lumpy Revs

Moderator: Moderators

shakey
My Bike: tomos moped

lumpy Revs

Post by shakey »

I recently had a problem with it running on a bit after throttling off it would hang at 2.5k then eventually settle back down and the nice mot man failed it on this. Anyway after getting another set of carbs form ams we swaped the diaphrams over and problem solved.

The revs spluttered a bit arround 4-5000 rpm before but now it's quite bad to the point where it's really annoying me. The mechanic who swapped it all over said he thinks its been dyno'd as the needles are not tapered but stepped at various stages.

Obviously the carbs are a bit worn but anyone else had this problem or know the solution? Also anyone know how much the replacement sliders/diaphrams are He seemd to think £70 each and needing 4 makes it an expensive job!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: lumpy Revs

Post by masterofinsanity »

be cheaper to get another set of carbs wouldn't it, dont you have the old ones that you could chop about and make a good set out of the 2??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
shakey
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by shakey »

This is with the best bits out of both the carbs. I suppose I could get another second hand set and see what arrives. Any light on the needles?
rossd

Post by rossd »

My bike does the same thing the revs dont drop down they stop at about 2.5k then drop i read somewhere on here it was to do with the bike running lean ?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

i dont know westher your bike is an L or an H, but ive only seen the "stepped" needles you refer to in a 1988 ZX-4, every H or L ive had has been fitted with smoothly tapered needles. (even the dynojet kit needles are smooth, they are just adjustable)

if you have some smooth needles i'd try them first.

the midrange splutter (like its trying to clear its throat the morning after the night before?) is likely down to the float heights being set too high allowing it to run rich as soon as it moves off the pilot jet.