running probs

Moderator: Moderators

carlingboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 L1

running probs

Post by carlingboy »

Put some fuel in today and she started but she doesn't like to run with out choke on and revs very high, i also noticed i have wat seems to be a slack throttle first quater turn of throttle doesn't do nething. any advice or tips greatly appreaciated . also i have found a cable which hangs out right side of bike near rear brake with an adjuster type thing on end is this nething to do with tick over??

Any body near Ipswich who could possibly help service it and get it ready for an mot (for a reasonable price) I could take it to a garage but i'm such a luddite they could tell me anything and i would believe them.bit cheeky i know but hey no harm in trying ..
There are only three kinds of people; people who can count and people who can't.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: running probs

Post by masterofinsanity »

the cable with the adjuster on the end is your tickover so try adjusting that if its revving too high, might be set way too high which is why you have some slack in the throttle.you can adjust the throttle also by removing the tank and airbox and adjusting the takeup in the cables.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
carlingboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by carlingboy »

cheers for that finally got round to doing exactly that today and it is now running what i would say is normal ,,,, when idling i can hear a tapety ticking from right side of engine is this normal for a bike of this age ? i have not let the engine run to long to warm up yet as i need to change oil. sorry to be a pain but is there a simple way of knowing how taught the chain should be as i have had a new trye fitted and put wheel on myself cheers.
There are only three kinds of people; people who can count and people who can't.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

have a look in the manual i think its about 25mm play but need to check several points to allow tight spots.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
carlingboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by carlingboy »

Thankyou for your quik replys masterofinsanity been a great help I have however another question i'm sure u will be able to help me with..

the person i purchased my bike from told me he removed fuel filter so i brought a new one i found out where it should go only to find one in place, I then contacted the guy and he said it was a filter which was pencil shaped and possibly came from fuel tap or there abouts from wat he can remeber . the one i got was was about an inch and half round and about 3 inch long which goes between the fuel line. have u ever come across a pencil shaped filter?????? biggrin
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

maybe he removed the drain pipe from the fuel tank, if you look at the back of the fuel tank (yes you will have to take it off) there's a little stub, there should be a small pipe that runs from the stub down the back of the engine.
its to allow any rain water collecting around the fuel cap to drain away and not into the fuel.

or it could be he has removed the filter from inside the tank which sounds like it, you need this filter to stop your fuel tap blockin up. its inside the fuel tank and you need to remove the tap to gain access.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Hey mate, i 'may' be up Ipswich way next weekend. If you still need a hand let me know and ill come help you give your bike the once over.
carlingboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by carlingboy »

ooh that would be great thankyou i would love someone who is in the know to have a look and see wat it might need that would be great cheers mate biggrin