Well its back together

Moderator: Moderators

parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Well its back together

Post by parby81 »

Okey dokey, so the head gasket has been done as has the speedo drive. All back together with a new clutch cable, though i have had to adjust that fully already so i think a new clutch may be on the way soon.

Now then, i've sync'd the carbs and they are all nice. But still the engine seems hesitant. Straight off on the revs, then from 3 pulls nice to 8, then bogs down a bit, say 5 seconds then takes off again. I'm going to try the old redex trick. Other thing, sometimes the bike sitts at 2000 rpm and other times drops down to 1500. I'm thinking a leak on the inlet side, which could also explain the major hesitant flat spots. Others opinions?

Also, can some one tell me where the mixture screws are, i've looked in the manuals and on the microfiche, but i cannae find them. Are they on the bottom, left/right etc? a photo would be nice.

Cheers

Mart

oh, and does anyone know the size of the o rings in the oil cooler, got a slight leak there when the oil has warmed up nicely.
These things are sent to try us!!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Well its back together

Post by zimm »

could be an intake leak as you say, or it could just be lean.. mixture screws are a giraffe to get to and are on the bottom of the carbs in the middle (ish) at the front.. out is richer.

is your bike an H or an L ? if an H have you got the airbox rubber/intake trumpets correctly installed without them being all squished up on the carbs ? they are a sod to get on straight and can cause all manner of nasty flatspots.
gt185
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by gt185 »

My two bobs worth, if it is the air intake trumpet do-da's.
The only way I could get them on correctly, was actually to remove them from the
airbox itself. Fit them over the carbs, and use elastic bands to close over the bell
mouth ends. You're left with 4 cone shapes.
That then allows you to fit the air-box onto the intakes, while making sure they're
sitting as they should on the carbs.
Once in situ, you reach into the air-box and take the elastic bands off, opening
the bell mouths up again.
It's the only way I could get the things on, without the rubber being squashed
and sitting correctly.
My tip? Always remember to take the elastic bands off though, for some reason
the bike didn't like sucking air in through tiny openings. Funny that!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

if they are manked,

i remove them from the airbox, heat them till soft and pliable with a hair-dryer (or hot air gun paint stripper thing, or oven..) then place them on the carbs individually and leave to cool down and go hard again.. then repeat and repeat and repeat until they hold sthe shape of the carbs perfectly, then carefully re-fit to the airbox and pop the whole shebang back on carefully feeling round the inside to check they arent kinking over again.

at this point i normally remember that i have to do something with the needles meaning it all has to come off.. break something and go and have a cup of tea.

tis an utterly shite design as the airbox itself warps with heat/age so holds the rubbers in the wrong place for the carbs anyway meaning even new ones are a paint to get on right.

the system on the L is much better.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

It is an L model, so no problems with any trumpets or the likes guys.

Seems a bit of an butt having the mixture screws underneath, not exactly easy to get to. I'll hve another look see today and see what i can sort out. Think i'll have to take them off and check that there are no air leaks/crushed rubbers etc etc anywhere.

Cheers

Mart
These things are sent to try us!!