Hello

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Hello

Post by Vaughn »

Hello people,
My name is Jon I'm 30 years old and I am now the proud owner of a 1989 zxr

I wanted to post some pictures but it doesn't seem to want to let me, I'm using tapatalk so might try from my pc later

The bike is in original mint condition and runs like a dream, just need to pass my test now.
I bought her today and should be able to pick her up Tuesday, well a friend is picking her up for me anyway.
Until I pass my test I'm going to have to settle for sitting on her and making motorbike noises while I slalom around my garage, and talk to her every day And blow smoke up her exhaust pipe.

I really can't wait to get this baby on the road.
Went out on the back of my mates 600 earlier, what a buzz doing 140 down the dual carriageway

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about this bike, some people says it's crap and handles pants but others say it's one of the quickest 400's and it handles well so I don't know what to believe, all I know is it was love at first sight, really hope I've made the right choice
After finding this forum and reading a few of your posts I'm starting to think it was a good buy

Is there any mods that are worth doing that at the same time would keep the bike pretty much original??
Or is it best to just leave it standard.

What a great website by the way, everything you need to know about the zxr all in one place.
Hopefully I will be a happy zxr owner for years to come, although my friends tell me give it 6 months and I'll want something bigger lol

Edit: sorry just realised I posted in the wrong section
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Hello

Post by banner001 »

1. get used to riding a nippy bike and dont sling it down the road the first week.
2. dont be a dick.
3. if modding, do it tastefully, no anodised bits of toad or fake-carbon twat-fiber everywhere where its not needed...
4. dont be a dick.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Thanks for your reply.
Some good advice there, I want to keep the bike as standard as I can so there will be no need for carbon fibre or anodised bits.
Your right though when you say don't be a dick, in my younger days I have been known to smash up a few cars, that's why I stopped riding bikes (used to have a dt50 when I was 16) but I have calmed down nowadays I think so should be ok.
Plus I've been watching videos on YouTube of people crashing and I realise how easy it is to make mistakes, some of the crashes the biker wasn't even gunning it, one was from a gouge in the road so it's been a bit of an eye opener for me.
When I've passed my test I'm thinking about doing an advanced rider course as well, might even look into going on a track day.

Thanks for posting anyway
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ride like noone can see you, be observant, and learn the limitations of you and your machine, and you will be fine :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

banner001 wrote:ride like noone can see you, be observant, and learn the limitations of you and your machine, and you will be fine :D
Hmmm yeah I like that, ride like no one can see you, makes sense, thanks
I'm planning on only using it to get to work for the first few weeks just to get used to it, 30 mph speed limits all the way.
Going to avoid going out with mates for a ride for the first few weeks as well, they are all nutters on bikes lol, well except one anyway.

Can't wait to get my provisional back and book my das

I was supposed to be getting the bike today but it's been raining heavy all day here and my mate decided to give it a miss for today, can't say I blame him though.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Finally tapatalk is letting me post a photo so here goes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368558679.075419.jpg
Hope it came out ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossco111
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by rossco111 »

Are you from Bournemouth / Poole? Swear I've seen that at GR sports bikes?
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

rossco111 wrote:Are you from Bournemouth / Poole? Swear I've seen that at GR sports bikes?
That's right, I'm in Poole.
GR sports bikes is in parkstone just off Ashley road, Poole road I think

Just had my baby out in the garden for a full clean and polish, she's gleaming now, should have took some photos but I already had her locked up in the garage when I thought about the camera.
Our garden is shingled and the wheels just sank in and I couldn't move it, good excuse to start her up and give her some beans.
Moved her 3 times with the engine now and my confidence is getting better.
1st time I got on it it's fair to say I was pretty terrified of what was gonna happen when I let the clutch out.
I can ride a bike, well could ten years ago but the biggest bike I've been on is a 125 and even that was daunting so this little beast is a whole new experience for me.
Can't wait for my test
5th June is theory and hazard perception, 6th cbt, 12th mod1, 20th mod2 and 5 days of training in between
Happy days
rossco111

Post by rossco111 »

Good times, you will be on the road soon!

I'm only in Bournemouth so not far!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

rossco111 wrote:Good times, you will be on the road soon!

I'm only in Bournemouth so not far!
Do you go out on your zxr much??

Yeah getting there, only trouble is if my licence hasn't turned up by Wednesday my theory will have to be cancelled and rescheduled, Wednesday is the deadline, hopefully it'll get here in time.
Got my Id back on Thursday so it might just make it.

I've been practicing like mad on the theory and hazard perception, think I've got it nailed.

I've noticed that there is a strong smell of fuel coming from the filler cap so I've bought a whole new unit and some shiny new bolts.
Also while I'm on the fuel tank I thought I would get it emptied and de rust it.
Just bought some surfex HD and some deox-c.
I figured while the bike is off road nows the perfect time to do it
Just got to wait for it to turn up now so hopefully that will be a job for next weekend.

I want to get some kind of jack to lift my bike off the ground and be able to take the wheels off and things without the worry of it falling over.
Maybe even if it would be possible to get to the sump bolt for an oil change
Been looking on eBay but really don't know if any of them are up to the job.
Any suggestions??
Thanks
rossco111

Post by rossco111 »

Yeah I commute on mine every day plus ride most weekends :-)

In regards to removing yours wheels etc, you can either get a front and rear paddock stand or by a motorcycle jack.

The motorcycle jack looks something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1500lb-68 ... 1200195105

To be honest, the front and rear paddock stands is the best and safest way to do things.

Hope your licence gets here in time. It's annoying having to re-book your theory test and things.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Yeah I bought mine to commute to work on every day.
May sound a silly question but do you still go out when it's icy?? If so is there anything you do to give yourself more traction, maybe let a little air out the tires or something?? Or is it best just to stay away from riding in icy conditions??

Never needed transport being so close to work but now we are moving so got to get on the road pretty sharp. To be honest I should have done this a long time ago, it's so exciting.

Really I would have thought the jack would have been safer, was looking at paddock stands but I didn't think they would be any good.
I'm new to all this though so need all the advice I can get lol.
I'll have a look at paddock stands again then.
Do you ever go to bike night on Tuesdays at the quay??
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

My world has just come to an end,
Spoke to the dvla today and my license has been held up and could take another 3 weeks.
Absolutely gutted, had my theory test booked for next Wednesday, cbt Thursday and mod 1+2 over the next couple of weeks.
Had to cancel it all for now until this stupid piece of plastic turns up not a happy chappy
jimsym

Post by jimsym »

Bad luck buddy.

I must ask, what on earth has caused your license to be delayed for 3 weeks? Im my experience, as long as you dot the i's and cross the t's the DVLA usually have pretty good turnarounds.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

jimsym wrote:Bad luck buddy.

I must ask, what on earth has caused your license to be delayed for 3 weeks? Im my experience, as long as you dot the i's and cross the t's the DVLA usually have pretty good turnarounds.
Well I got disqualified when I was 18 and it's something to do with that. I spoke to dvla about a week ago and they said everything was ok and he would try and put it through a bit quicker, then I speak to them yesterday and tell me it could take another 3 weeks. Not happy
They told me i might have to do a medical but she wasn't sure, I got disqualified for driving a friends car with no insurance so hopefully won't need to do the medical