Bike's been stood for a while - metal cleaning!

Moderator: Moderators

claireyskillz
My Bike: 1996 ZXR 400

Bike's been stood for a while - metal cleaning!

Post by claireyskillz »

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum
I've just bought a 1996 ZXR. It's been sat for a few years, so I've had all the insides checked and cleaned up the chain nicely... the next thing is that some of the metal work has a kinda surface tarnishing and some is a bit rusty. I've read about a bit but am unsure what I can use on the different metals.
Here are some links to the photos of what I've got:

Some advice would be great
GoldenBalls213
My Bike: ZXR 400

Re: Bike's been stood for a while - metal cleaning!

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Hi... welcome to the forum! :smt006

I would start by using some WD40 and a green scotch bright pad first off!.. u dont want to start scatching the metal!

Failing that some light oil and some very fine wire wool!..

There are also products available like hammerite rust remover but i've not used these myself so cant comment!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

For the ally parts, Autosol.
stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Post by stonemonkey »

for any rust I soak parts in vinegar (see my build thread for an example), although be warned that it may eat and zinc coatings but cuts through grease great and chemically attacks rust dissolving it away. :excited
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Apart from the tarnish that look to be in good condition.

Top yolk nut - buy a new one

Tup yolk, rearsets and can strap as Rob says, Autosol but this will not remove the surface damge caused by it just polish it. You need polishing mops with cutting soap then optical brightner on felt mop to get it back to a mirror finish ( was never that from factory). To keep factory look then autosol with about a 00 or 000 steel wool will keep that look.

Try a new brillo pad - only on aluminium alloy (bare) as they work wonders too. Once the soap runs out use a new one.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

I'm in a similar problem - loads and loads of ally corrosion!

I was thinking of getting the lot blasted and treated, something gentle like aqua or vapour blasting. But I'm a bit hazy on the details, and not too sure what finish/protecting treatment to use - powder coating, plating, laquering etc. I want something tough and durable. I'd love mirror polished, but I know I'd struggle to keep it looking that way, even with a naked bike that's easy to clean. Any ideas?
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
Tom mccrea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: H1zxr400&cbr600fw

Post by Tom mccrea »

I did the badly pitted forks years ago on one of my old bikes with a very fine wet and dry 800 grit or finer followed by labour intensive autosol. Got a real good mirror finish but as you say can be difficult to maintain that finish, and where do you stop? Actually thinking of attacking the zxr with autosol but I know it's going to be a real pain