won't start

Moderator: Moderators

carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

won't start

Post by carsounds_dan »

put her back together today after checking and adjusting the valve clearances only to find that she doesnt want to start, she catches and fires on one or two cylinders every now and then but it just stalls again, never actually getting enough power to idle by itself.
Basically I reset the idle adjuster to the minimum earlier and also adjusted the throttle and choke cables as per the manual, tryed a bit of easy start but even that is a no-go. I just don't understand why it's not firing, the carbs are getting fuel, it's got spark, the valve clearances are spot on... I just dont know lol
any help would be greatly appriciated
cheers
dan
The bike only goes as fast as you want it to...
...i know, it's great :D
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: won't start

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like mine :-) have you flooded it?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

prob right baz, whip them plugs out, clean and reset, then stick em on the gas oven for a few minutes whack em in and itll fire up right away :smt003
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

went back to it a minute ago, a bit of throttle and she started first time. she's still a bit rattly on the topend tho which is a bit of a bummer but hey ho (hopefully Rob will tell me if it's terminal when I headup at the weekend).Had her running without any airbox on and I noticed if I opened the throttle up fast enough it seemed like some blowback was coming through the carbs, the bit you can see of the carb was sliding towards the front of the bike and a fine haze of what i'm guessing was fuel was coming at me... never enough to clear the bellmouths but enough to be noticable... wondered if it was a problem thing or just the fact that they havent been balanced in ages, arent jetted for the micron and are generally old.
cheers
dan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

They are all a bit noisy top end mate, but will have a listen for you! Have you balanced the carbs? Can do that quickly while your here if you want? Im popping home tomo to pick a few bits can pick up the gauges while im at it.
carsounds_dan
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by carsounds_dan »

maybe, i borrowed some from a friendly bike shop down the road so might do them.. might not if you get what i mean, i'll text u by lunchtime to let you know lol
cheers
dan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Okies mate. Its definately something worth doing, especially after you have done the clearances! Improves throttle response, fuel consumption, engine life and the ride in general :D
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

when you doing mine then :smt005
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

When/if, you pass your test :smt016 Actually wasnt your on tuesday?
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

RedexRobB wrote:When/if, you pass your test :smt016 Actually wasnt your on tuesday?
was cancelled due to weather. now due on 4th march!!