The only damage seems to be a broken gear shifter and a big dent in my ego lol

Oh well lesson learned, glad it was the aprilia not my zxr

I'll ring you about 7
Cheers
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:Yeah, been through most of that, give me a call tonight as long as its before 9
Hey bud, any luck sending that stuff over??

After I got off the phone to you I cleaned up the top of my thermistor and my temperature gauge has worked ever since.

Cheers for the advice the other night as well, much appreciated.

Took the bike to a garage to do my chain as I couldn't be arsed lol
Turns out the back wheel nut thread has been stripped and the bit won't tighten so got one on order. The mechanic shortened my chain and adjusted my back wheel and didn't charge me so glad I went there now, would have been a nightmare doing it at home

I ordered up some brackets for my mirrors, was expecting this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373308195.252145.jpg
Got the package today and it was huge, turns out they sent 4x chrome mirrors with long chrome stalks, don't know how they got that wrong, plonkers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Right then so last week I finally passed my theory after failing the hazard perception 5 times.
Had my first day of training today, 2nd day tomorrow then Wednesday morning training and mod1 in the afternoon.
Been riding around on a gsx750, did 40 miles on that and 20 miles on a 500 in the morning, everything went really well, had no trouble with manoeuvres and slow riding. We even practiced the high speed turn and tbh I thought that was a piece of cake, my friends tell me that's the hardest part but I'll be the judge of that.

Glad I bought that little 125 she has taught me a lot.
My 400 seems to have a misfire when it's cold, i think it may be where its been sat, so I might go strip the carbs down and give them a cleanup and see if I can see anything else that requires attention while I'm at it, try get this beast ready for the next couple of weeks.
I'll be back tomorrow with a report from day 2 of training
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Had my mod1 today, passed with 1 minor happy days. I went through the speed trap 2 mph under speed on the high speed avoidance manoeuvre. Apart from that he was happy with everything else.

Got my mod 2 booked for next Thursday.
My dream is finally becoming reality
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

well done, and best of luck on the mod2! :smt001
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

RedexRobB wrote:well done, and best of luck on the mod2! :smt001
Thanks bud, I really can't wait so excited, just wish the test was sooner.

Oh well gives me just under a week to sort the misfire on the 400
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Good luck man!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:Good luck man!
Cheers mate, that little rs 125 is still going on strong.
Well happy with it, done nearly 800 kilometres on her with no problems at all.
She just needed a bit of sorting out, new oil and plug, cleaned air filter, carb and power valve and she runs sweet as a nut. The rubber inlet manifold was quite perished so a shed load of silicone sealant covering the surface seems to have sealed it up a treat.
The only trouble is getting the fueling right it's a delicate balance between being too rich and too lean on the pilot, been adjusting a fraction at a time and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere handy now. I can't do any plug chops or anything either because the clutch is dragging so I'm just gonna leave it pretty much as it is for now.

As soon as the 400 is on the road and I'm confident I've sorted the misfire and no longer need the 125, I will take it off the road and strip it down to the frame and rebuild it to it's former glory and chuck on a 34mm flatslide carb and vforce reeds. I want to do an engine rebuild on her first though.
Should be a nice little project and I'm hoping to learn a lot along the way, got myself a Haynes manual so bring on the rebuild.

Possibly take the 400 off the road while I'm running in the 125 and do a rebuild on the 400, we will have to see how I get on with the 125 first though lol, the 125 is nothing but a training bike for me, and what training she has given me so far, without her I don't think I would have passed my mod1 with only 1 minor, that was only for going through the speed trap too slow the first time on the high speed avoidance.
She has taught me so much, still got a lot to learn though. Bring it on
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

That's what im doing with my rs125, at the polishing and painting stage now, and you will learn alot more on the 400, trust me! Only been 11 months and ive learnt so much more than the rs, comparitively you have to lean right of it
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:That's what im doing with my rs125, at the polishing and painting stage now, and you will learn alot more on the 400, trust me! Only been 11 months and ive learnt so much more than the rs, comparitively you have to lean right of it
Are you rebuilding it to sell or are you keeping it?? Any pictures??

Yeah I can imagine, that little 125 doesn't like cornering like the gsx750 I was riding, that thing hacks round corners whereas the rs feels like its telling me no you cant do it. it definitely taught me about balance though especially when moving slow.

Can't wait to strip her down.
What have you done with the rs frame?? I don't know whether to polish it or powder coat.
Found a good sprayer as well, he did my mates car really cheap and made a top job of it so ill definitely be using him in the future
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Polishing, im polishing the frame and respraying all the fairings gloss black and I got a full decal kit, so its all going to look completely new and standard, the fuelling is an butt to get right though, if you need any help or anything just call or text me, and I sent that manual but I guess it must have got lost but i have it all on my computer, if your going to be doing engine internals go to pjm website, they sell all the bits and not too expensive
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:Polishing, im polishing the frame and respraying all the fairings gloss black and I got a full decal kit, so its all going to look completely new and standard, the fuelling is an butt to get right though, if you need any help or anything just call or text me, and I sent that manual but I guess it must have got lost but i have it all on my computer, if your going to be doing engine internals go to pjm website, they sell all the bits and not too expensive
That's gonna look sweet. Same sort of thing I want to do with mine, nothing fancy just keep it original.
Yeah cheers buddy will do, think I saved your number on my phone, you were a great help last time I spoke to you, that little 125 runs sweet as a nut now after doing the things you said.

Yeah I've been using pjme they are top notch, got my eye on the 34mm flatslide and vforce reeds that they stock, from what I've read those 2 mods are all you need as they smooth all the power out, just what mine needs it's crap pulling off lol.

No the manual didn't turn up but I have a Haynes manual now for the aprilia so it's ok, found a good PDF downloadable manual for the 400 as well if your interested h and l models
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Is it the same as the one on here or different? And yeah it will be good when its done
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Yeah it's exactly the same from what I can see only difference is you can download the whole manual as a 198 page PDF
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Ah ok, post the link?