Hello

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Hello

Post by ross46 »

New cable makes the clutch feel lovely and light, ask banner, he tried mine and was a little shocked I think, cables not only get gummed up, they also will sometimes fray, causing it to catch inside, never stripped one out though, might try
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

it makes a world of difference :D

silky smooth, no grabbing or "notchy-ness".
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Absolutely love mine, only problem is that the bracket down by the cam tensioner is bent so my new cable is at the limit of adjustment, need to get one when I get some money
Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

Cradleys don't do the clutch cable anymore it seems, found one on wemoto though, only a tenner as well

Worked out about £100 for 6 friction, 5 steel and 4 springs on cradleys
Not bad really I guess
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Got 49 out of 50 for the theory but FAILED my hazard perception
Can't believe it I've practiced so hard, failed 3 out of 20 on my computer at home and had good marks on all the passes
Got 35 today and the pass mark is 44 out of 75, don't think I've done that bad at home :-(

I just don't understand it, I don't think I'll be able to better that everything seemed to be going so well
I was clicking 3 times per hazard and by the end I was confident I had done well
So gutted
Got my next one booked for 16 July, nearly another month away :-( takes the piss

Feel like taking the bike out for a thrash now, might have to get my mate to take me out on it.
No actually I'm going to the pub
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Things are coming together again, booked another theory and got one for 16th July :-( ages
Then got on to the riding school and got my cbt booked for Wednesday :-)
Woke up this morning and checked the theory website and managed to get a cancelation for next Saturday :-)
Hopefully by the end of next week I'll be ready to start my training :-)
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Post by Leey »

Hey bad luck with the hazard perception test I failed mine 2 times in a row :smt009 on the bike but past it first time with the car theory test.
Funny thing was I took the car theory test first then a week later did the bike theory test and failed. :smt017
In the end I played dumb and only clicked when I could clearly see the hazard, where before I could see the hazard appearing but reacting a bit early and clicking to soon.
sucks really.

Good luck with your tests
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Right so a quick update

I failed my hazard perception again on Saturday but on the plus side I did my cbt on Wednesday last week so for a little pick me up I went out today and bought a little rs 125
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372711084.956233.jpg
It's a bit of a scrapper and needs a couple of things doing to it but not bad for £550 with tax and mot till the end of the year, hopefully won't be needing it that long.
The engine seems to be sound but it has a few electrical problems. Spent a bit of time today sorting out the lights and got them working, got to sort out the left rear indicator tomorrow and the forks need new seals. Apart from that I think she's good to go.
Rode her home about 2 miles and she went quite well, it doesn't like pulling off need to give it some beans but I'll get the hang of it.
Let the good times roll
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

NOOOOOO! not an rs125 :smt010 I have one in my garden im doing up, after it seized the crank and hence the rear wheel at 100mph and spat a gudgeon pin out. So 2 rebuilds in 6 months, I hate it, only good thing is that I can sell it for alot once its done. You should have got a cheap cg125 for £200 quid and then you could have done your test on it. On the plus side, I do have some fork seals for it?
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:NOOOOOO! not an rs125 :smt010 I have one in my garden im doing up, after it seized the crank and hence the rear wheel at 100mph and spat a gudgeon pin out. So 2 rebuilds in 6 months, I hate it, only good thing is that I can sell it for alot once its done. You should have got a cheap cg125 for £200 quid and then you could have done your test on it. On the plus side, I do have some fork seals for it?
Cor 100mph, you survived to tell the tale then that's good, not injured either I hope :-)
Yeah I bought the bike with the intention of taking it apart when my zxr is on the road.
Not sure whether to fix it up clean it and sell or just use it as a doner for something else, don't know really.
Would you be willing to sell the fork seals??
I have bought a tool that scrapes the dirt out from the seals so will give that a try first but I suspect the forks probably need refilling with oil as well.
I was thinking about paying somebody else to do it for me but it doesn't look like too bad a job, I just need to find a way to lift the front wheel off the ground without having to buy a jack, maybe trusty old bricks and a rear paddock stand and some safety ropes to keep it upright

I spent the last couple of weeks looking at bikes on the internet and there hasn't really been much about in my price range
Been loads of bikes with things wrong but nothing I could just jump on and ride.
Think I got quite a good deal really, cost me £60 to add it to my insurance policy as well
Should be good practice for riding a more powerful sports bike anyway.
It's crap pulling off though, need to give it loads of beans and keep slipping the clutch.
Gonna have to take the spark plug out and have a look cos I have a choice of 5 to choose from according to the Internet and eBay. Even the manual names 2 different plugs lol
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Yeah I'll sell you the fork seals, I'll pm you my number, give me a call tonight and we can have a chat, I learnt alot about the rs when I was riding it, even though I didn't want to!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Ok thanks that's very kind. I pm'ed you back but not sure if it went through as I got an error message.
Yeah thanks I'll give you a ring at 7
Cheers
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:Yeah I'll sell you the fork seals, I'll pm you my number, give me a call tonight and we can have a chat, I learnt alot about the rs when I was riding it, even though I didn't want to!
So sorry I didn't ring you tonight, I was working in the garage till 8:30 and didn't realise what the time was, then got cleaned up and my girlfriend whisked me off to the pub.

It has been a productive evening though, managed to get the fork seals sealed with my little £4 scraper tool, worked a treat, front wheel/tyre degreased and cleaned of all the fork oil,
Broken indicator wire fixed,
headlight fixed properly,
found an exhaust mount bolt missing so replaced that,
oiled gear linkages and moving parts and glued right side indicator back in place (it was snapped)
the chain is getting loose and the rear wheel is as far back as it will go, it is a split chain so I'm tempted to take it off degrease and remove a link so I can tighten the chain up properly (can't afford new chain and sprocket at the moment).
I noticed there is some play in the back sprocket holder as well so will need to sort that out. So far I think I need to just buy a new chain and sprocket set and the Cush drive rubbers and that should do it
I think thats everything, well apart from a new set of forks, the old ones are quite pitted and the chrome has chipped off.
All in all a productive afternoon. That fork tool seems to have worked a treat, scraped all sorts of crap out, even some metal chips off the forks were in there, no wonder it leaked lol, could do with putting some oil back in them but that can wait lol hopefully I'll only need it for a few weeks then I can take it off the road and go to town on it.
I haven't been riding it fast think the fastest I've been is 60 on the dual carriageway, I want to ride it sensibly and try not to blow it up lol
I'm thinking an engine rebuild is on the cards for her in the future, I've got big things in store for this bike should be a nice little project.

When I bought the bike the chap handed me two mirrors and said you can have them, cheers lol. I went on my way, when I tried to fit them I realised there is no mounting brackets and the springs are missing, got some ordered up though, it will be nice to see what's behind me, got them botched on there with some big washers at the moment but I have to lean over to see anything lol.

If I could pick your brains though that would be great, I need all the help I can get at the moment.

Hopefully the mirror brackets will be here tomorrow then I'll get them on, also get the spark plug out at the same time
Apparently the restricted ones use the br8es but full power uses br10eg so I'll have a looky tomorrow and see what's in there and order a new one
Hopefully a new plug might sort out pulling off from a stand still, at the moment I have to slip the clutch like mad to get it going but when it's moving its fine, well easy to stall this bike when going slow if in the wrong gear
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Ps
Sorry for the essay, been drinking
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »