ZXR engine + tickover problems

Moderator: Moderators

wolfyys

ZXR engine + tickover problems

Post by wolfyys »

I have just recieved an 1993 ZXR 400, however I have afew issues i need to sort out.

Firstly, it doesnt sound like an Inline 4 under 6000rpm, but more like a single cylinder (Odd i Know)

It is also very groggy (Revs arnt smooth), but the power still comes after 10,000rpm.

secondly it will not, hot or cold tick over, regardless of what the choke is set at, (it will also stick at 2500rpm, drop to tickover then die)

the bike is abit of a hand-full compared to my 03 CBR600RR and I wonder why this is.

and to finalize, it is very quiet, even with a Micron end can on?, the baffle is in, but it is too quiet (maybe im just belng paranoid lol)

I know somethings wrong as my mates CB400 and my 600RR sound absolutely fine, and this is very rough.

cheers wolfyys
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: ZXR engine + tickover problems

Post by zimm »

firstly, they're never as smooth as a honda ..

but yours does sound a bit fecked.

probably a combination of carbs needing a good clean/setup, and making sure you are getting a spark at all 4 plugs, HT leads can break down and arc to the cam cover, plugs can foul irreversibly

hanging at 2500rpm is a sign of running lean, could be a blocked jet ? or a leak at one (or more) of the inlet stubs (manifolds)

they are quite quiet with baffled cans (the link pipe is baffled too) hell, my old L with a full race micron system on it was so quiet I couldnt even hear it from trackside when a mate borrowed it for a few sessions at cadwell.. stealth bike .. lol.
wolfyys

Post by wolfyys »

i only got the bike at 5 oclock today, im goinf to strip it and see what needs doing, but i did think the the carbs were dirty/fouled up, so im going to replace all consumables,

air filter, oil filter, check the HT leads and have the carbs cleaned and re-balanced.

could contaminated fuel cause any similar problems?

as for the sticking tick-over ive yet to find the cause, i did think the throttle cable could be sticking, but im unsure.. its just it dies as well so im sure the engine noise/tickover are connected in some way..
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Not sure why it won't idle, but with mine the revs tend hang then drop when the idle screw is too far in.