idle speed running very very high!!

Moderator: Moderators

belroy
My Bike: N reg ZXR400

idle speed running very very high!!

Post by belroy »

Ive just de-restricted my N reg zxr 400 L model. its a uk bike NOT AN IMPORT and was restriced to 33bhp by 4 washers in the carbs which i have now removed.(any body want to buy them) since removing these it ticks over at anywhere between 2000 and 4000 and right up to 7000 with the choke fully on!!!! it still goes like f*** when running with no probs i even did a 200 mile ride round north wales yesturday. my thinking is to adjust the OFF throttle cable so it pulls the hammer on the side of the carb down a touch further as when i push it down with my finger the idle speed seems fine then jumps back up when i let go. as far as i can see the cable is ajusted as far in as it will go but if it is what are my other options?

my mate said i might need to re-jet the carbs but that seems like a alot of work for what i can make out is a millimeter or so of adjustment on the cable i mentioned before.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: idle speed running very very high!!

Post by RedexRobB »

id say your right in that its the cable adjument rather than any re-jetting!

Adjusting the cable is good but if the hammer is being lifted back up on its own its probably a problem elsewhere.

I would back the idle adjuster right off and apply some oil to the return springs between the carbs and work it in by opening and closing the throttle (engine off of course) see if that does anything for them. (Obviously screw the idle adjuster back in after :) ) Check the cable routing with that in the manual and run some oil down the cables, not only will that make the throttle action alot smoother but that will also elliminate any friction in the sleeve stopping the cable from allowing the throttle to return to fully off. Lastsly it may even be the opening cable thats stopping it return to fully closed, so consider adjusting that as well as the return cable.

:)
belroy

Post by belroy »

when the on cable is off(god this is gonna get confusing) it has a bit if play in it so its not that that is pulling the hammer up but ye ill try taking the cable off and re-setting it and oiling it. if its not that is there any thing else it might be?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

can only think of the return springs that may be a bit crudded up. Im assuming it didnt do this before you took the restrictors out? In which case im assuming you put something back wrong or youve disturbed something in the process. Let us know how you get on :)
belroy

Post by belroy »

haha the jubilee clips around the rubber bungs were in the wrong position after we de restricted it, they were stopping the carbs closing properly....... cant belive it i was such a mong cheers though lads
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Pleased to hear youve got it sorted, 9 times out of 10 its usually the case that we've put something back together wrong that things arent right afterwards.